hypex ncore - Page 559 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd November 2012, 03:24 PM   #5581
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_push_pull View Post
excuse my bluntness, but you haven't been around much, haven't you?
I've been around, but I am a slow learner and fond of beating my head against a brick wall.

Quote:
bringing DBT in any discussion of the kind is naive. it's like telling "let's just be civil" to the guy with a bat. "DBT can't possibly work" is the bat, you can't fight it, it's made of tough aluminum
Been there, got the bruises. But I also grew up in a country where the national sport is ice hockey...
Old 22nd November 2012, 04:00 PM   #5582
diyAudio Member

Default hey...

I too am interested in how and why some things make a difference, which at first glance, seem like they should not.
But, I do not (primarily) evaluate how my system performs "objectively", as my system does not exist in order to produce empirical measurements; it exists to produce an enjoyable listening experience. If a change to my system produces more listening enjoyment, then that change is a success.
Separately, yes, I would always like to you know how/why the changes produces a positive experience. As far as the fuses go, there has been much speculation, but very little (there are some published measurements) objective analysis. Still, it is not surprising to me that a fuse would make a difference, considering my experiences with wiring, IEC connectors, etc, and that all the power for a given component has to pass through a single, tiny, fuse element.
I have no problem with those who desire a full understanding of why something like a fuse might make a difference, but I do have a problem with the closed minded who insist that a fuse cannot make a difference, without any experience, either empirical or observational, of high quality fuses.
Note that the OEM manufacturer of the Veritas nC1200 monoblocks includes audiophile fuses. Knowing what I do about the cost constraints that a manufacturer is subject to, I doubt they would go to the extra expense if their was nothing to gain in sonic performance...
Old 22nd November 2012, 04:10 PM   #5583
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mr_push_pull
what amazes me is that you took the time to write a long message but didn't care to detail the objective measurements, which would've been more interesting. but maybe beating a dead horse (again!) is more interesting to some.
Old 22nd November 2012, 04:40 PM   #5584
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrows View Post
I have no problem with those who desire a full understanding of why something like a fuse might make a difference, but I do have a problem with the closed minded who insist that a fuse cannot make a difference, without any experience, either empirical or observational, of high quality fuses.
I don't think we have claimed that a fuse can't make any difference. We are presenting some rational reasons for why it seems the difference a fuse makes would be pretty minor.

I also have no problem with people reporting subjective observations, but I am always interested to hear what measures they have taken to rule out this effect:

Penn & Teller - ********! - truth about bottled water
Old 22nd November 2012, 04:49 PM   #5585
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julf View Post
I don't think we have claimed that a fuse can't make any difference.
no-one did, but it's automatically assumed.

one more thing that should be noted is that an amplifier which has only one review that we know of, of which we know pretty much nothing about construction wise, is speculated to be superior (without even listening to it) at least partially due to the fuses. if I was manufacturing these I'd rub my hands in satisfaction, because people I don't pay are marketing my products for free.
Old 22nd November 2012, 04:58 PM   #5586
diyAudio Member

Default I...

Quote:
no-one did, but it's automatically assumed.

one more thing that should be noted is that an amplifier which has only one review that we know of, of which we know pretty much nothing about construction wise, is speculated to be superior (without even listening to it) at least partially due to the fuses. if I was manufacturing these I'd rub my hands in satisfaction, because people I don't pay are marketing my products for free.
Referenced this amplifier specifically because it is well known to some on this (nCore) thread. And because it has been reported to sound significantly better than DIY nC400 based implementations. To those who have been following the nCore news online, this would be clear.
I have no need to "prove" anything here, other than that the idea of dismissing something which one has no experience with is close minded. If you guys are open minded, try some fuses, and, if you access to an AP-2 please measure them on an AC waveform and report the results...
I have no idea if the fuses used in the Veritas amps help the sound or not: but, I do have some experience in audio product manufacturing, and I do understand that expensive parts are generally not chosen unless the benefits are entirely clear and impossible to deny.
Old 22nd November 2012, 05:20 PM   #5587
diyAudio Member

Quote:
it looks like everyone forgets the fact that the amplifier itself is a switching device carrying amperes at hundreds of kHz's.
On the contrary. As the two frequencies are not the same, think (not sure the English word) 'Beat frequency' and their products ?
Old 22nd November 2012, 05:25 PM   #5588
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrows View Post
I know people who upgraded the internal cabling on cheap and badly sounding speakers (the kind that uses the cheapest electrolytics on xo's) and claimed extraordinary improvements. I own speakers that are simply better in every way and haven't heard obvious improvements with cables. if there were any, they were slim. maybe I haven't tried the right ones, quite possible. I also know about cable demos when some people pretended to hear the difference in order not to upset the dealers (on systems that are much better than mine). they have admitted it behind closed doors (who knows, maybe one day that dealer will offer a significant discount for some component, why make enemies?)
I have tested differences between different components and while I think hI eard differences, I wouldn't put any money on it. I'm simply not convinced it wasn't a case of me wanting to hear the differences.
I know that some things do bring significant improvements. I also do know that not everything brings an improvement. so I take every opinion, especially those from strangers and when they're about a 2cm piece of wire that seems to render unmeasurable improvements with a grain of salt.
meanwhile, we're still beating the long dead horse. I find it weird when someone mentions measurements without giving details, especially on diyaudio. I wouldn't be surprised if it happened on other forums. sounds like the marketing dpt.
and I can't see why you still imply that we said those differences didn't exist, when in fact both me and Julf said the contrary. this is what I mean by beating the dead horse, these discussions are all too predictable.

Last edited by mr_push_pull; 22nd November 2012 at 05:38 PM.
Old 22nd November 2012, 05:27 PM   #5589
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julf View Post
Others resort to cargo cult engineering
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analo...ml#post3245054
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analo...ml#post3245295
Old 22nd November 2012, 05:34 PM   #5590
diyAudio Member

I am convinced that Mr. Curl is an exceptional engineer and knows how to design an exceptional product.
but I also think that his online activity is suspect. there are moments when I almost think I can see the grin on his face hiding behind his writings. why he does it I have no idea. if I were to speculate I'd say that he's a very intelligent person that understood a long time ago the inside rules of the audio high end game and he plays it very well. there are many other "small celebrities" here that choose not to play the "when in doubt, confuse them" game and I give them points for that.
just my opinion.
(I'll go grab a few beers and hope that the discussion moves on meanwhile)

Last edited by mr_push_pull; 22nd November 2012 at 05:37 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!