hypex ncore - Page 491 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st August 2012, 10:42 PM   #4901
cab is offline cab
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badman View Post
'cept then the wire oxidizes and also can resonate within the tube, undamped. Not good!

Of course, OCC magnet wire is typically used and that's not going to oxidize.
Not going to resonate if it is twisted or braided. Oxidation isn't a problem with silver wire or lacquered copper....
Old 1st August 2012, 11:45 PM   #4902
jtwrace is offline jtwrace  United States
diyAudio Member

If anyone needs cables and likes the Hypex NCore amps. I'd highly recommend these.

Interlink HG https://www.hypexshop.com/
Old 2nd August 2012, 10:23 PM   #4903
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab View Post
Not going to resonate if it is twisted or braided. Oxidation isn't a problem with silver wire or lacquered copper....
Twisting or braiding is irrelevant if the wire isn't constrained within the tube- unless the braid is so tight as to pull the conductors tight against the insides of the tubes. And as the assembly is moved, they'll naturally create space over time.

Back before I knew how to design speakers, I spent a lot of time with the minutia of audio cables. Now, in perspective, it seems kind of silly. Pretty minor effects compared to speakers and circuits. But one effect that could be significant were mechanical resonances and associated microphonics in audio cables.

I wound up using a wrapped conductor constrained with a matrix of teflon tubes to achieve good damping but also significant spacing and low dielectric absorbtion.

But there's not a lot to fuss about in a nice quality balanced input wire, unlesss you add flavor by getting overfancy in the wrong ways. With single-ended, the cable starts to matter more.

A very solid recipe for balanced is to use a twisted pair of your preferred conductor, with a dissimilar (different awg) ground conductor run parallel to the twisted pair, all wrapped with teflon tape (get the 1.5" mil-spec stuff from McMaster Carr), spray this assembly with some anti-static carpet fluid and slide into an overall teflon tube. Insert smaller tubes into the gap in the assembly at either end as far as you can, to restrain the conductor assembly within the tube, and make the ends more dense and durable. Then use an overall shield and terminate properly, generally "telescoping", or grounded at the source end, is a good choice.

But it's a lot of effort and cost for a very small gain, in a short internal run of balanced cable.

Kimber "varistrand" copper makes a great ground wire for this type of assembly.

And now that I've given that all away.....
Old 2nd August 2012, 11:10 PM   #4904
cab is offline cab
diyAudio Member

If the wire wasn't constrained within the tube, it would fall out. Putting a 28 gauge wire in a 24 gauge piece of eptfe is no easy chore. Braiding or twisting will result in the wire touching the inside of the insulation at multiple points, and will securely hold it. I wasn't talking about a 28 gauge wire in a 12 awg tube....
Old 8th August 2012, 08:00 AM   #4905
icsaki is offline icsaki  United States
diyAudio Member

What's the waiting time now for the NC400 modules and the SMPS600 power supplies?
Old 8th August 2012, 08:18 AM   #4906
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icsaki View Post
What's the waiting time now for the NC400 modules and the SMPS600 power supplies?
Start shipping September 3th, see all details Hypex Electronics B.V. Webshop

Or you could always drop sales (at) hypex (dot) nl an email.
Old 8th August 2012, 11:32 AM   #4907
jtwrace is offline jtwrace  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icsaki View Post
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NC400 Shipping.JPG (18.6 KB, 632 views)
Old 8th August 2012, 07:22 PM   #4908
Studley is offline Studley  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

The cases that I am going to use for my Ncores will allow me to mount the PS and the amp modules on opposite sides of a vertical 2mm aluminum sheet. I will also mount them as far apart in the vertical plane as the power connector lead will allow. So I'm looking to minimize the magnetic field interaction as much as possible in this way. Any comments from those who know about these things?
Old 8th August 2012, 08:07 PM   #4909
ChrisPa is offline ChrisPa  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley View Post
The cases that I am going to use for my Ncores will allow me to mount the PS and the amp modules on opposite sides of a vertical 2mm aluminum sheet. I will also mount them as far apart in the vertical plane as the power connector lead will allow. So I'm looking to minimize the magnetic field interaction as much as possible in this way. Any comments from those who know about these things?
keep the cables as sensibly short as you can
Keep psu harness and speaker cables as sensibly away from each other as you can
Twist psu and speaker cables as much as you can

Otherwise don't worry
Old 10th August 2012, 02:06 AM   #4910
diyAudio Member

My build.

Thanks Bruno & Jan-Peter.

Anand.

Hide this!Advertise here!