hypex ncore - Page 574 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th December 2012, 11:50 AM   #5731
jtwrace is offline jtwrace  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetis View Post
Version control.

I just purchased a third amp/power supply and notice they are version 3 and four respectively. Optically they look the same, except the power supply, where there has been the addition of some hardware on the board. I will use this as the center channel, but wonder if and what difference the hardware changes make.
Thank you
Nice to see versions. Can you post a pic of the SMPS?
Old 16th December 2012, 10:07 AM   #5732
pos is online now pos  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I just purchased a third amp/power supply and notice they are version 3 and four respectively.
I got my amps and supplies in may and the revisions were 3 and 2 respectively.
So it seems the SMPS has evolved quite a bit whereas the nc400 was unchanged for the last 6 months.

Curious on the differences!
Will you be able to test its temperature compared to your older SMPS?
Old 17th December 2012, 03:02 PM   #5733
yetis is offline yetis  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwrace View Post
Nice to see versions. Can you post a pic of the SMPS?
Please see the attached photos. I know they are terrible photos, but you can see the first one is version 1. Close to the center, you can read on the board "C23". Then, on the second is version three. You can see there is an extra "box" on the board, where it used to say, C23. I can also tell you that when you power them up, the new one takes about a second longer to click on. No idea on heat or sound, yet...

The third photo is me showing off. That is my three channel amp. any suggestions?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20121217_063441.jpg (603.4 KB, 495 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20121217_063453.jpg (644.7 KB, 470 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20121217_063254.jpg (842.2 KB, 472 views)
Old 19th December 2012, 04:30 PM   #5734
diyAudio Member

Default SMPS standby setup help

Hi,

I have a three channel Ncore amp and I just leave the unit on all the time. However, the heat buildup is too great, almost too hot to touch. I want to setup the SMPS to go into standby. I know I use pin 1 on J1 connector of the SMPS and need build/buy a trigger circuit that applies a constant voltage, to keep it in standby mode? I also understand that once the SMPS is in standby, it will send the amp portion into standby, within 15 min? My question is, how do I go about setting up this circuit. Any help would be great. I have never build something like this.

Regards
Old 19th December 2012, 06:06 PM   #5735
diyAudio Member

Anyone who did comparison between SMPS power supply and decent linear power supply at the NC400 lately?
Old 19th December 2012, 08:31 PM   #5736
robbbby is offline robbbby  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi,

I have a three channel Ncore amp and I just leave the unit on all the time. However, the heat buildup is too great, almost too hot to touch. I want to setup the SMPS to go into standby. I know I use pin 1 on J1 connector of the SMPS and need build/buy a trigger circuit that applies a constant voltage, to keep it in standby mode? I also understand that once the SMPS is in standby, it will send the amp portion into standby, within 15 min? My question is, how do I go about setting up this circuit. Any help would be great. I have never build something like this.

Regards
I felt the same about wanting to power down the smps even though everybody said it was fine to leave on and that it didn't use much electricity.
I wanted to use the standby rather than powering down my amp at the 120V main switch I put on the back, but since the required voltage isn't available inside the amp I bought a small 2 or 3 watt 120VAC -> 9VDC transformer/rectifier from digikey and now just use the illuminated push button switch I have on the front of the amp to power it on and off. I have not noticed any negative effects with regards to the sound with having a small transformer in parallel with the supply power.
Old 20th December 2012, 12:50 AM   #5737
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbbby View Post
I felt the same about wanting to power down the smps even though everybody said it was fine to leave on and that it didn't use much electricity.
I wanted to use the standby rather than powering down my amp at the 120V main switch I put on the back, but since the required voltage isn't available inside the amp I bought a small 2 or 3 watt 120VAC -> 9VDC transformer/rectifier from digikey and now just use the illuminated push button switch I have on the front of the amp to power it on and off. I have not noticed any negative effects with regards to the sound with having a small transformer in parallel with the supply power.
Well glad too hear I am not alone. There is just no way that you can leave these on, with three in one case. Its just too hot. The case is all aluminum, vented on the top and bottom, but it just does not matter.

I will admit that I don't fully know what I am looking for. I have done a lot of firsts with this project and have acquired a lot of parts, tools ,etc, building these amps, many in error. I get that you have a device that reduces a 120VAC current to a 9VDC. This connects to the IEC and then to pin one on J1, via the power button. I am just not sure what I am looking for on Digikey, despite a couple hours of searching. Any help would be great.

Thank you
Old 20th December 2012, 01:39 AM   #5738
diyAudio Member

I purchased a board style converter and just used some adhesive velcro to mount it in my chassis. You can just solder some wire to the pins or just use a crimp, it's not really a critical connection and worked just fine without mounting to a pcb.

Power Supplies - Board Mount | AC DC Converters | DigiKey

From there you can use the filters to select what voltage output you want (if I recall you can use anywhere from 3.3 to 12V, I chose 9), and what kind of current output you require on the secondary.

There are also the off board converters
Power Supplies - External/Internal (Off-Board) | AC DC Converters | DigiKey
Though I didn't have too much luck searching through all those.

This is the exact one I bought..

VSK-S3-9U CUI Inc | 102-1803-ND | DigiKey
Old 20th December 2012, 01:54 AM   #5739
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Well glad too hear I am not alone. There is just no way that you can leave these on, with three in one case. Its just too hot. The case is all aluminum, vented on the top and bottom, but it just does not matter.

I realize after reading this tread over again, that I can use a 12v trigger. My processor has a 12vdc trigger. Is there any reason that this won't work? Its a programmable trigger. If not, could you help me with this? Spent an hour on Digikey, and couldn't find it.

Thank you
Old 20th December 2012, 02:47 AM   #5740
diyAudio Member

It would work but would totally depends on the processor and how programmable it is.
Most equipment sends 12V when it is on. In your case you would need the processor to output 12V when it is powered down and disengage the 12V when you turn the processor back on

Hide this!Advertise here!