hypex ncore - Page 593 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th January 2013, 11:36 AM   #5921
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds23man View Post
Why do people always want to change the gain? If you have high sensitive speakers, put a attenuater between your ncore and preamp!
What Is Gain Structure
Old 13th January 2013, 11:41 AM   #5922
diyAudio Member

It makes a lot of sense for us that run the DAC output straight into the Ncore.
Old 13th January 2013, 12:16 PM   #5923
ds23man is offline ds23man  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StigErik View Post
It makes a lot of sense for us that run the DAC output straight into the Ncore.
Yes, and a nice big wirewound potentiometer between the amp and speaker
Old 13th January 2013, 12:24 PM   #5924
diyAudio Member

I know what gainstructure is, been in pro audio for many years.

What I mean is the ncore has an output noise of 25uV and a signal to noise ratio of 125 db. Gain is only 26 db ( most pro audio amps are 36db). So if you get a hiss out of your speakers, the gainstructure before the ncore is wrong.

You have to solve the problem at the source!
Old 13th January 2013, 12:32 PM   #5925
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I know what gainstructure is, been in pro audio for many years.
I know you would know, that is why I was surprised you would ask.

Quote:
What I mean is the ncore has an output noise of 25uV and a signal to noise ratio of 125 db. Gain is only 26 db ( most pro audio amps are 36db). So if you get a hiss out of your speakers, the gainstructure before the ncore is wrong.

You have to solve the problem at the source!
There doesn't necessarily have to be a problem - but why would you on purpose give away some SNR? And Bruno has commented that the performance of the nc400 does improve a tiny bit with increased feedback (which is what you get if you lower the gain instead of attenuating the signal).

Any attenuating network will always compromise the impedance matching between source and amp to some degree. Whether it makes any audible difference is another matter, but why eschew an ideal solution in favour of an inferior one at the same cost and effort?
Old 13th January 2013, 12:50 PM   #5926
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julf View Post
...but why eschew an ideal solution in favour of an inferior one at the same cost and effort?
Well, it seems that the relatively simple task of desoldering an SMD resistor can turn into a disaster for quite a few people.
Considering NC400s are not exactly affordable modules, if one is not confident with his soldering skills, he'd be better off using attenuators.
Old 13th January 2013, 12:56 PM   #5927
diyAudio Member

Or reduce the gain of the preceding stage, the noise floor will get lower if you do that. Soldering on these modules is like Russian roulette for most of us.
Old 13th January 2013, 01:29 PM   #5928
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Or reduce the gain of the preceding stage
Definitely the easiest solution if there is provision for it. Many of us have sources with limited gain range.

Quote:
Soldering on these modules is like Russian roulette for most of us.
Right - but this is DIYaudio after all

I agree that people should be aware that the removal of R141 requires precision soldering and can go wrong.

I was simply responding to the question posted by ds23man, "Why do people always want to change the gain?", by pointing out there are good reasons to do it. Is it worth the risk? That's a different question.
Old 13th January 2013, 03:11 PM   #5929
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julf View Post
Definitely the easiest solution if there is provision for it. Many of us have sources with limited gain range.

Right - but this is DIYaudio after all

I agree that people should be aware that the removal of R141 requires precision soldering and can go wrong.

I was simply responding to the question posted by ds23man, "Why do people always want to change the gain?", by pointing out there are good reasons to do it. Is it worth the risk? That's a different question.
We can put this in another way: If I have high sensitivity speakers ( 100db+), why I want to use a high power amp?
Old 13th January 2013, 03:26 PM   #5930
diyAudio Member

Quote:
We can put this in another way: If I have high sensitivity speakers ( 100db+), why I want to use a high power amp?
Maybe you want to be able to play really loud?

Independent of your speaker sensitivity or amp power, you might have a situation where the last 10 dB of input amplitude make the amp clip. Lowering the amp gain 10 dB still allows you to play at full volume, but gives you 10 dB extra signal-to-noise ratio.

Hide this!Advertise here!