Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th August 2012, 01:56 PM   #4931
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julf View Post
As stated, the best way to do that is to either use the SMPS standby line to switch the power supply to standby, or nAMPON to put the amp(s) into standby.
What is gained by using standby (either p. supply or NC400) in stead of using a power switch (taking into consideration that I use valve pre that needs som warmup time before delivering the goods)?
Regards
Kjartan
Old 16th August 2012, 03:09 PM   #4932
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbergsson View Post
What is gained by using standby (either p. supply or NC400) in stead of using a power switch (taking into consideration that I use valve pre that needs som warmup time before delivering the goods)?
Pretty much just avoiding the rather brutal switch-on/switch-off transient, plus the fact that you can use a low-voltage, low-current switch, giving you more choice.
Old 16th August 2012, 05:00 PM   #4933
3lviz is offline 3lviz  Finland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Pretty much just avoiding the rather brutal switch-on/switch-off transient, plus the fact that you can use a low-voltage, low-current switch, giving you more choice.
Power on transient does not exist since there is delay before the amps turn on. Power off transient does not seem to exist either. I have never heard any kind of sound from the speakers during powering off my nCores. This is with smps600+nc400. However, i have heard those power on/off transients with some other amps.

This leaves me wondering what kind of brutal transients we are talking about ?
Old 16th August 2012, 07:54 PM   #4934
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OllBoll View Post
Considering that the major cost is the modules themselves a single SMPS isn't that much to add, why not go with safety first and buy their SMPS? And it obviously works great with the modules so you don't have to worry about compatibility =)
Is a single SMPS600 enough for a pair of NC400s? I guess I just don't want compromised dynamics, especially since my speakers are only around 84db/w/m hanging around 4 ohm.
Old 16th August 2012, 07:58 PM   #4935
mjock3 is offline mjock3  United States
diyAudio Member

RockLee, what are you using for speakers? My HT3's are about that spec.
Old 16th August 2012, 08:03 PM   #4936
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjock3 View Post
RockLee, what are you using for speakers? My HT3's are about that spec.
Aren't those actually around ~79db/w @ 2.5 ohm or 84db/2.83v whereas my Philharmonic 2s are 84db/w @ 4 ohm or 87db/2.83v

Your speakers are way more difficult to drive than mine, which sound pretty good even with my 100wpc Marantz amp. I'm guessing the single SMPS600 might be enough but I don't want to get upgraditis either. I just want some opinions

Last edited by RockLeeEV; 16th August 2012 at 08:17 PM.
Old 16th August 2012, 08:19 PM   #4937
OllBoll is offline OllBoll  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLeeEV View Post
Is a single SMPS600 enough for a pair of NC400s? I guess I just don't want compromised dynamics, especially since my speakers are only around 84db/w/m hanging around 4 ohm.
Well... yeah

Even with 84 db speakers your ears will break before the SMPS does
Old 16th August 2012, 08:20 PM   #4938
mjock3 is offline mjock3  United States
diyAudio Member

I was using the specs from Salks site. Ncore drive them just fine. I am really enjoying them. Best of luck with your system.
Old 16th August 2012, 09:20 PM   #4939
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lviz View Post
Power on transient does not exist since there is delay before the amps turn on. Power off transient does not seem to exist either. I have never heard any kind of sound from the speakers during powering off my nCores. This is with smps600+nc400. However, i have heard those power on/off transients with some other amps.

This leaves me wondering what kind of brutal transients we are talking about ?
The ones hitting the SMPS if it's power feed is switched on/off. The fact that the SMPS does a soft start/shutdown protects the amp(s) and speakers, but the SMPS itself still gets a brutal dose of electrons without any warning

The SMPS is probably so well designed that switching the primary power feed on/off repeatedly won't harm it, but I just feel it is unnecessary to subject it to that brutal treatment when there is a dedicated standby control available....
Old 16th August 2012, 11:17 PM   #4940
3lviz is offline 3lviz  Finland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The SMPS is probably so well designed that switching the primary power feed on/off repeatedly won't harm it, but I just feel it is unnecessary to subject it to that brutal treatment when there is a dedicated standby control available....
Who would turn their amp on and off continuously like playing with a light switch? And if someone would actually dumb enough to do it, what would it take to make the person to understand to put the amp into standby mode before flipping the switch to "off" position?

I think better solution is to put a proper on/off switch to back of the amp, so the "retarded" can't reach it .

Hide this!Advertise here!