hypex ncore - Page 569 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th November 2012, 02:45 PM   #5681
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mr_push_pull
Quote:
Originally Posted by OllBoll View Post
Didn't Bruno describe that the NCore improvement over the UCD in the bass an illusion since it is the improved top end that makes the difference?

If I remember correctly he himself was not convinced that the NCore beats the UCD in the bass when used in an active system.
oh, you're right, I remember now that he wrote something like that. but I'm not sure I get the 'active' part.

I'd be interested to know if it's top-end or mids, mid-highs etc that give that illusion. I have read before that certain kinds of distortions can have unexpected effects.

Last edited by mr_push_pull; 27th November 2012 at 02:49 PM.
Old 27th November 2012, 02:53 PM   #5682
OllBoll is offline OllBoll  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_push_pull View Post
oh, you're right, I remember now that he wrote something like that. but I'm not sure I get the 'active' part.

I'd be interested to know if it's top-end or mids, mid-highs etc that give that illusion. I have read before that certain kinds of distortions can have unexpected effects.
When active I mean if it's used only for the bass region. I think the discussion was about using NCore for a sub where Bruno suggested an UCD, standard edition I think since a NCore would be mostly overkill without convincing improvement. If I remember correctly the he theorized that the improvements of the NCore would become apparent in the midrange and upwards.
Old 27th November 2012, 08:17 PM   #5683
gwikse is offline gwikse  Norway
diyAudio Member

Has anyone seen any CAD (prefarrably step) models of the nCore`s yet?
I have converted the UCD range (models from hypex.nl) to sketchup to plan cases, but would like to do the same with the nCore`s.
Old 27th November 2012, 08:32 PM   #5684
cotdt is offline cotdt  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cotdt
How does the nCore compare to a chipamp such as LM3875/LM3886?
Old 27th November 2012, 08:51 PM   #5685
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotdt View Post
How does the nCore compare to a chipamp such as LM3875/LM3886?
Like day and night.
Old 27th November 2012, 09:53 PM   #5686
robbbby is offline robbbby  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_push_pull View Post
oh, and to robbbby: I searched your posts and looks like you have the Mytek 192 DAC and (according to you) it has a high (100-200 ohms) output impedance. that would explain your noise issues.
So what is the best approach (if any), to try and fix that, or is that just how it will always be because of the output impedance?
Old 27th November 2012, 10:27 PM   #5687
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julf View Post
Oh, and one more thing - could you try disconnecting the input cable from the nCore (connector J9) to check if the noise changes?
With that connector unplugged from the amp I have absolutely no white noise.

With a 1k ohm resistor shorted across the hot/cold of the input I have no white noise.
Old 27th November 2012, 11:13 PM   #5688
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbbby View Post
With that connector unplugged from the amp I have absolutely no white noise.
With a 1k ohm resistor shorted across the hot/cold of the input I have no white noise.
So your problem is solved and you know your amp is in perfect working condition.

Now, or you figure out why your input cable inside your amp act like an antenna (loop ground or shield problems) or you just forget about that, because your source will present an impedance far less than 1KOhm.
Old 27th November 2012, 11:17 PM   #5689
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esperado View Post
So your problem is solved and you know your amp is in perfect working condition.

Now, or you figure out why your input cable inside your amp act like an antenna (loop ground or shield problems) or you just forget about that, because your source will present an impedance far less than 1KOhm.

With the source hooked up to the amps input I still get the white noise though, should it not be silent if the source has an output impedance of less than 1k ohm?
Old 28th November 2012, 06:39 AM   #5690
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esperado View Post
I think the experiment with the 1K resistor also shows the cable is *not* acting as an antenna - even with the cable in place, and terminated with a 1 K resistor at the input XLR plug, there was no noise.

Hide this!Advertise here!