hypex ncore - Page 502 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st September 2012, 01:20 PM   #5011
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioschipper View Post
Maybe it is not the best wy to switch on the nCore but given the fact that it also 'tics' when I mute the Marantz pre, it shouldn't make a difference I guess?
Do you also get the tic when leaving the nCores on, and turning off/muting the Marantz (so with the remote control cable between the Marantz and the nCores disconnected)? Would you happen to have a 12V relay handy to try a temporary test circuit to use SMPS standby instead of the Hypex softstart module?

(edit: I realize the Marantz control output can only drive 150 mA, but that should still be enough for a small-signal relay)
Old 1st September 2012, 02:01 PM   #5012
3lviz is offline 3lviz  Finland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lm1no2 View Post
Hi, my NCore, excellent sound.
Only one question: Does connection between case and ground is correct, the green wire.
Look at nc400 datasheet again: "Figure 2: Preferred connection". There is no connection from IEC ground to chassis. Also, check that XLR pin 1 is connected straight to the chassis and also the signal ground from the module should be also connected to the chassis. I did not see those chassis connections in your build.
Old 1st September 2012, 03:41 PM   #5013
diyAudio Member

If I have removed the R141 from NC-400 (and would like to keep it that way), is it possible to match the gain of UCD-400 with the NC-400? That is with UCD-400HG HxR powered by SMPS400 and NC-400 powered by SMPS600.

gain_nc = 4.17*(1+2*Rf_nc/Rg_nc)
gain_ucd = 4.5*(1+2*Rf_ucd/Rg_ucd)

gain_ucd = gain_nc
4.5*(1+2*Rf_ucd/Rg_ucd) = 4.17*(1+2*Rf_nc/Rg_nc)

R141 removed, so
rg_nc = infinity

=> 4.5*(1 + 2 * Rf_ucd / Rg_ucd) = 4.17
<=> Rf_ucd / Rg_ucd = (4.17 / 4.5 - 1) / 2
=>Rf_ucd / Rg_ucd = -0,03666...

=> no can do but it is very close to 0.

SO,

Does this mean that if i set rg_ucd=infinity (remove the R3 altogether) difference in gain will be very negligible and close enough to bi-amp UCD-400HG with NC-400 with R141 removed?

Does that -0.0366 somehow describe the 0.2dB difference in overall gain according to datasheets?

Last edited by 3lviz; 1st September 2012 at 03:48 PM.
Old 1st September 2012, 04:47 PM   #5014
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPa View Post
Go and have a look at Bruno's papers on Class D design - you should find it answered there
and it's probably fair to assume that subsequent designs have tried to improve upon performance from his original papers

Fair to assume? With hundreds out in the field no one has ever hooked a scope to the output???
Old 1st September 2012, 04:51 PM   #5015
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lviz View Post
Does that -0.0366 somehow describe the 0.2dB difference in overall gain according to datasheets?
Well, the gain ratio is actually 1.0791366906 (4.5/4.17) - so 0.7 dB. Anyway, still not a big difference.
Old 1st September 2012, 05:23 PM   #5016
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julf View Post
Well, the gain ratio is actually 1.0791366906 (4.5/4.17) - so 0.7 dB. Anyway, still not a big difference.
Right...thanks! No, that is not a big difference.
Old 1st September 2012, 05:32 PM   #5017
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog_sa View Post
Fair to assume? With hundreds out in the field no one has ever hooked a scope to the output???
More than happy to do it next time I have my amp up on the workshop desk.
Old 1st September 2012, 07:12 PM   #5018
Corpius is offline Corpius  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default Another way to switch on you amps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioschipper View Post
Maybe it is not the best wy to switch on the nCore but given the fact that it also 'tics' when I mute the Marantz pre, it shouldn't make a difference I guess?
Hi Audioschipper,

At the moment i'm switching the amps on with the power switch at the IEC power inlet. Because I positioned my amps and other audio gear different in my audio rack it is now a bit hard to reach. Therefore I designed a simple circuit that detects the incomming line signal and then switched on the amps. It also switched off the amps when there is no signal for about 15 minutes.

I got the schematics from Elliott Sound Products and designed a little pcb myself using his schematics. I just received the pcb's and soldered the components to it this afternoon. I'll build it soon into my amps and see how this works out. Perhaps this is also a nice solution for you? Because I had to order 10 pcs I have some pcb's left
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7961_small.jpg (255.4 KB, 652 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7963_small.jpg (278.2 KB, 625 views)
Old 1st September 2012, 07:20 PM   #5019
jlaakso is offline jlaakso  Finland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpius View Post
Hi Audioschipper,

At the moment i'm switching the amps on with the power switch at the IEC power inlet. Because I positioned my amps and other audio gear different in my audio rack it is now a bit hard to reach. Therefore I designed a simple circuit that detects the incomming line signal and then switched on the amps. It also switched off the amps when there is no signal for about 15 minutes.

I got the schematics from Elliott Sound Products and designed a little pcb myself using his schematics. I just received the pcb's and soldered the components to it this afternoon. I'll build it soon into my amps and see how this works out. Perhaps this is also a nice solution for you? Because I had to order 10 pcs I have some pcb's left
Does that mute the amps (nAmpon) or switch the psu to standby? This would be very useful for lot of people, at least me If I ever get to build these, that is.
Old 1st September 2012, 09:02 PM   #5020
cab is offline cab
diyAudio Member

nampon puts the amp into standby, not the power supply. To put the smps in standby, you need an external signal to pin 1 of the J1 header of the smps.

Hide this!Advertise here!