hypex ncore - Page 522 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th October 2012, 06:53 AM   #5211
diyAudio Member

Long interconnects & short speakers cables are my plan as well.
Old 16th October 2012, 07:20 AM   #5212
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mr_push_pull
an audiophile friend of mine who owns a very expensive system (~30keuro, just to get some perspective) told me that he felt that none of the interconnects he tested brought significant improvements to justify spending more than a few euros on them. on the other hand he also told me that the speaker cables made a significant difference.
I wasn't surprised to find that his source and amp are fully balanced and he uses balanced interconnects.
huh, it's almost as if all the claims regarding the superiority of balanced interconnects were true...
Old 16th October 2012, 09:21 AM   #5213
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regnad View Post
Has anyone placed the NC400 right at the speaker? I just have with 8 inches of 14 AWG wire and, to my ears, the sound is clearly better.
Mine are in the speaker stands, with 40 cm (16 in) of the thickest multi-conductor cable I could find (probably equivalent to 9.5 AWG). 14 AWG sounds rather thin. The nc400's have such low output impedance and high current capability that I am surprised people are using wires/cables that have a high resistance and low current capability...

Quote:
I bet the NCore would shine in active speakers
Mine are active - for each speaker I have 2 nCores for the 2 woofers, one for the 2 mids and one for the 2 tweeters, sharing 2 SMPS600s.
Old 16th October 2012, 09:26 AM   #5214
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiroPro View Post
Also a a large open cell foam insert like Dr. Gedlee uses in his waveguide can have the same perceived affect.
How does the open cell foam cause the effect? Turbulence?

Quote:
Hey lets face it people like distortion and feeback ehh!
Absolutely. What would any post-50's popular music be without a guitar distortion pedal?
Old 16th October 2012, 05:54 PM   #5215
HiroPro is offline HiroPro  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julf View Post

Absolutely. What would any post-50's popular music be without a guitar distortion pedal?

I'm not sure but I think it's "grazing incidence" within Dr. Gedlees foam insert.

All three of these changes though totally different tend to have the same pyschoacoustic affect.

That's the point I was trying to make in my DIY layman way.

It's really interesting that humans perceive "good" and "bad" distortion.

Last edited by HiroPro; 16th October 2012 at 05:57 PM.
Old 16th October 2012, 06:15 PM   #5216
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I'm not sure but I think it's "grazing incidence" within Dr. Gedlees foam insert.
I only know that term from X-ray optics - no idea what it means in acoustics.

Quote:
It's really interesting that humans perceive "good" and "bad" distortion.
Well, nothing new - that's why it's labelled "harmonic" and "inharmonic" distortion.
Old 16th October 2012, 08:19 PM   #5217
HiroPro is offline HiroPro  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I only know that term from X-ray optics - no idea what it means in acoustics.

Well, nothing new - that's why it's labelled "harmonic" and "inharmonic" distortion.
Sorry for my lack of knowledge. I'm learning everyday about acoustics and electronics. Due to no formal education in the field it's been daunting to say the least. Just when I think I have a handle on a concept I read a white paper and go... owhh... I had that totally WRONG!

LOL

I try to visualize what's happening and that foam insert must have some kinda scattering affect due to grazing incidence on each open foam "cell" "wall" or the sorta lattice structure it makes. I have never seen Dr. Geddes insert but the polar affects are very interesting. Again due to no formal education nor applied maths to these acoustic phenomena I can only guess and try to visualize what's happening using my limited knowledge base.

Imagine trying to model something like that foam insert at high frequencies!

Last edited by HiroPro; 16th October 2012 at 08:27 PM.
Old 16th October 2012, 11:03 PM   #5218
diyAudio Member

Quote:

The foam does nothing of the sort; it's simple absorption.

Turbulence requires high air velocity, which is present only in bass horns at the lowest frequencies.
Old 17th October 2012, 06:25 AM   #5219
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post
The foam does nothing of the sort; it's simple absorption.
I agree - that's why I was surprised to hear a claim it could actually cause distortion, but then a lot of people do claim effects of turbulence in bass reflex vents.
Old 17th October 2012, 06:37 AM   #5220
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Sorry for my lack of knowledge. I'm learning everyday about acoustics and electronics. Due to no formal education in the field it's been daunting to say the least. Just when I think I have a handle on a concept I read a white paper and go... owhh... I had that totally WRONG!
Nothing wrong with lack of knowledge and formal education, as long as one is aware of it and willing to learn. It's the dedicated 'audiophiles" with no knowledge and formal education, but absolute faith in their beliefs that are truly scary.

Quote:
Imagine trying to model something like that foam insert at high frequencies!
It would have to be really high frequencies. You only start getting acoustic scattering/reflection at a feature size on the order of a wavelength - and the wavelength of even a 20 kHz tone is around 2 cm (3/4 in), so your foam would have to be very grainy indeed to have an effect (unless the foam transmits sound, but slows down the speed of sound significantly - and it would still only deflect the sound, not distort it). At mid to low frequencies we are talking about much longer wavelengths.

Hide this!Advertise here!