Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone not able to DIY has no interest in NC400 kits.
Someone able to DIY might wonder why buy an NC400 kit when a ready built (with manufacture guarantee) is not more expensive.
After all, assembling the kit is not much more than putting some cables in the right sockets.
I don't see why an NC400 board is some three times more expensive than a UCD400 board.
That's not in the parts; it's policy (in other words a way not to encourage NC400 DIY because it is a very small part of their business).

Last edited:
Well the patents, papers, presentations and to a good extent even the ncore schematics are available on the internet. There are some competent inspired Class-D designs on this forum by some expert members.
What remains is the rigor, time, testing and learning required to produce a product of equivalent performance and quality and that is not easy. So while there are no alternatives, its best to just shut up and put up or jump right in and toil away till you can create an equivalent just for yourself.
Hypex's first priority is its business i'm not sure why they should feel pressurized to sell their stuff cheap.

Someone not able to DIY has no interest in NC400 kits.
Someone able to DIY might wonder why buy an NC400 kit when a ready built (with manufacture guarantee) is not more expensive.
After all, assembling the kit is not much more than putting some cables in the right sockets.
I don't see why an NC400 board is some three times more expensive than a UCD400 board.
That's not in the parts; it's policy (in other words a way not to encourage NC400 DIY because it is a very small part of their business).
I agree, I purchased Nord monoblocks as it was just as cheap as buying NC400s and doing it myself. Plus I have the tweakable input buffers.
Perhaps the NC400 is better suited for building into active speakers though.

Well the patents, papers, presentations and to a good extent even the ncore schematics are available on the internet. There are some competent inspired Class-D designs on this forum by some expert members.
What remains is the rigor, time, testing and learning required to produce a product of equivalent performance and quality and that is not easy. So while there are no alternatives, its best to just shut up and put up or jump right in and toil away till you can create an equivalent just for yourself.
Hypex's first priority is its business i'm not sure why they should feel pressurized to sell their stuff cheap.

Sure, they make maybe 99% of their business with OEM.
Why then overprice that tiny bit for DIY?
It's not a problem for me personally, I can create something at least equivalent for myself :).

So I picked up a motu 16a to feed 6 nc400s, but there seems to be some kind of issue between them. When hooking up an emu 0404 to the nc400, the output is dead silent. Hooking up the motu to the ncore produces audible noise. I tested the motu connected to an FP14000 and it's silent. All connections are balanced

Any ideas?

nc400 output with emu0404 hooked up
attachment.php

nc400 output with motu 16a
attachment.php

recording of noise
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0htJ-STRqFU

Hooking up the motu to the ncore produces audible noise. I tested the motu connected to an FP14000 and it's silent. All connections are balanced

What kind of connectors are you using, and how are they wired? The motu seems to have electrically balanced outputs on unbalanced quarter-inch jacks, but require stereo (TRS) plugs. There is a warning about making sure the ring is disconnected in the manual, but I haven't been able to find a diagram of how the motu output is actually wired.

Last edited:
What kind of connectors are you using, and how are they wired? The motu seems to have electrically balanced outputs on unbalanced quarter-inch jacks, but require stereo (TRS) plugs. There is a warning about making sure the ring is disconnected in the manual, but I haven't been able to find a diagram of how the motu output is actually wired.

using an xlr to trs patch. I'll look into that more though, good place to start, ty.

this is how the amp is wired
yUTUsP8.jpg

nope they're normal balanced outputs, this is what the manual says

4. The 16A’s sixteen analog outputs are balanced TRS
quarter-inch connectors that can also accept an unbal-
anced plug (with the ring disconnected). The output trim
can be adjusted from the Output Setting section of the
Device Tab in the MOTU AVB Control web app software.
5. These sixteen analog inputs are balanced TRS quarter-
inch connectors that can also accept an unbalanced plug.
Use with line level signals up to +24 dBu, including
synthesizers, drum machines, effects processors, etc.
These inputs are also equipped with the 16A’s Precision
Digital Trim™ feature: digitally controlled analog trims
that let you adjust input level in 1 dB increments from
the included MOTU AVB Control web app software

nope they're normal balanced outputs

"Normal" balanced outputs use normal balanced connectors, not unsymmetrical jacks.

4. The 16A’s sixteen analog outputs are balanced TRS
quarter-inch connectors that can also accept an unbal-
anced plug (with the ring disconnected). The output trim
can be adjusted from the Output Setting section of the
Device Tab in the MOTU AVB Control web app software.
5. These sixteen analog inputs are balanced TRS quarter-
inch connectors that can also accept an unbalanced plug.
Use with line level signals up to +24 dBu, including
synthesizers, drum machines, effects processors, etc.
These inputs are also equipped with the 16A’s Precision
Digital Trim™ feature: digitally controlled analog trims
that let you adjust input level in 1 dB increments from
the included MOTU AVB Control web app software
So I assume that means they have the inverting and non-inverting outputs on the ring and tip respectively, and earth on the sleeve?

Status
Not open for further replies.