hypex ncore - Page 541 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th November 2012, 07:31 PM   #5401
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_push_pull View Post
more related to ego issues.
That is the point, thanks a lot for your consoling answer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julf View Post
+-35-75V, lots of current, at least 4700 uF caps per rail
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koifarm View Post
+/0/- 65V/5A with 20000uf capacity a rail.
Any benefit in paralleling little caps instead of big one ?

Last edited by Esperado; 14th November 2012 at 07:34 PM.
Old 14th November 2012, 07:34 PM   #5402
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mr_push_pull
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lviz View Post
One big difference between UCD and nCore (as in performance) is the output impedance. UCD has it somewhere around 20-150 mOhm and nCore has just 1-3 mOhm. Actually, could that better impedance behaviour at higher freqs (>2kHz) be the one thing that people are hearing when comparing UCD and nCore?
maybe but I don't think so.
one thing I'm almost certain about is that one needs serious speakers to hear these differences. I'm doubtful about their relevance with mediocre ones.

regarding highs I'm more than happy with the highs I hear on my system and there's no way I'd want them smoother, it's already on the smooth side.

just found this on audiocircle, it's about linear vs switching:
I had early interest when Hypex started and was on the fence about purchasing until the upgraded UCD400HG became available. I bought 4 modules and built 2 stereo amps with very good linear power supplies (for bi-amping my OB line source speakers). Was very pleased with the performance. Did some tweaking with the input capacitors and output filter network with minor improvements. Decided to go all out and built battery power supplies for them at +/- 48VDC. They were sooo quiet with great soundstage depth. Some members may have heard them in my exhibit room three years back at RMAF. After a couple years the batteries started to become a bit of a pain so I went back to linear supplies. In an effort for further improvements, I removed the input capacitors completely and had a nice improvement. That is how I have been listening the past couple years.
Enter the NC400. I dropped them in my system to drive my OB panels from 200Hz up. While the supplied power cords looked nice, I used my own designs because I know their sound making it easier to hear overall changes in the sound of the system. Tonally they sound almost identical to my UCD400HGs (which means, very neutral). They are very quiet (as advertised) with an extremely good soundstage. The big question for me is are they better than mine since I use a good linear supply vs. their switching supply. The answer is yes. In the midrange it was close, but I felt the NCs had a better sense of space with improvements in very low level detail retrieval. Maybe a 5% improvement. The high frequencies were an easier call with the NCs being much cleaner and musical. A good 15% improvement over the UCDHGs. I did not test the bass performance. So, yes they are better and yes, they are worth purchasing. How will these babies sound with a really great linear power supply?
Chris H.

Hypex NCore NC400 - USA Tour Listening Impressions

but mind that the guy is a manufacturer.

to make other people's job easier, maybe it'd be a good thing to remind them that there is a (ongoing?) listening tour impression thread at audiocircle. user jwtrace built a NCORE-based amp (with Hypex SMPS) and sent it on a tour around US. users send their feedback there. very nice initiative.

Hypex NCore NC400 - USA Tour Listening Impressions
Old 14th November 2012, 07:36 PM   #5403
Koifarm is offline Koifarm  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
+/0/- 65V/5A with 20000uf capacity a rail.
+/0/- 18V/100mA regulated with lm317/lm337 or better.
I use 625VA 2x45V transformer so the current is near 7A. Further 4x MUR1620 diodes in the rectifier. 6 x 10000uf/80V capacitors. Buffersupply is standard lm317/337 circuit with 250mA transformer.

Some weekends ago we did compare the ncore to a ucd400hg setup at a meeting with about 20 people. Most of the people heard very small differences.
But a lot of the people could not tell witch they like most. Most people said that day that they would not spent the extra money for the ncore modules because of the very small differences.
Old 14th November 2012, 07:42 PM   #5404
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Some weekends ago we did compare the ncore to a ucd400hg setup at a meeting with about 20 people. Most of the people heard very small differences.
But a lot of the people could not tell witch they like most. Most people said that day that they would not spent the extra money for the ncore modules because of the very small differences.
Has anyone actually done a proper ABX of a nc400 with a linear supply vs. a SMPS600?
Old 14th November 2012, 07:45 PM   #5405
diyAudio Member

Yes.
Old 14th November 2012, 07:47 PM   #5406
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Yes.
And?
Old 14th November 2012, 08:02 PM   #5407
diyAudio Member

I could not hear any difference with my dynaudio audience 52 Se speakers.

On a set of magnapan 3.7 speakers i like the linear powersupply above the smps. But the difference is very, very small. I think that it is important what speakers you use.

So it is as always with audio you must first listen on your own setup. When i look at price/performance ratio then the smps is the better choice.
Old 14th November 2012, 08:11 PM   #5408
diyAudio Member

Quote:
When i look at price/performance ratio then the smps is the better choice.
It makes sens and corroborate more than one reports. Thanks for sharing.
Old 14th November 2012, 08:17 PM   #5409
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mr_push_pull
Quote:
I could not hear any difference with my dynaudio audience 52 Se speakers.
for what it's worth...

I have owned those speakers and I'd recommend them any day for the price, especially that they're out of production and can be bought for bargain prices.

but they're not the most revealing out there WRT amplifiers, differences that are more than obvious on the current ones (Dynaudio Confidence 3) were masked by the Audiences. the Confidences use the Esotar tweeter and it's incomparable to the one used in the A52s. while it sounds somehow polite it's at the same time revealing. I think you know what I mean, not that in your face presentation but rather "yeah, I can do it if you want me to". I can wax lyrical too, you know LOL
I've compared the UCDs with other amps on the current speakers. there are differences but rather subtle (sublte is a vague and subjective term, be reminded, many others would readily pay 10k for that kind of subtle). I wouldn't be surprised if differences of the kind linear vs SMPS or UCD vs NCORE seemed slight or even completely masked on A52s.

all this needs to be taken in the context that the acoustic of my listening room is not exactly ideal.
Old 14th November 2012, 08:21 PM   #5410
diyAudio Member

A quote from audiochews:

Quick update to this thread. The other week I heard an Art Audio Quintet power amp in place of the nCore's in my system. To my surprise the Art Audio (valve amp) which outputs 30w or so really drove my speakers in a way I've not yet achieved with the nCore's. In comparison the nCore's sounded less punchy and not as enjoyable. Given all the praise that the nCore's continue to receive on various fora I can't help feeling I've got something fundamentally wrong with my build. Surely with 200w on tap and 24a peak current output the nCore's should be capable of greater slam than a 30w valve amp?

This is what i heard also on my setup. I like the sound of my fu13 2 x 20watt tube amp much more then any class D amp. Visitors at my home always ask a demonstration of the difference between the hypex amps and my tube amps and mostly they like the Fu13 as best.

Hide this!Advertise here!