hypex ncore - Page 588 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th January 2013, 06:26 PM   #5871
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbogti View Post
I still cannot figure out the reason behind it..
Improper welding?
Old 8th January 2013, 06:28 PM   #5872
ds23man is offline ds23man  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esperado View Post
You are not a GOOD audiophile believer.
Solid state electronic is very sensitive to vibrations and need special cones/feets build from solid unoptainium. Even if you cannot record any noise from its output, while trying to destroy-it with a hammer.
Haha,

Vibrations made by virgins I think!

Old 8th January 2013, 06:48 PM   #5873
Regnad is offline Regnad  United States
diyAudio Member

No one knows what Bruno is charging for the NC1200, could be a lot more than the $400 DIY-only NC400.

And those mocking should get better writers... At least be somewhat clever about it.
Old 8th January 2013, 06:51 PM   #5874
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
Sin Bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esperado View Post
You are not a GOOD audiophile believer.
Solid state electronic is very sensitive to vibrations and need special cones/feets build from solid unoptainium. Even if you cannot record any noise from its output, while trying to destroy-it with a hammer.
So no microphonics .. ehhh .....
Old 8th January 2013, 07:08 PM   #5875
ds23man is offline ds23man  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regnad View Post
No one knows what Bruno is charging for the NC1200, could be a lot more than the $400 DIY-only NC400.

And those mocking should get better writers... At least be somewhat clever about it.
I think Bruno made a "small" practical joke with the NC1200 and NC400......

The NC1200 has a standard stock input which can be bypassed so the manufacturer can "voice" his amp. The NC400 has an input stage completely designed by Bruno the way he likes it. So the joke is: who can design a better input stage!

It is just a contest....
Old 8th January 2013, 07:45 PM   #5876
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds23man View Post
I think Bruno made a "small" practical joke with the NC1200 and NC400......

The NC1200 has a standard stock input which can be bypassed so the manufacturer can "voice" his amp. The NC400 has an input stage completely designed by Bruno the way he likes it. So the joke is: who can design a better input stage!

It is just a contest....
If the point is that all attempts thus far have proven successful in doing so, I don´t get the joke -at least on Bruno´s part

Do we have any indications that the mentioned nc1200 implementations in fact have bypassed the input buffer?
Old 9th January 2013, 01:05 AM   #5877
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mr_push_pull
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbogti View Post
Regarding the vibration control, I did some testings, but most of the so called hifi solutions are for fun only. If you are serious, give this a try:
Vibration Isolation Isolators, Tables, Platforms & Systems | Minusk Technology
I looked at the web page and the spec sheets of those products seem to isolate up to few tens of Hz's. I'm not sure that's of any help in audio.
if I recall correctly, tests done by Ed Meitner of EMM Labs showed that vibrations from loadspeakers do indeed cause jitter in quartz oscillators (there was a mention that one could clearly distinguish the spoken words in the song when listening to the recorded jitter data). maybe those expensive products render an audible result but I'd choose a product especially designed for audio (or even DIY, many do).
Old 9th January 2013, 01:45 AM   #5878
diyAudio Member

Default It...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juhleren View Post
If the point is that all attempts thus far have proven successful in doing so, I don´t get the joke -at least on Bruno´s part

Do we have any indications that the mentioned nc1200 implementations in fact have bypassed the input buffer?
Is a well known fact that the two available nC1200 amplifiers (Merrill and Atsah) both use the stock input buffers on the nC1200 modules.

It will be more interesting when someone decides to pair the nC1200 modules with a different input buffer, as is the case with some of the regular Hypex amp modules.
Old 9th January 2013, 01:48 AM   #5879
diyAudio Member

I believe that both ncore 1200 commercial products mentioned above (Veritas and Astah) use the stock input section with fancy cases, wire, connectors, etc., differentiating them.

I emailed Hypex and asked if the nc1200 should inherently sound better than the nc400 and they answered no. In fact, the nc400 has better specs than the nc1200...There would seem to be no reason for the 1200 to perform any better than the 400, in general.

I guess if I paid $9000-$10,000 for something, I would want it to sound better than the $2000 version too....

There are several people on audiocirclejerks who have the nc1200 commercial product and claim it is superior to the nc400 but they turned out to be beta testers who were making comments without divulging their sweetheart deals so I take their opinions with a grain of salt.

Last edited by kuribo; 9th January 2013 at 01:57 AM.
Old 9th January 2013, 01:59 AM   #5880
cjf is offline cjf  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ua100k View Post
Great questions. Here are the answers.
Hello UA100k,

Thanks for your response and the added pictures. I can see that the back of the Merrill unit does indeed look much better layed out with higher quality speaker binding posts and XLR connection Input then the other offerings I have seen thus far.

I would still love to see some pics of guts of the unit but if that request would compromise any secrets used in its creation then I understand the hesitance to show that layout in all its glory. At least the product description mentions that some effort and material was expended to better isolate the various components from each other during the design/build phase of the amp.

Based solely on what I have seen in print and pictures and read from current owners, I give the Merrill Veritas a "Gold Star" over the competition at the moment; even if the IEC connector doesn't look to made of gold taken straight from an Egyptian Pharaohs lost stash.

Hide this!Advertise here!