hypex ncore - Page 564 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th November 2012, 10:54 AM   #5631
robbbby is offline robbbby  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StigErik View Post
My Ncores are dead quiet. Always. When I put my ear onto the cone of my 98 dB efficient woofers, I can't hear any noise at all. Any HF noise would get lost, as the response of the woofers drops off above 2kHz, but anyway .....

My mid and woofers are dead silent, just noise from the tweeter. Also I get popping when cycling the amps on/off without any input connected.

Julf, good idea, somebody else mentioned double checking all connections/grounding inside enclosures.

Right now I do not have earth/ground connected to the case, should I ground the case to earth?
Old 26th November 2012, 11:23 AM   #5632
diyAudio Member

Robbby, have you checked the DC at the output of ncores ?
Old 26th November 2012, 11:59 AM   #5633
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbbby View Post
Right now I do not have earth/ground connected to the case, should I ground the case to earth?
As in house/mains earth? No, I wouldn't, but I would make sure the case is connected to pin1 of your XLR connector (and pin 4 / ground on the nCore input plug - the shield on the input cable).
Old 26th November 2012, 12:07 PM   #5634
jtwrace is offline jtwrace  United States
diyAudio Member

Mine are dead quiet too as they should be.
Old 26th November 2012, 12:20 PM   #5635
ua100k is offline ua100k  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbbby View Post
Hey guys, trying to do some troubleshooting and had a question for those of you that own ncores. When powering cycling the amps without anything connected to the amp other then the speakers are you guys experiencing any light popping at power up and power down?
When the amp is powered up, speakers connected but no input, are you guys getting static/white noise when you put your ear near the tweeter?

I'm just trying to figure a few things out and some are saying they get dead silence at the tweeter with the amp on and no source and some are saying the static/white noise is normal. Just wanted to see what others with ncores are experiencing.

Thanks
You are getting the noise from the amp and/or power supply.
Check in this order.
1. Audio input wires are shielded and away from other noise sources on the boards.
2. Move your boards away from the inputs. You might have just the right amount of interaction. You can try shielding with foil.
3. Play with your grounding. You may have your circuits acting like a radio receiver. Try grounding the input XLR audio ground/Chassis pins. Try grounding the chassis to power supply ground, and so on.
Old 26th November 2012, 01:06 PM   #5636
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mr_push_pull
this is interesting. my UCDs only output the slightest amount of noise that can only be heard ear against tweeter at max volume. and I'm not even sure its amp noise, it may be because of front end (DS1666 volume control). output wires running relatively close to input ones, not balanced, not shielded, not twisted. true, speakers are only 83 dB W/m.
Old 26th November 2012, 01:44 PM   #5637
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwrace View Post
Mine are dead quiet too as they should be.
Indeed - with a specified 124 dB SNR, pretty much any noise is an indication of some sort of abnormal issue.
Old 26th November 2012, 02:38 PM   #5638
ChrisPa is offline ChrisPa  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Robbby - testing with a shorted input seems like the starting point. They should be silent both in terms of pops and background noise.

There is a gentle click from the modules when they power up - not through the speakers
Old 26th November 2012, 03:53 PM   #5639
robbbby is offline robbbby  Canada
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the replies guys.

I have adjusted the dc offset at both the input and output using r95 and r136. What does the third pot on the far side of the board do?

I guess I will also have to check all my grounding and wiring. I will take a picture when I get home from work and hopefully somebody more knowledgeable may be able to spot something troublesome.

ChrisPs - Can you explain the testing with a shorted input? I'm not sure I understand. Thanks.
Old 26th November 2012, 04:00 PM   #5640
ChrisPa is offline ChrisPa  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

short the input to the power amp
turn the power amp on

there should be no pops through the speaker
THe general consensus is also that there should be no audible hiss too

If there's a pop - then it implies there's something awry with the amplifier
A click form the module itself (not through the speaker) is to be expected

If there's hiss then it also impies there's something awry

If the pops and hiss reappear when you connect your upstream equipment, then it implies they're being caused/generated by the upstream equipment

Hide this!Advertise here!