hypex ncore - Page 548 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th November 2012, 08:09 PM   #5471
AP2 is offline AP2  Italy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Verhoeven View Post
AP2, to me it's not entirely clear what you want to achieve with your postings in this topic. Pehaps it's the fact that you are using translation programs, but for me it's VERY hard to understand your posts and I always wonder what they have in common with the subject of this topic...
Not exist "other reason".
when I read (occasionally), it seems that this thread exist an custom science. I explained what is actually distortion vs. time. (in simple word)
I try to enlighten some lost sheep maybe. just to avoid a few million people receive a wrong culture, considering that the thread is widely read.

thanks for the welcome.
Old 16th November 2012, 08:45 PM   #5472
diyAudio Member

For me you are welcome, but as I aleady wrote it's probably because of the use of translation programs but your posts are almost not readeable... (for me that is, but I don't have problems reading and understanding the other posts in this topic)
Old 17th November 2012, 01:02 AM   #5473
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mr_push_pull
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP2 View Post
I try to enlighten some lost sheep maybe.
thanks for the welcome.
Old 17th November 2012, 11:50 AM   #5474
diyAudio Member

Hey guys, just wanted to check with you all about the SMPS Hypex offers for the ncore's.

From the three SMPS400 that I bought for my UCD setup, now two have died within 2.5 years of use. both V9's. The V6 is still humming along nicely.

Was I unlucky? Bad batch?

I hope the SMPS for the ncore is better?
Old 17th November 2012, 12:46 PM   #5475
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yves Smolders View Post

Was I unlucky? Bad batch?

There is no such thing as a "bad batch" were you to use linear supplies. As a side effect the sound may also get better. Of course those cannot compete in coolness.
Old 17th November 2012, 01:02 PM   #5476
diyAudio Member

Well, linear supplies are always an option, I was just under the impression the SMPS had advantages compared to linear (price for sure...)

Also, for me to design a linear supply for nCore is a bit more difficult than for UCD - I'm just a n00b when it comes to electronics really.
Old 17th November 2012, 01:28 PM   #5477
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog_sa View Post
There is no such thing as a "bad batch" were you to use linear supplies. As a side effect the sound may also get better. Of course those cannot compete in coolness.
Yet they run cooler (Linear unregulated PS that is)
- and are thereby also more efficient in power consumption no matter what SMPS-believers believe. Heat equals power consumption. Conservation of energy still rules.

A bit scary to hear about the bad SMPS´s. For me the selling point regarding getting a Hypex SMPS is that they have been factory tweaked and adjusted to make Hypex amps sound as intended.

A linear "home brew" would introduce a bunch of tweaking variable -both for good and bad. The SMPS offerings are plug n´ play deals.

- But if they only last 2 years (as warranty should guarantee) I´ll prefer the old heavy tweaky iron-donut-based approach.

It would be great to have Hypex commenting on the reliability issue as I am probably not alone in not wanting to bring something electrically into my home that isn´t made to last...

AP2, if I read you right, you promote a "purely scientific" discussion, no?

(Sorry to all others for digging into this off-topic subject)

If so, the problem is that pure scientific claims and methods are developed (and Delimitated) for a very different use and purposes than to account for what we as "audio designers" need to make practically useful solutions.
(Don´t derive from this that I claim science NOT to be useful, I would never suggest that; science has only made us wiser)

-To cut a way too long story short:

Science IS typically right, but the point here is that this only applies to very purified and idealized phenomena -typically created under laboratory conditions. Such Lab conditions are VERY different from our actual home audio system implementations. We therefore need to be very cautious about what kind of recognitions we attempt to derive in the name of science to account for the issues that we try to deal with in our audio systems.

(Read that Science can only be expected to offer idealized "theoretical model(s)" that each only take into account a very delimitated set of variables -not necessarily well connected to what we experience and have interest in, BUT necessarily ONLY an abstracted extracted re-presentation of a much more complex and therefore too confusing experience) -Science constructs the phenomenon it studies -both in a sociological, psychological AND Material sense -of course.

Another point is that our personal and local experiences are very useful when shared as such -and not promoted as generalized recognitions. Science actually works that way too, just through much more standardized forms to make the different (local) data sets compatible and comparable for a collective analytical interpretation.

just me 2 x 2 cents,
Best,

Last edited by Juhleren; 17th November 2012 at 01:36 PM.
Old 17th November 2012, 01:46 PM   #5478
ds23man is offline ds23man  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

This topic keeps running in cirles..... Sound quality and the type of PSU is discussed here for more than 548 pages

Maybe it is time to do a proper ABX test with Ncore, ucd, smps, conventional supplies and some high end amps. Of course this should be done with a switching rig with level matching........
Old 17th November 2012, 03:06 PM   #5479
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds23man View Post
Maybe it is time to do a proper ABX test with Ncore, ucd, smps, conventional supplies and some high end amps. Of course this should be done with a switching rig with level matching........
Even that will not drive to any valuable conclusions. Power supplies are all different, Peak current, average current, HF transformers leakages, regulated/stabilized,/linear, Caps values, Caps qualities, cabling's influence, Shieldings, EMI pollution of the outlets, quality of the sources, quality of the speakers...

So, the only conclusion i would be interested in would be: "No obvious (or big) difference".
It seem to be the reports of several people, comparing PSUs.
If there is no problems with the residual switching frequency, i presume that SMPS will provide some advantages regarding price size and simplicity, as well as regulated voltages by defaults. Then it will be time to care about their implantation, shielding, to improve Hf rejection and noise if some want, play with caps etc...
Old 17th November 2012, 03:13 PM   #5480
diyAudio Member

Default As...

Has been noted here before, the SMPS600 for the nC400 amp modules is not a regulated supply: it's output voltage will vary with the variances of the incoming line voltage.

Hide this!Advertise here!