hypex ncore - Page 512 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th October 2012, 02:19 PM   #5111
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to vdi_nenna
Quote:
Thanks. All good advice but not really applicable. Staying away from anything class D seems the easier option at present.
I know of someone developing an amp for commercial purposes.
He said working with some of these class D amp modules is like drinking distilled water.
It's ok at first, but you'll go back to spring water or even tap water just to get some flavor. They don't have much soul. Nice specs though.
Old 5th October 2012, 02:27 PM   #5112
diyAudio Member

Default I agree...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdi_nenna View Post
I know of someone developing an amp for commercial purposes.
He said working with some of these class D amp modules is like drinking distilled water.
It's ok at first, but you'll go back to spring water or even tap water just to get some flavor. They don't have much soul. Nice specs though.
with your point in a way, but think it may be a "wrong" analogy. Should not we want our amplifiers to be as distilled water, and for them to not impart any "flavor" at all? In my view, all the "flavor" should be present in the recording, and the amplifier should not be adding any "flavor" at all.
Where some amplifiers fall down, IMO, is that they do not present all of the "flavor" which is present in the recording, so far in my brief experience with nCore, I felt some the subtle harmonics of high frequency sounds (orchestral beels, chimes, cymbals) seemed to go missing in comparison with what my Pass presents. I need to do more listening though, and will be...
Old 5th October 2012, 02:47 PM   #5113
ChrisPa is offline ChrisPa  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

A power amp should have ultimate grip, control and purity - it should add nothing and take nothing away and be load- (and source-) independent

If there is some effect on the signal which the power amp introduces to add 'flavour' then it is because of a change to the signal. If we want to add seasoning to the signal, then the place to do it is upstream of the power amp
Old 5th October 2012, 02:51 PM   #5114
diyAudio Member

Quote:
IMO, is that they do not present all of the "flavor" which is present in the recording,
I agree with you. Maybe it's not the best anology. I also like to hear what was intended. By my friends description, it seems that something is lacking after passing through these modules. Maybe something from source to amplification is being subtracted? I think it's a sense of presence that they are missing.

I have another friend that had a set of Spectron amps. Liked them for many reasons.
Then, sold them for a monster set of OTL amps.

Anyway, I think these modules have a place and I think it's awesome they exist.
I know I will eventually use them for something.

Thanks for listening to my two cents. It's just an opinion based on what I heard from experienced people.

Best,

Vince
Old 6th October 2012, 12:45 PM   #5115
Henkjan is offline Henkjan  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
.... it seems that something is lacking after passing through these modules.
lacking compared to what?
Old 6th October 2012, 02:13 PM   #5116
diyAudio Member

A class a transistor amp or class a tube amp.
Old 6th October 2012, 02:22 PM   #5117
ds23man is offline ds23man  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
A class a transistor amp or class a tube amp.
Ah, you like some colouration. By or build something which is doing that!!
Old 6th October 2012, 02:45 PM   #5118
diyAudio Member

Jeez, your living to yourself. Good luck with that.
Old 6th October 2012, 02:54 PM   #5119
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrows View Post
RF pickup from the general background RF levels may be affecting the performance of your vinyl rig in a more subtle way.
Certainly, I would expect tonearm wiring to be twisted.

Physically impossible - it's an ET-2 air bearing arm and twisting the wires will impose unacceptable drag.
Old 6th October 2012, 03:04 PM   #5120
diyAudio Member

Default my

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkjan View Post
lacking compared to what?
Pass X150.5 in my case. I would not extend my listening experience to a general point of class A and class A/B amps though. Only what I have actually compared.
And: to respond to your other comment: no, what I was describing was definitely not coloration, this is specifically why I mentioned it. Coloration changes tonality of sound which already exists. What was lacking in my (admittedly too brief to come to a full conclusion, why I mentioned I am going to listen more) listening was the upper harmonic decays of bells, chimes, cymbals, and other very high frequency sounds with tonal decays. With nCore amps they just seemed quite truncated. This observation does not indicate a coloration in the Pass (although that exists as well, as with any amp) but something omitted from the output of the nCores. I have heard enough actual bells, chimes, and cymbals in real life to know.
Perhaps longer break in, and/or a slightly different build could ameliorate this lack in the nCores. I am going to do another build soon and intend to do a lot of listening and fine tuning in order to find out.

It does not help to find the real perfromance of the nCores, if everytime someone has a listening observation which could be considered negative, then someon chimes in with: "you want coloration", or "you like the sound of distortion". As if the nCore amps were "perfect". Sorry, but nothing is perfect. I find the nCores very, very impressive and promising, and am very interested in a longer term audition of them. Hence, I will be doing a high quality stero build with them. If you must have measurements which indicate that the nCores are not "perfect", I would point you to their bandwidth, though I do not know that the limited bandwidth is a problem or not. What I do know, is that many, very well respected amplifier designers, with quite a bit more experience than Mr. Putzeys, do consider extended bandwidth important for amplifiers.

Hide this!Advertise here!