hypex ncore - Page 545 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th November 2012, 12:10 AM   #5441
diyAudio Member

Default Not sure...

Quote:
Originally Posted by toufu View Post
Thanks for answering the question regarding linear PSU.

Is there a reason to use the switching PSU instead of linear? As the linear would probably be cheaper, would it be better?
How you think you could make a quality linear supply with the necessary voltages and current for less than what the SMPS 600 costs?
Old 16th November 2012, 12:12 AM   #5442
cotdt is offline cotdt  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cotdt
A regulated linear supply would be expensive and difficult to do. It would have to support 800W.
Old 16th November 2012, 12:18 AM   #5443
toufu is offline toufu  United States
diyAudio Member

You don't need the regulated high voltage, just the low voltage (18V), right?
Old 16th November 2012, 12:25 AM   #5444
cotdt is offline cotdt  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cotdt
Quote:
You don't need the regulated high voltage, just the low voltage (18V), right?
That's more of a compromise typically used for Class AB amps which draw current all the time. Class D will have more voltage sag as it is more efficient. A well-designed SMPS is fully regulated and can deliver clean power.
Old 16th November 2012, 12:32 AM   #5445
diyAudio Member

Default yeah...

But to deliver enough current with a linear supply, you are going to need some decent iron as well, quality diodes, quality capacitors. This stuff adds up pretty quick, especially if you are going to do dual mono supplies. A SMPS does not need the big iron, so saves parts costs in big ways...
Old 16th November 2012, 03:46 AM   #5446
yetis is offline yetis  United States
diyAudio Member

So I have finally received my custom case and it is a beauty! I will show when its all done. Its a three channel case that is 2U and custom made to support three amps and power supplies, along with xlr only connections and bi amping for all three channels! And this time, it actually provides ventilation, unlike some other cases... My question is about the power application. I have purchased, in the past, molex connections for my custom connections, but now I am feeling a little bold and want to try direct soldering of the power supplies. Is it possible, there is any benefit, or is such an endeavor just all potential downside? Has anyone ever done this? If I did it, whats the best way to insulate the soldered connection?

Thank you
Old 16th November 2012, 06:22 AM   #5447
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Is there a reason to use the switching PSU instead of linear?
In addition to the factors others have mentioned, I have to add the obvious ones:

- size
- weight
- heat
- power consumption
Old 16th November 2012, 08:47 AM   #5448
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fas42 View Post
People frequently talk of the bass improving, but it has absolutely nothing to do with the actual bass frequencies; it's actually the transients and higher harmonics being reproduced properly that creates the subjective impression of better bass.
I have an active system crossed over at 200 Hz. Even so, I experienced improvement in bass quality when I changed the woofer amps only. Transients and harmonics were not affected by this amp change.
Old 16th November 2012, 09:56 AM   #5449
fas42 is offline fas42  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StigErik View Post
I have an active system crossed over at 200 Hz. Even so, I experienced improvement in bass quality when I changed the woofer amps only. Transients and harmonics were not affected by this amp change.
Fair enough, it's just that I've seen comments so many times implying that the deep bass frequencies are somehow "better", when it's clear that that it's frequencies higher in the spectrum that are better behaved. Experiments have shown that people are enormously insensitive to distortion in the deep bass area, eg. 100% additional distortion is not detected. But if the woofer driver is producing less harmonic distortion above, say, 200Hz because the amp change is controlling it better then it would make sense ...

An interesting experiment would be to disconnect all but the bass amps, and then compare the sound of the two amps when only that part of the spectrum is being reproduced.

Frank
Old 16th November 2012, 10:05 AM   #5450
diyAudio Member

I have done that test in my system, and I could hear a difference. Listening to music that way is really strange... I XO at 200 Hz with fairly steep crossover slope. The bass sounds anything but "fast" and precise.... is all very muddy.

Hide this!Advertise here!