hypex ncore - Page 589 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th January 2013, 03:05 AM   #5881
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrows View Post
Is a well known fact that the two available nC1200 amplifiers (Merrill and Atsah) both use the stock input buffers on the nC1200 modules.

It will be more interesting when someone decides to pair the nC1200 modules with a different input buffer, as is the case with some of the regular Hypex amp modules.
Thanks barrows,

I see.

So the joke is the fact that the expensive commercial offerings use Bruno´s OP amp buffer whereas lucky DIY´ers can acquire the less expensive nc400 with Bruno´s discrete buffer -which the DIY´ers in fact called for themselves, and which reportedly sounds worse than the nc1200 which instead measures worse.

....And then we are to learn that none of the "snake oil" stuff that the commercial vendors do can "in fact" cause the preferred difference in performance to the mere nc400???

- I guess that "joke" isn´t that funny around here

Total inconsistency

Last edited by Juhleren; 9th January 2013 at 03:21 AM.
Old 9th January 2013, 04:16 AM   #5882
ds23man is offline ds23man  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjf View Post
Hello UA100k,

Thanks for your response and the added pictures. I can see that the back of the Merrill unit does indeed look much better layed out with higher quality speaker binding posts and XLR connection Input then the other offerings I have seen thus far.

I would still love to see some pics of guts of the unit but if that request would compromise any secrets used in its creation then I understand the hesitance to show that layout in all its glory. At least the product description mentions that some effort and material was expended to better isolate the various components from each other during the design/build phase of the amp.

Based solely on what I have seen in print and pictures and read from current owners, I give the Merrill Veritas a "Gold Star" over the competition at the moment; even if the IEC connector doesn't look to made of gold taken straight from an Egyptian Pharaohs lost stash.
Let me guess..... A piece of alu with two boxes milled inside, the smps behinde the IEC and the nc1200 on the other side? Plain rocket science!
And they did not bother to make a proper standby psu for the trigger input, it only mutes the nc1200 and does not put the smps in standby.
Old 9th January 2013, 04:27 AM   #5883
Regnad is offline Regnad  United States
diyAudio Member

I have both amps and would enjoy a visit if someone would like to listen to each...

The NC1200 has more power, right? With low-efficiency speakers couldn't that contribute to a difference (improvement)?

I did think that the NC400 sounded better at the speakers with 6" speaker wires.
Old 9th January 2013, 04:33 AM   #5884
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regnad View Post
I have both amps and would enjoy a visit if someone would like to listen to each...

The NC1200 has more power, right? With low-efficiency speakers couldn't that contribute to a difference (improvement)?

I did think that the NC400 sounded better at the speakers with 6" speaker wires.
With low-efficiency speakers the amp with more power will always have the advantage. But can you tell me if they sound different with normal eff. speakers?????
Old 9th January 2013, 04:37 AM   #5885
ro9397 is offline ro9397  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:

My speaker array comprises two identical monitors per channel, each monitor is 8 Ohm nominal/5.3 Ohm minimum. I have the unique ability to load my Ncore with two otherwise identical loads, 10.6 Ohm minimum or 2.65 Ohm minimum.

With 9AWG Ncore was more pure and transparent into 10.6 vs. 2.65 Ohms. With 4AWG parallel with separate 30AWG Ncore results inverted.

I suspect a certain percentage of persons not necessarily enthralled with Ncore heard it with less than ideal speaker cable.
Old 9th January 2013, 05:07 AM   #5886
diyAudio Member

Quote:

How many speakers with 87.5 dB sensitivity (mine) can handle more than the 500W my NC400 make into the 2.65 minimum impedance load?

My dual Dynaudio Esotec 17cm and dual Esotec D260 appear to thermally compress before NC400 runs out of steam, even in .35cf sealed enclosures and active HP crossed 2nd order @ 80 Hz! And that's three Trinaural channels, not two/stereo, in only 3k cf with moderate absorption/diffusion. (Admittedly 1st order @ 2.2 kHz, but tweeter is padded down 3-4 dB.)
Old 9th January 2013, 05:15 AM   #5887
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juhleren View Post
Thanks barrows,

I see.

So the joke is the fact that the expensive commercial offerings use Bruno´s OP amp buffer whereas lucky DIY´ers can acquire the less expensive nc400 with Bruno´s discrete buffer -which the DIY´ers in fact called for themselves, and which reportedly sounds worse than the nc1200 which instead measures worse.

....And then we are to learn that none of the "snake oil" stuff that the commercial vendors do can "in fact" cause the preferred difference in performance to the mere nc400???

- I guess that "joke" isn´t that funny around here

Total inconsistency
Man, that is depressing.

The DIY community screamed for discreet for NC400, which costs more, sounds worse, and measures better than the NC1200 op-amp which costs less, sounds better, and measures worse?

Is it not true that op-amps have multiples higher tolerance? What made the op-amp measure worse?

Man we are stupid! Or Bruno was for accommodating us!

Tell me you're kidding, puhleeeeeze!
Old 9th January 2013, 05:50 AM   #5888
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ro9397 View Post
Man, that is depressing.

The DIY community screamed for discreet for NC400, which costs more, sounds worse, and measures better than the NC1200 op-amp which costs less, sounds better, and measures worse?

Is it not true that op-amps have multiples higher tolerance? What made the op-amp measure worse?

Man we are stupid! Or Bruno was for accommodating us!

Tell me you're kidding, puhleeeeeze!
Who said the discrete input sounds worse????

How much NC1200 amps are there on the market today??
Old 9th January 2013, 07:19 AM   #5889
diyAudio Member

It’s not Hypex' fault but the quality of this thread went from average to unpalatable over the last weeks. Yackety-yak and hearsay promoted to facts, fan boys and ignoramuses with philosophies bashing what they consider dissidents and hardly any actual information. It’s annoying and I'll unsubscribe now.
Old 9th January 2013, 09:53 AM   #5890
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraxas336 View Post
I'll unsubscribe now.
Bye, Bye!

Hide this!Advertise here!