hypex ncore - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th June 2011, 02:21 PM   #41
Matsen is offline Matsen  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Putzeys View Post
I think this might be the right moment for you guys to chip in with feature or spec suggestions.
Why not place the nCore modules in the gaps between the UCD-modules?
In that way you get a more "linear" product map and it will be even more difficult for us to decide what to choose...

180W UCD
300W nCore
400W UCD
550W nCore
700W UCD
Old 14th June 2011, 04:21 PM   #42
diyAudio Member

As a UCD400hg hxr with SMPS user I'd suggest a 1k unit but with easily adjustable gain making it suitable for a very wide power range in conjunction with various power grades SMPS. Only had the UCD400's 6 months now something tempting to replace them with...???
Old 14th June 2011, 05:19 PM   #43
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by back View Post
great measurements there bruno.
i think nc 1200 would be the ideal module if you offer only one.
Looking at the specs, the nc1200 is actually quite close to the UcD700.

Both are spec'd at 90V supply rails. Both run ~700W clipping into 4 ohm. I think the ncore is stronger into 2 ohms. And was named as such.

so NC1200 ~= "UcD700++"

I suppose if that were the only DIY model I would be OK with it. But I wouldn't mind a little less power if it keeps the cost more reasonable.

Of course, the "improved" UcD line should be no slouch either
Old 14th June 2011, 05:28 PM   #44
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagemachine View Post
As a UCD400hg hxr with SMPS user I'd suggest a 1k unit but with easily adjustable gain [...]
hmm, easily adjustable gain would be nice. With many preamps I've used, the 26dB (IIRC) gain of the UcD400 is too high. It would work well to be 10dB lower.

It is easy to change the gain on UcD by swapping a resistor - however, I've been too lazy to touch the completed amp and pull the UcD boards out to get at the bottom side. (for now, high gain is good, as I'm using a passive volume. for now... )

Easily adjustable (even two step) gain would be nice, but the downside is a jumper or switch...
Old 14th June 2011, 05:58 PM   #45
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclectic2k View Post
hmm, easily adjustable gain would be nice. With many preamps I've used, the 26dB (IIRC) gain of the UcD400 is too high. It would work well to be 10dB lower.

It is easy to change the gain on UcD by swapping a resistor - however, I've been too lazy to touch the completed amp and pull the UcD boards out to get at the bottom side. (for now, high gain is good, as I'm using a passive volume. for now... )

Easily adjustable (even two step) gain would be nice, but the downside is a jumper or switch...

that's what I did, change r3 for a lower gain (I think it is now about 15db) but it is tricky with the smd as you can guess....
Old 14th June 2011, 07:17 PM   #46
cab is offline cab
diyAudio Member

Better to have too much power rather than not enough..I vote for making one module for both DIY and OEM....NC1200.....
Old 14th June 2011, 07:47 PM   #47
UKPD is offline UKPD  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Same here, my ribbons would love that new NCore. Mmm 2R stable...

Peter.
Old 14th June 2011, 08:12 PM   #48
diyAudio Member

Funny... I thought that by now I'd have been inundated in requests for this op amp or that... I suppose that means it wasn't too bad on the old HG series then

I just had a quick look at the DIY sales figures for the past year. It seems we've shifted 6 UcD400HG's for every UcD700HG. 's called a wossname, podal democracy or something like that Not that I don't sympathise, mind. I feel very puissant with the two 1200 proto's in my stereo. Keep the votes coming.

The reason why we'd like to have a different DIY/OEM offering is to avoid the usual kvetching from high end manufacturers who must absolutely have something that isn't available on the open market. So once that's decided we could just as well differentiate the feature sets. Things like easier connectors for DIY (B2W instead of B2B connectors, no special industrial types), a nice input buffer (which is where OEM customers like to express their own genius) etc.

Last edited by Bruno Putzeys; 14th June 2011 at 08:22 PM.
Old 14th June 2011, 08:20 PM   #49
kevinh is offline kevinh  United States
diyAudio Member

Ideally the input would be a discrete Fet stage, but.....
Old 14th June 2011, 08:58 PM   #50
diyAudio Member

Default Less power

My vote goes for a smaller lower power variant that would make a high quality active setup at domestic output levels possible. Something like three channels at 50/50/100 watt would do very nicely. Up to double those levels if you feel the technology demands it I guess.

That would really distinguish the offering from the commercial one and allow some quite versatile DIY building. A single 2.1 setup or two tri-amped speakers from a pair would be obvious builds.

Hide this!Advertise here!