hypex ncore - Page 553 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st November 2012, 12:35 PM   #5521
jtwrace is offline jtwrace  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavmike View Post
I'm using Bent audio's Hybrid True Balanced Resistor Attenuator Module's,with their PRM-1 PCB and balanced input select board. I also grabbed their toslink optical control board to control additional amps with the same PRM-1 with no loss of quality. With that you can daisy chain as many amps as you want together and control the volume with 1 remote. The optical cable only acts as communication for the control. They are awesome. The autoformers are even better if you don't mind the cost. For me I found that the resistor boards were good enough because when turned up to 61 they completely bypass the resistors and I can use the 64 bit dithered volume control in Jriver for music listening, and the attenuators for everything else. They also have a solid machined aluminum remote for $100. Just make sure your source has at least 4v of gain unless you only listen at lower levels.
Thanks. Did you try tubes before it by any chance?
Old 21st November 2012, 12:39 PM   #5522
bavmike is offline bavmike  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwrace View Post
Thanks. Did you try tubes before it by any chance?
Ya I have a DAC with a tubed output stage
Old 21st November 2012, 12:43 PM   #5523
jtwrace is offline jtwrace  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Ya I have a DAC with a tubed output stage
OK. So what do yo think with it vs the Bent? I'm tempted to try a fully balanced autoformer setup.
Old 21st November 2012, 12:57 PM   #5524
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwrace View Post
OK. So what do yo think with it vs the Bent? I'm tempted to try a fully balanced autoformer setup.
I use the tubed DAC together with the Bent resistor modules. If you think it's worth the $1900 for the 4 autoformer modules required to make a 2 channel balanced setup, then I'm sure you will be satisfied. For me since I use my computer for audio with 64 bit dithered volume controls, and since I'm in the market for a DAC with a built in volume control, using the $600 resistor modules, which are 95% as good as the autoformers are good enough. Nothing is better then the straight bypass you get when turned up to 61.
Old 21st November 2012, 01:17 PM   #5525
cab is offline cab
diyAudio Member

why not just use the 64 bit control and leave everything else out? There should be no significant bit loss at low volumes.
Old 21st November 2012, 02:09 PM   #5526
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab View Post
why not just use the 64 bit control and leave everything else out? There should be no significant bit loss at low volumes.
Because it's nice to have a hardware volume control when connecting other sources such as a game console, iPod\iphone, cable receiver etc. In those circumstances the resistor modules are more then good enough. When using the 64 bit volume control, I turn it up to 61 to do a straight bypass. It's also nice to have it turned down when starting the computer, making sure the media player has exclusive control, and adjusted to the right level.

Last edited by bavmike; 21st November 2012 at 02:18 PM.
Old 21st November 2012, 03:06 PM   #5527
Henkjan is offline Henkjan  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Just make sure your source has at least 4v of gain unless you only listen at lower levels.
why is that? is it the gain of the ncore or the autoformer units?
Old 21st November 2012, 03:18 PM   #5528
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkjan View Post
why is that? is it the gain of the ncore or the autoformer units?
No that is the output required from your source to provide enough gain to drive the ncores to their full output. Since the modules we are talking about here are passive, they don't provide any additional gain.
Old 21st November 2012, 03:23 PM   #5529
diyAudio Member

Quote:
No that is the output required from your source to provide enough gain to drive the ncores to their full output. Since the modules we are talking about here are passive, they don't provide any additional gain.
My current DAC only puts out 3v and it's not enough. That's one of the reasons I'm looking for a new DAC.
Old 21st November 2012, 03:29 PM   #5530
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
As far as I can calculate, 2 V of signal amplitude (not gain) is all it takes to drive the nCore to the full rated output power.

Hide this!Advertise here!