hypex ncore - Page 538 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th November 2012, 05:45 PM   #5371
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mr_push_pull
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esperado View Post
Class D is often considered like a cheap technology, appreciated in PA system, mobile phones or TV screens for its hight efficiency. There your answer takes all its sens.
the SMPS-powered, class-D amps from Jeff Rowland are anything but cheap and I haven't seen many bars/discos using them. and I do go out quite a lot
Old 13th November 2012, 06:24 PM   #5372
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Class D is often considered like a cheap technology, appreciated in PA system, mobile phones or TV screens for its hight efficiency. There your answer takes all its sens.
My consideration had nothing to do with "cheap technology". Small size and low power consumption / less heat are good things, whatever the price category, unless you are part of the "it can't be good unless it weighs 75 kg, heats the house and glows in the dark" school of audiophools...
Old 13th November 2012, 06:30 PM   #5373
pos is online now pos  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioschipper View Post
I didn't try an analoge power supply. I have simply no reason to. I have build 5 nCores in 1 case, multichannel. Just nothing to complain about. No hum, no interference, just... music!
How many power supplies do you use for the 5 ncores?
Old 13th November 2012, 06:39 PM   #5374
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_push_pull View Post
as per Bruno, NCORE was designed with low distortion alone in mind and not "voiced" to sound in a specific way. second, any subjective impression is not verifiable. it is a known fact (at least for me) that some people dislike all switching power supplies for no specific reasons
I don't want to enter in this kind of debate. As an (retired) electronic designer myself, i know the importance of measurements, but, as a (retired) sound engineer, i know they are far to represent the whole story. Specially in the time domain. If i can get an objective point of view about the sonic difference from any power supply on a given amp, (big caps VS paralleled ones vs regulated vs stabilized vs sone specific switched one) i'm unable to extend any conclusion to a general law.
That why i asked the question, hoping to have real life experience feed-backs more than general dissertation on this subject, useless most of the time.

Last edited by Esperado; 13th November 2012 at 06:44 PM.
Old 13th November 2012, 06:55 PM   #5375
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pos View Post
5 nCores and 5 SMPS. I know, it's a bit overkill.... But
Old 13th November 2012, 07:02 PM   #5376
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
5 nCores and 5 SMPS. I know, it's a bit overkill.... But
If it is worth doing it is worth overdoing... But in my own boxes (4 nCores per box) I share 2 SMPS's among 4 nCores.
Old 13th November 2012, 07:09 PM   #5377
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pos View Post
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0165.jpg (273.5 KB, 277 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0189.jpg (189.7 KB, 267 views)
Old 13th November 2012, 07:23 PM   #5378
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mr_push_pull
Quote:
I don't want to enter in this kind of debate.
would you consider subjective opinions from random strangers being unreliable a debatable subject? (it's just a rhetorical question)

Quote:
That why i asked the question, hoping to have real life experience feed-backs more than general dissertation on this subject, useless most of the time.
this forum, like most audio-related ones, is divided into two camps. which you know already. I wouldn't base a purchase on either camp's member opinion because some of them are too extreme in their views. yes, unfortunately both subjectivists and objectivists can be extremists. UNLESS I actually know those people. I really can't understand how you can base a purchase decision (this is what you're after, otherwise asking is pointless) on a stranger's opinion. if actually I knew the guys, their systems, their listening preferences, their listening experience etc, maybe.
IMO NCORE is a case of buy, build, listen and keep or sell. you can read ten thousand reviews and still not be convinced. look at the audiocirce listening impressions topic, most reviews are positive. some are not. who is right? can you tell?
if you're unwilling to risk almost 1000 euros, just buy something you can listen beforehand. I myself decided that that sum is too much for me at the moment so I postponed indefinitely my purchase. take a leape or faith or not. it's that simple. and you get the "bonus" of actually knowing which PS sounds best.
this being said, I still can't understand why would you be interested an amp designed by someone who mostly doesn't agree with your views. especially when you consider class D and SMPS a cheap, pro audio oriented solution.
useless dissertation over.

PS: I posted the Genesis review link which contains a discussion which involves another professional designer's view, focusing exactly on the linear vs switching supply thing. thanks for considering that useless

Last edited by mr_push_pull; 13th November 2012 at 07:39 PM.
Old 13th November 2012, 07:41 PM   #5379
avr300 is offline avr300  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
>cool amp<
Old 13th November 2012, 07:44 PM   #5380
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_push_pull View Post
would you consider subjective opinions from random strangers being unreliable a debatable subject? (it's just a rhetorical question)....thanks for considering that useless
Please, forgive-me, i had no time yet to read all the stuff, English is not my native language, it is brain consuming for me... :-) Thanks for the link, of course.

For the previous, about subjective opinions of strangers, it is possible to read between lines, sometimes, and get a little idea of the poster preferences and listening accuracy, from some details. Better if you can correlate subjective feelings of several people. By example, reading an other thread about this, it seems the difference is not so obvious between the two kinds of SMPS. if someones can confirm, my choice is done.

Last edited by Esperado; 13th November 2012 at 07:55 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!