hypex ncore - Page 592 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th January 2013, 03:54 PM   #5911
diyAudio Member

As promised here are some pictures of my NC400īs in their acrylic housing. These cases were originally build for an xover. Thatīs why some holes are not properly drilled for the actual use. But it was the best way for me to bring my NCores to life and use them until I get the aluminium cases to build real big mono blocks. I think the NCores deserve that additional investment.
And, yes, the stands suit for my ARC Monos. They are a bit oversized for the actual cases. Waiting for the new cases...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2241TR.JPG (140.6 KB, 362 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2246TR.JPG (156.4 KB, 353 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2249TR.JPG (82.9 KB, 346 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2251TR.JPG (208.4 KB, 352 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2253TR.JPG (180.4 KB, 313 views)
Old 12th January 2013, 07:03 PM   #5912
diyAudio Member

Hello,

I get my new NCore and SMPS600 on thuesday. I am very happy with the sound.

As I need to lower the gain with my 100dB speakers, I removed R141 this morning.

One of the NC400 has now a problem
When it powers on, the red leds light on as expected and then I have a big "ploc" on the speaker, and another one a few seconds after (I unplugged the power to avoid damage on my speaker ...).
I tried it on my test speakers and it was the same ... the boomer moved a lot a very short time...

The other NC400 works as expected, with lower gain.

I dont know what to do...
I have sent an email to hypex support, I hope to get an answer next week.
Old 12th January 2013, 09:04 PM   #5913
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulkouhan View Post
Hello,

I get my new NCore and SMPS600 on thuesday. I am very happy with the sound.

As I need to lower the gain with my 100dB speakers, I removed R141 this morning.

One of the NC400 has now a problem
When it powers on, the red leds light on as expected and then I have a big "ploc" on the speaker, and another one a few seconds after (I unplugged the power to avoid damage on my speaker ...).
I tried it on my test speakers and it was the same ... the boomer moved a lot a very short time...
I would look for a solder bridge between two pads near R141, or perhaps a stray solder ball someplace else. This kind of work definitely wants a magnifying glass or magnifying goggles (which you need on general principles anyhow).
Old 12th January 2013, 09:07 PM   #5914
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliaswolf View Post
As promised here are some pictures of my NC400īs in their acrylic housing. These cases were originally build for an xover. Thatīs why some holes are not properly drilled for the actual use. But it was the best way for me to bring my NCores to life and use them until I get the aluminium cases to build real big mono blocks. I think the NCores deserve that additional investment.
And, yes, the stands suit for my ARC Monos. They are a bit oversized for the actual cases. Waiting for the new cases...
damn , so small , fascinating they work so well.....
Old 12th January 2013, 09:08 PM   #5915
diyAudio Member

I experienced exactly the same with one of my Ncores after removing R141. I cleaned the board for all solder remains with a toothbrush and the problem was solved.
Old 13th January 2013, 05:27 AM   #5916
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regnad View Post
I have both amps and would enjoy a visit if someone would like to listen to each...

The NC1200 has more power, right? With low-efficiency speakers couldn't that contribute to a difference (improvement)?

I did think that the NC400 sounded better at the speakers with 6" speaker wires.
Hi Regnad - now I am confused

Do you mean to say that the NC400 with 6" speaker wire outperforms the NC1200 with the longer speaker wire?

I thought you were indicating in an earlier post that the NC1200 sounded better even when using longer speaker wire?

Appreciate if you could clarify - thanks!
Old 13th January 2013, 09:39 AM   #5917
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StigErik View Post
I experienced exactly the same with one of my Ncores after removing R141. I cleaned the board for all solder remains with a toothbrush and the problem was solved.
thank you for your help.
I was thinking the same, but the toothbrush wash did not help.

One of the "pad" of R141 came with the resistor. I dont know if that can be the problem.

I will bring the ncore at work tomorrow, we have all the magnifiing glass we could dream of ...

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 13th January 2013, 09:56 AM   #5918
ds23man is offline ds23man  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I think you have a serious problem..... It is a multilayer board!
Old 13th January 2013, 11:08 AM   #5919
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulkouhan View Post
One of the "pad" of R141 came with the resistor. I dont know if that can be the problem.
Yes, that is a serious problem. Your nc400 is probably toast, as the pad has probably taken some of the inner layer connections with it.

I had the same thing happen to one of my 8 nCores as a result of rushing the desoldering job...
Old 13th January 2013, 11:23 AM   #5920
ds23man is offline ds23man  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Why do people always want to change the gain? If you have high sensitive speakers, put a attenuater between your ncore and preamp!

Hide this!Advertise here!