hypex ncore - Page 523 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th October 2012, 07:09 AM   #5221
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julf View Post
I agree - that's why I was surprised to hear a claim it could actually cause distortion, but then a lot of people do claim effects of turbulence in bass reflex vents.
And indeed there are; air velocity in ports reaches highway speeds.
Old 17th October 2012, 10:33 AM   #5222
diyAudio Member

Default Quick questions

I'm just designing the layout and wiring for my ncores.

The ncores and smps will me mounted on the rear of the speakers, basically on a metal stand-off plate, probably enclosed with perforated sheet.

There will be a distance of about 8 inches between the ncore's output and my speaker's tri-wire terminals. It doesn't look like I'll be able to fit more than 2 wires onto each ncore output terminal, ie. biwire. So I guess I could either use much thinner speaker cable, or biwire into triwire at the binding posts, using one pair of connections for the woofer and one pair shared across the mid and tweeter. Any suggestions guys?

Also I wanted to ask if there would be any improvement by individually shielding (enclosing with perforated sheet) the ncore and the smps from each other, since it doesn't really make any difference to the build.
Old 17th October 2012, 06:59 PM   #5223
igy137 is offline igy137  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Hi All,

I'm in the work of building active loudspeakers with 3 ncores per speakers, and I'd like to minimize the place used by the power supplies and ncore modules.

I'll have two SMPS600 powering 3 modules: 1 ps for the bass, 1 ps for mid/tweeter.
I was planning to use 5-6 cm spacers and stack the ncores on the top of each other, and doing the same with the power supplies.

Is this enough or do I need to keep more distance between them to keep the best performance?

Also, is it ok to keep the ncores very close to the power supplies?

Thanks,

igy
Old 17th October 2012, 07:04 PM   #5224
Julf is online now Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by igy137 View Post
I was planning to use 5-6 cm spacers and stack the ncores on the top of each other, and doing the same with the power supplies.
I am not sure it is a good idea. It does place the inductors close and in alignment with each other, so there might be interference.
Old 17th October 2012, 07:07 PM   #5225
ChrisPa is offline ChrisPa  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi All,

I'm in the work of building active loudspeakers with 3 ncores per speakers, and I'd like to minimize the place used by the power supplies and ncore modules.

I'll have two SMPS600 powering 3 modules: 1 ps for the bass, 1 ps for mid/tweeter.

Is this enough or do I need to keep more distance between them to keep the best performance?

Thanks,

igy
Bruno & Jan Peter seem to be more than happy with this

Control how your interconnecting wires are routed and keep them twisted
Old 18th October 2012, 10:21 AM   #5226
diyAudio Member

Quote:
No problem at all.
Old 18th October 2012, 10:33 AM   #5227
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by judderod View Post
I'm just designing the layout and wiring for my ncores.

The ncores and smps will me mounted on the rear of the speakers, basically on a metal stand-off plate, probably enclosed with perforated sheet.

There will be a distance of about 8 inches between the ncore's output and my speaker's tri-wire terminals. It doesn't look like I'll be able to fit more than 2 wires onto each ncore output terminal, ie. biwire. So I guess I could either use much thinner speaker cable, or biwire into triwire at the binding posts, using one pair of connections for the woofer and one pair shared across the mid and tweeter. Any suggestions guys?

Also I wanted to ask if there would be any improvement by individually shielding (enclosing with perforated sheet) the ncore and the smps from each other, since it doesn't really make any difference to the build.
Hi again...

One other question as well as the above, is there any way to invert the SMPS's standby feature (pin 1)? My source has a 12v trigger output that goes live when switched on, pretty standard for hifi. But the SMPS goes into standby when pin 1 is live. Not good!

I can only think to use 12v mains relays that switch the mains live feed to the SMPS.

Would really appreciate some other suggestions
Old 18th October 2012, 11:57 AM   #5228
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mr_push_pull
Quote:
Hi again...

One other question as well as the above, is there any way to invert the SMPS's standby feature (pin 1)? My source has a 12v trigger output that goes live when switched on, pretty standard for hifi. But the SMPS goes into standby when pin 1 is live. Not good!

I can only think to use 12v mains relays that switch the mains live feed to the SMPS.

Would really appreciate some other suggestions
a transistor?
Old 18th October 2012, 11:58 AM   #5229
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_push_pull View Post
a transistor?
Wouldn't I then need another 12v source to keep the SMPS on standby?
Old 18th October 2012, 12:02 PM   #5230
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mr_push_pull
Quote:
Wouldn't I then need another 12v source to keep the SMPS on standby?
I thought there is some aux out that always delivers power.

Hide this!Advertise here!