hypex ncore - Page 510 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st October 2012, 11:34 PM   #5091
bavmike is offline bavmike  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hello guys. I built myself a dual mono ncore with the SMPS 600's. The amps work perfectly at home, but I brought them to my shop to setup a sound room and they don't seem to like the electricity in there. The shop has 600v coming in and then it's split into 230 3 phase and 120 single phase through a big transformer. I think the transformer is making dirty power because all of the red lights on the amps come on but no sound. I think the internal microprocessor is detecting dirty power and putting them into standby. I tried hooking them up through my monster power HTS 1000 power conditioning bar. It must of helped a bit because one channel started working and the other worked intermittently. I'm guessing the protection circuitry in the one amp is slightly more sensitive then the other. Does anybody know what I can do for a reasonable price to clean up this power? I read somewhere that people are combining step up transformers with step down transformers to clean up power. Not sure if that would be effective.
Old 2nd October 2012, 04:44 AM   #5092
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavmike View Post
Hello guys. I built myself a dual mono ncore with the SMPS 600's. The amps work perfectly at home, but I brought them to my shop to setup a sound room and they don't seem to like the electricity in there. The shop has 600v coming in and then it's split into 208 3 phase and 120 single phase through a big transformer. I think the transformer is making dirty power because all of the red lights on the amps come on but no sound. I think the internal microprocessor is detecting dirty power and putting them into standby. I tried hooking them up through my monster power HTS 1000 power conditioning bar. It must of helped a bit because one channel started working and the other worked intermittently. I'm guessing the protection circuitry in the one amp is slightly more sensitive then the other. Does anybody know what I can do for a reasonable price to clean up this power? I read somewhere that people are combining step up transformers with step down transformers to clean up power. Not sure if that would be effective.
Here's a picture of my transformer for anyone who knows more about them. Thanks in advance
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Transformer.jpg (188.3 KB, 394 views)
Old 2nd October 2012, 07:31 AM   #5093
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaakso View Post
I think he said it's not Hypex amp, just class D amp. That's one more reason I originally thought it would best to troubleshoot the amp itself, not someone else's different amp (ncore in this case). But then again, it is good to know ncore's output does not suffer from excess offset

Not sure how this confusion came about. As i very clearly stated, these were impressions of an entirely different class D amp. It totally messed up the sound of my phono setup, probably because of serious RF leak into the speaker cables. There is nothing to troubleshoot - class D amps work like that even with a linear supply. In comparison the Hypex has significantly less RF output (600mV as opposed to 1300mV). Whether this is good enough i simply don't know but for me it is a concern.

I would certainly be curious to know if anyone is using a Hypex in a high gain phono system and they are happy with the sound.
Old 2nd October 2012, 08:54 AM   #5094
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog_sa View Post
It totally messed up the sound of my phono setup, probably because of serious RF leak into the speaker cables.
And do you run the cables in such a way that the speaker cables can induce voltages into the phono input?
Old 2nd October 2012, 08:58 AM   #5095
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The shop has 600v coming in and then it's split into 230 3 phase and 120 single phase through a big transformer. I think the transformer is making dirty power because all of the red lights on the amps come on but no sound.
It might not be dirty - just out of range. I think the first thing to do is to simply measure the voltage on the 120 V circuit with the AC voltage range of a multimeter.
Old 2nd October 2012, 09:13 AM   #5096
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julf View Post
It might not be dirty - just out of range. I think the first thing to do is to simply measure the voltage on the 120 V circuit with the AC voltage range of a multimeter.
I didn't use a meter to test but my monster power bar said 120v on the digital readout. How sensitive are the units to power overages? The SMPS 600 says 132v max in the data sheet, but looking back on previous posts some people have had problems with the voltage protection not being adjusted for much leniency. My units are from the second batch in January before this problem was discovered. I'm wondering now if I can make the adjustment from home, send them back to the factory for adjustment, or just buy a voltage regulator and set it at 110v?
Old 2nd October 2012, 09:23 AM   #5097
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I didn't use a meter to test but my monster power bar said 120v on the digital readout.
OK, that is probably pretty accurate. Then the "dirtiness" enters - there could be significant peaks on that 120 V. I wonder if the auto-voltage circuit gets confused?

Quote:
I'm wondering now if I can make the adjustment from home, send them back to the factory for adjustment, or just buy a voltage regulator and set it at 110v?
Any chance of borrowing an adjustable transformer?
Old 2nd October 2012, 09:29 AM   #5098
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julf View Post
OK, that is probably pretty accurate. Then the "dirtiness" enters - there could be significant peaks on that 120 V. I wonder if the auto-voltage circuit gets confused?

Any chance of borrowing an adjustable transformer?
I don't know where I can find one. I think I'm going to buy one of these and see if it does the trick:

http://www.apc.com/products/resource...ase_sku=LE1200
Old 2nd October 2012, 09:35 AM   #5099
troystg is offline troystg  United States
diyAudio Member

Your Monster power bar is a conditioner or does it regulate also? 120 is VERY high for a home circuit, usually 110-115VAC is the norm.

Get (borrow) a Fluke 87 series meter and use the record the max/min voltage function to see if it varies up any..
I had the same issue with a linear power supply on my UcD amps.. My line voltage was 118VAC so I put a cl60 in series and upped the resistors values in my twisted pair power supply PCBs and was able to just squeek under the limit.

I don't know if the Hypex SMPS has an auto adjust funtion to switch between 115 and 230 VAC.
Old 2nd October 2012, 09:37 AM   #5100
troystg is offline troystg  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I don't know where I can find one. I think I'm going to buy one of these and see if it does the trick:

http://www.apc.com/products/resource...ase_sku=LE1200

I LOVED my old Tripp-lite LCR-2400.. It worked GREAT but weighed a ton..

Hide this!Advertise here!