hypex ncore - Page 552 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th November 2012, 07:46 PM   #5511
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
It is also one that has apparently been used by 'the shaman' with NCORE, without the aforementioned issues in the bass or cutting off,. I say this because he needs his friend to buy another pair of amps so he can do a meaningful comparison to the SMPS600, presumably he wouldnt need to do such a careful comparison if the bass was severely distorted and the amp cutting out....
We actually haven't tried our DPS600/DAs on the NC400s yet.
I don't see why we'd have issues with peaks etc. My understanding is that Audiopower's SMPSs and amps show exemplary behavior when pushed to the limit.

Plus, I do know for a fact that AP's SMPSs have been used alongside UCD 700HG modules with no issues. If they could handle those, I think they'll handle NC400s as well.

Last edited by TheShaman; 19th November 2012 at 07:48 PM.
Old 19th November 2012, 08:21 PM   #5512
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinitus View Post
what appears to sounds 'absolutely fantastic and stunning', suddenly sounds much much better when changed later on
The "Insert-in it is better, remove-it it is better" effect ?
It applies to several disciplines out of audio too :-)
Old 20th November 2012, 09:10 AM   #5513
diyAudio Member

Default hypex nc 400 problem

Hi ,
I recently purchased 2 nc 400 and 2 smps 600 one amp was first assembled and tested and working fine with sound coming out.
However after assembling the second exactly as the first amp and tested , there was no sound coming out from the speaker.
What I did notice was the fourth LED from the negative speaker terminal post was brightly lit on the not ok amp whilst the ok amp, the same led was very dimly lit.
The Led number is D33 I think (too small).
What is the significant of this led or is it other thing that is at fault.
Please help me to rectify this problem.

Thank you very much

Regards,
A.Rahman Hussin
Old 20th November 2012, 10:33 AM   #5514
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrows View Post
they need a regulated supply to improve the performance of the nCore amps, why not just power the SMPS600 from a good AC regenerator.
Not what i would call a great idea. Have you ever built an AC regenerator? At a power output sufficient to power Ncore? Fat chance it will provide lower impedance than a mains outlet. All it will do is a cleaner waveform, less noise and maybe a stable voltage. Very little point in this if you are going to power a noise generator with it

Anyway, line regulation seems really unimportant compared to load regulation.
Old 20th November 2012, 12:32 PM   #5515
tony399 is offline tony399  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Is there a difference how an SMPS is regulated compared to a linear supply?
Old 20th November 2012, 12:58 PM   #5516
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony399 View Post
Is there a difference how an SMPS is regulated compared to a linear supply?
Are we talking about a regulated linear supply, or just the garden-variety, rectifier bridge plus large caps linear supply?

The regulation principle in a SMPS is, as the name implies, based on switching, whereas a linear regulator is based on a linear regulation component that works by adjusting a series resistance (that of course has to dissipate/waste a lot of power as heat).

So a SMPS is like a class D amp, while a linear regulator is just like a traditional, linear/analog amp.
Old 20th November 2012, 06:28 PM   #5517
jtwrace is offline jtwrace  United States
diyAudio Member

Has anyone here tried a Bent Audio autoformer based fully balanced setup with their NCores?
Old 20th November 2012, 07:25 PM   #5518
diyAudio Member

Default Well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog_sa View Post
Not what i would call a great idea. Have you ever built an AC regenerator? At a power output sufficient to power Ncore? Fat chance it will provide lower impedance than a mains outlet. All it will do is a cleaner waveform, less noise and maybe a stable voltage. Very little point in this if you are going to power a noise generator with it

Anyway, line regulation seems really unimportant compared to load regulation.

I used to work for PS Audio, and I am well aware of the specs, requirements, and limitations of AC regenerators. Their current larger one has enough capacity to power a pair of nCores with the SMPS600, keep the voltage rock solid stable, and have a lower output impedance than wall. Their is no "fat chance" about it. Maybe, if the nCores were outputting a continous 400 watt sine wave test signal the larger AC regenerator might start to struggle a little, but music will never have continous power requirements anywhere near that level.
Old 20th November 2012, 08:11 PM   #5519
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrows View Post
Their current larger one has enough capacity to power a pair of nCores with the SMPS600, keep the voltage rock solid stable, and have a lower output impedance than wall.
Just out of curiosity, what is the output impedance of the unit, and how much peak current can it source?
Old 21st November 2012, 09:57 AM   #5520
bavmike is offline bavmike  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwrace View Post
Has anyone here tried a Bent Audio autoformer based fully balanced setup with their NCores?
I'm using Bent audio's Hybrid True Balanced Resistor Attenuator Module's,with their PRM-1 PCB and balanced input select board. I also grabbed their toslink optical control board to control additional amps with the same PRM-1 with no loss of quality. With that you can daisy chain as many amps as you want together and control the volume with 1 remote. The optical cable only acts as communication for the control. They are awesome. The autoformers are even better if you don't mind the cost. For me I found that the resistor boards were good enough because when turned up to 61 they completely bypass the resistors and I can use the 64 bit dithered volume control in Jriver for music listening, and the attenuators for everything else. They also have a solid machined aluminum remote for $100. Just make sure your source has at least 4v of gain unless you only listen at lower levels.

Last edited by bavmike; 21st November 2012 at 10:01 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!