hypex ncore - Page 524 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th October 2012, 12:02 PM   #5231
tony399 is offline tony399  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 18th October 2012, 12:04 PM   #5232
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_push_pull View Post
I thought there is some aux out that always delivers power.
From the SMPS600? I hoped so too but the data sheet shows that once in standby both main and auxiliary output voltages will drop gradually
Old 18th October 2012, 12:12 PM   #5233
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mr_push_pull
then I can't think of any quick way. the quickest, dirties and cheapest way to get the collector voltage would be to use the SMSP from a phone charger (small, galvanic isolation).
Old 18th October 2012, 12:19 PM   #5234
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the tip.

Do you think there would be any harm in just using hard switching of the mains AC with relays? ie. nAMPON tied to ground, and leaving the SMPS's standby feature unused.
Old 18th October 2012, 12:31 PM   #5235
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mr_push_pull
I'm not the authority here but... I thought you wanted to use the control input because your source has a control output. if you're willing to give it up I'd say there wouldn't be any problem. most people here don't use it anyway.
Old 18th October 2012, 12:39 PM   #5236
diyAudio Member

Call me old school but I don't like turning equiment on and off - that always seems to be what causes it to blow up! My current solid state amps and other Class D amps are left constantly on. I'm happy to do the same with the ncore's, but since I'm having to re-build everything anyway, I thought I might as well include some way of turning them on and off with the standby feature of the source.

My idea is to use the 12v output of the source to trigger relays that connect AC live to the SMPS600. It would just have been nice to be able to use the standby feature but I guess Bruno hasn't allowed for standard trigger switching.
Old 18th October 2012, 12:43 PM   #5237
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by judderod View Post
My idea is to use the 12v output of the source to trigger relays that connect AC live to the SMPS600. It would just have been nice to be able to use the standby feature but I guess Bruno hasn't allowed for standard trigger switching.
It wouldn't add much complexity to have the relay switch a very simple low voltage supply instead of live AC - the benefit being a) soft start/shutdown, b) not having to switch AC, and c) not having to route the SMPS600 supply through limited-capacity relay contacts. Oh, and d) being able to use a much smaller relay.
Old 18th October 2012, 12:48 PM   #5238
diyAudio Member

Hmm very true... So thinking out loud... The source triggers a very small 12v relay that connects a very small mains transformer (constantly connected to mains) to a dc rectifier that's connected to the standby pin of the SMPS. Yes that does sound like a much better idea
Old 18th October 2012, 12:50 PM   #5239
tony399 is offline tony399  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

If the psu is in standby there should be somewhere to tap off a permanent voltage output, this would be a lot simpler than all the extra circuitry, I would suggest asking Hypex for help on this.
Old 18th October 2012, 01:04 PM   #5240
ds23man is offline ds23man  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I made a nice standby psu for the hypex smps/ncore/ucd.

It can be used with a latching or non latching switch ( low voltage) and can also be used with an external 12v trigger. I will post more details later.

Hide this!Advertise here!