hypex ncore - Page 614 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2013, 02:57 AM   #6131
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by OllBoll View Post
That thing was fixed ages ago =)

What remains though is the problem that the tweeters shouldn't really be crossed that low and the main driver can't be crossed much higher and so to fix that you would need 4th order XO which would be beyond a passive design.

In the end it still works good enough at moderate levels but I will ensure that my oncoming speaker I'm designing myself won't have this issue =)

Yeah - I see.
Sometimes it makes more sense to start from scratch and deal with the issues at the drawing board

What XO point would you prefer since the woofer should get into problems?
Iīd guess that simplicity would be your friend and that you could actually benefit greatly by including the acoustic roll off and using an undersized coil...
  Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2013, 03:07 AM   #6132
robbbby is offline robbbby  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juhleren View Post
@robbbby,
Bruno has claimed that biwiring a passive speaker all the way back to the ncore terminals should (i guess theoretically) offer what biamping can due to the high DF.

biamping (also passively) should provide improved working conditions for each amp though in the particular case of ncore i donīt think it has been empirically established yet. One claimed that the audible load-dependency between a serial and a parallel connection of his speakers relied more on the cables he used. That could indicate that Brunoīs statement above convey to practice also...
What do you mean exactly by DF, sorry i'm not familiar with the acronym.

Also with regards to passively biamping improving the working conditions for each amp, how would that differ, if at all, using a separate power supply for each amp versus sharing one power supply for 2 amplifiers. Does something of this nature just come down to total potential output in terms of wattage?
  Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2013, 03:11 AM   #6133
OllBoll is offline OllBoll  Sweden
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juhleren View Post
Yeah - I see.
Sometimes it makes more sense to start from scratch and deal with the issues at the drawing board

What XO point would you prefer since the woofer should get into problems?
Iīd guess that simplicity would be your friend and that you could actually benefit greatly by including the acoustic roll off and using an undersized coil...
I'd move the XO point a little bit higher, 1800-2000 and cross more steeply than I do now. While steep crossovers have their issues the tweeter distorts a lot so I believe it would be the lesser of evils.
  Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2013, 03:28 AM   #6134
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbbby View Post
What do you mean exactly by DF, sorry i'm not familiar with the acronym.

Also with regards to passively biamping improving the working conditions for each amp, how would that differ, if at all, using a separate power supply for each amp versus sharing one power supply for 2 amplifiers. Does something of this nature just come down to total potential output in terms of wattage?
DF was for damping factor and thereby low output impedance -sorry for not expressing that clearly.

Regarding deploying one or two smpsīs per side if biamping, I have no pratical experience. That said some have reported that using one smps per ncore in a standard stereo setup sounded better. Others claim that it shouldnīt make audible difference -while seemingly not testing whether it does or not...

Though the PSR is much more refined on the ncore Iīd guess that it isnīt immune to the PS...

Not very helpful here I know
  Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2013, 03:34 AM   #6135
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by OllBoll View Post
I'd move the XO point a little bit higher, 1800-2000 and cross more steeply than I do now. While steep crossovers have their issues the tweeter distorts a lot so I believe it would be the lesser of evils.
2khz shouldnīt be a problem for that woofer -the tweets on the other hand probably works better from 3-4khz and up....

Have you tried to adjust the coil (simple 1. order) for a somewhere flat mid response on the woofer and then see how high it goes?

The summing of the drivers will be quite "special" anyway due to the construction...
  Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2013, 03:40 AM   #6136
robbbby is offline robbbby  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Still very helpful, I don't expect anyone to give recommendations based on anything they haven't tried themselves.
Like I said, just going over my entire system now that I am getting some real speakers, want to see where it is worthwhile to make improvements so that my whole system is up to par with with my speakers, figured amplification would be the first thing to sort out since i'm not too crazy about upgrading to expensive speaker and power cables or going crazy with power conditioners.
  Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2013, 04:14 AM   #6137
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Glad that I could help then.

With ncore and revel Iīd probably look at the source components. Nothing can restore what has not been extracted from the media in the first place
  Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2013, 10:10 AM   #6138
Julf is online now Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juhleren View Post
Regarding deploying one or two smpsīs per side if biamping, I have no pratical experience. That said some have reported that using one smps per ncore in a standard stereo setup sounded better. Others claim that it shouldnīt make audible difference -while seemingly not testing whether it does or not...
Well, I can report, based on personal experience, that (at least at the power levels that I use) a smps600 shared between 2 nc400's works just fine, with no degradation in sound quality compared to dedicated smps's.
  Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2013, 11:40 AM   #6139
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julf View Post
Well, I can report, based on personal experience, that (at least at the power levels that I use) a smps600 shared between 2 nc400's works just fine, with no degradation in sound quality compared to dedicated smps's.
I am almost certain that Bruno said he could hear no difference between 1 or 2 power supplies and one supply is capable of powering amps to full power. If you were to use mono-blocks then of course 2 supplies are required, but the benefit would be more from separate chassis and shorter speaker cable.
__________________
Michael
  Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2013, 11:49 AM   #6140
Julf is online now Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_mcf View Post
If you were to use mono-blocks then of course 2 supplies are required, but the benefit would be more from separate chassis and shorter speaker cable.
Well, I get the best of both worlds, having a box with 4 nCores and 2 smps's placed right under each speaker, with very short speaker cables.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hypex problem, who can help Hansms Class D 9 18th August 2013 06:49 AM
Hypex steveww Class D 14 18th November 2010 01:44 PM
Question for those who have tried hypex smps with hypex modules avian Class D 12 3rd March 2009 09:30 AM
Hypex UcD 180AD + signal wires, Power Supply ST, Hypex Transformer TR100A c10h12n2 Swap Meet 7 7th July 2007 03:55 PM
FS: Hypex UcD 400/180AD, hypex toroid Archmage Swap Meet 4 14th November 2006 04:23 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 10:22 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright Đ1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2