Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th January 2013, 11:51 PM   #6011
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julf View Post
Well, in that case something was definitely wrong with your set-up. Probably forcing your pre-amp into clipping.

"You hear what you believe". Have you ever heard of perceptual bias?

Once again: Pen & Teller: Water Waiter (the relevant part starts at 5:00)

Naah, you will just be accused of subjectivism and lack of scientific rigour...
yeah not that I disagree in general, but I do kinda object to this video being presented as a test that they actually did think they all tasted different. to me, particularly the restaurant section, its clear to me that they are making **** up to cover the fact that they couldnt taste any difference, but they didnt want to come across as unsophisticated, so they spouted nonsense. of course this is a factor in audio too, but it kinda dominates the result of the test IMO.
Old 17th January 2013, 12:20 AM   #6012
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

I did forget how awesome they are though HA, just watched the fengshui one too
Old 17th January 2013, 05:56 AM   #6013
jlaakso is offline jlaakso  Finland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_push_pull View Post
your system is not resolving.
back to square one!
Is this ment to be a joke or sarcasm? Forgot your smilies? Do You even know what is in his rig? These kind of comments I would expect from a beginner trying to defend his own choices while buying one's first rig, blind. As I have read Your posts in the past, this shouldn't be the case though.
Old 17th January 2013, 06:32 AM   #6014
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mr_push_pull
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaakso View Post
Is this ment to be a joke or sarcasm? Forgot your smilies? Do You even know what is in his rig? These kind of comments I would expect from a beginner trying to defend his own choices while buying one's first rig, blind. As I have read Your posts in the past, this shouldn't be the case though.
I've been known to forget smilies now and then.

it was a joke aimed at the fact that the objectivist vs subjectivist debate is circular almost by definition. each camp can always bring an argument that "resets" the discussion.
Old 17th January 2013, 09:06 AM   #6015
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
its clear to me that they are making **** up to cover the fact that they couldnt taste any difference, but they didnt want to come across as unsophisticated, so they spouted nonsense.
Agree.

Quote:
of course this is a factor in audio too
A pretty significant one, I would say...
Old 17th January 2013, 09:07 AM   #6016
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
I did forget how awesome they are though HA, just watched the fengshui one too
I wish they had done one on audiophiles...
Old 17th January 2013, 09:24 AM   #6017
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaakso View Post
Is this ment to be a joke or sarcasm?
Why not the two ?
I do not understand this debate with the gain modification of the Ncore.
What is the noise figure output of it in the both figures ? Do unmodified Ncore noisy enough to be heard on high efficiency speakers ? If not, there is no interest to change its gain, and a resistive attenuator right at the input will do the job perfect, and can provide a better isolation of RFI/EMI in the input line.
With the huge open loop gain of the Ncore, i doubt any change in its feedback loop can bring any practical change in the damping factor: il will be limited mainly by the loudspeakers wires.
Old 17th January 2013, 09:32 AM   #6018
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esperado View Post
Do unmodified Ncore noisy enough to be heard on high efficiency speakers ?
That is what some users have reported.

Quote:
a resistive attenuator right at the input will do the job perfect
Perfect? It will spoil teh impedance matching between source and amp, and probably introduce some noise.

Quote:
and can provide a better isolation of RFI/EMI in the input line.
How do resistors isolate RFI/EMI?

Quote:
With the huge open loop gain of the Ncore, i doubt any change in its feedback loop can bring any practical change in the damping factor: il will be limited mainly by the loudspeakers wires.
Probably not a big change in damping factor, but a small improvement in distortion and signal-to-noise...
Old 17th January 2013, 09:47 AM   #6019
jlaakso is offline jlaakso  Finland
diyAudio Member

@mr_push_pull: understood. As a moderator in our local hifi forum I have become very allergic to those kind of comments. Which fortunately was not the case here and I (sort of) overreacted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esperado View Post
Why not the two ?
If it were, it is BCP to mark it as one by adding smiley or to. Otherwise it can and will be interpreted as open assault and/or "reset" comment as mr_push_pull said.

For the rest of You guys, sorry for the offtopic.
Old 17th January 2013, 10:04 AM   #6020
diyAudio Member

Quote:
That is what some users have reported.
Ok. Then, for them, and them only, it will bring an improvement. While, i wonder how an amp with 124dB of signal-noise ratio can be heard on a 100dB/w speaker: If will bring ~127db spl full power, so the noise will be 3db !!!! (remember a silent room noise is 30dBspl.
Quote:
Perfect? It will spoil teh impedance matching between source and amp, and probably introduce some noise.
How do resistors isolate RFI/EMI?
I doubt that, at this line level, the contribution of noise by a metal film low impedance attenuator brige is something to speak about.
Resistances does not islolate RFI, but we are talking of an 'attenuator', right ? And in the other sens, it brings an added isolation for the feedback loop of the previous preamp, if any.

Hide this!Advertise here!