hypex ncore - Page 603 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th January 2013, 10:08 AM   #6021
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esperado View Post
Resistances does not islolate RFI, but we are talking of an 'attenuator', right ?
Right. So from a RFI/EMI point of view it is not any better than what you get by lowering the gain of the nc400.
Old 17th January 2013, 10:18 AM   #6022
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaakso View Post
@mr_push_pull: understood. As a moderator in our local hifi forum I have become very allergic to those kind of comments. If it were, it is BCP to mark it as one by adding smiley or to.
Very allergic to humor ?
Smileys ? In the real life, did you smile at your own jokes, or at the contrary, did-you try to stay as serious as possible ?
Of course, it requires a minimum of respect for the intelligence of a contributor, reading a comment like this, to understand it is a joke, and, anyway, i do not see where could be any attack or injury in the mr_push_pull's joke, even if you read-it first degree.
On the contrary, your post can be considered as a personal attack against him.
Please think to all that, mister the , hum, 'moderator'.
We have not build Internet to return in middle aged inquisition, and, running a forum myself, i request from my moderators the most extreme respect of deontology and freedom of expression. In fact, we moderate only in extreme situations (means near never) and everything is smooth and friendly.

Last edited by Esperado; 17th January 2013 at 10:34 AM.
Old 17th January 2013, 10:20 AM   #6023
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julf View Post
Right. So from a RFI/EMI point of view it is not any better than what you get by lowering the gain of the nc400.
The RFI will be reduced 'before' the first active stage of the amp and its parasitic capacitance. And you can add an additional cap to filter further. Agree ?
Old 17th January 2013, 10:46 AM   #6024
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The RFI will be reduced 'before' the first active stage of the amp and its parasitic capacitance. And you can add an additional cap to filter further. Agree ?
Sure, but you can add a cap anyway, if you feel you need it for some reason.
Old 17th January 2013, 02:58 PM   #6025
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaakso View Post
As a moderator in our local hifi forum
Which one? (just out of curiosity)
Old 17th January 2013, 03:03 PM   #6026
pos is offline pos  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Ok. Then, for them, and them only, it will bring an improvement. While, i wonder how an amp with 124dB of signal-noise ratio can be heard on a 100dB/w speaker
It can on a 110dB/1w/1m compression driver and horn, and these are very common devices around here.

I have a JBL 2450SL compression driver with a 16ohms Truextent Be diaphragm.
Despite the 3dB lower sensitiviy compared to the 8ohms version (that choice was made on purpose), I can definitly hear some hiss on a 90x50 CD horn at a 2m distance (with the amplifier alone, no source). It would be even more audible with a norrower directivity horn (60x40 for example) or a beaming horn (tractrix, expo, etc.).

A gain selector would have been a must, but Bruno has already explained how difficult it would have been for it to be non intrusive...
Old 17th January 2013, 03:12 PM   #6027
ds23man is offline ds23man  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Let get some facts straight:

Horn loaded drivers ( compression drivers included) do not need a high damping factor because of the high acoustic loading on the diaphragm. The damping is for 99.99% controled by this. That is why they work so nice with tube amps.

So a L-pad or a series resistor will not harm the sound quality!
Old 17th January 2013, 03:20 PM   #6028
pos is offline pos  Europe
diyAudio Member

Agreed, and an autoformer will even preserve a good damping factor.
That is why I let those R141 alone for now (and also because I am scared to even touch those things with a solering iron...).
Still, I would prefer getting ride of them...
Old 17th January 2013, 03:21 PM   #6029
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds23man View Post
So a L-pad or a series resistor will not harm the sound quality!
More than that, it will help.
The good practice with horn driver is: Or to feed them in current, or to compensate them both for selfic and motional impedance.
Once you get a flat impedance curve, you can set a passive attenuator to them. They don't need electrical damping, and your amp will thank-you for the reduced motional signal's attenuation in his feedback loop.
Jean Michel on LeCleac'h horns

Last edited by Esperado; 17th January 2013 at 03:24 PM.
Old 17th January 2013, 03:27 PM   #6030
diyAudio Member

Quote:
They don't need electrical damping, and your amp will thank-you for the reduced motional signal's attenuation in his feedback loop.
I am aware of the fact that English isn't the native language of either of us, but I do not understand what you are saying here.

Hide this!Advertise here!