hypex ncore - Page 482 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th July 2012, 01:18 AM   #4811
diyAudio Member

Default perfect...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwrace View Post
I used 12AWG DH Labs wire (silver plated copper) bare on the terminal end. Did exactly as you said...checked the torque for a few days and it was fine and still is after a few months.
Thanks for the feedback.
Old 14th July 2012, 10:24 AM   #4812
pos is offline pos  Europe
diyAudio Member

I ordered the crimping tool with my last hypex order, and I must say I am very happy with it: it isreally heavy duty and works like a charm:
https://www.hypexshop.com/DetailServlet?detailID=2113

very good buy for the price!
Old 15th July 2012, 08:46 AM   #4813
diyAudio Member

Default Some questions to Bruno

Dear Bruno, I am new to the DIY Hifi world and read the thread attentively and then ordered the Ncore400 with the dedicated power supplies. Now I have some questions I would like to ask you.
1) Which Preamps do you recommend for the Ncores? I will for the time being use the pre out of my Musical Fidelity x-150 and ordered the Interlink ST RCA-XLR with my ncores to connect them to the balanced input I intend to use for the ncore. Do you recommend passive preamps? I use two sources, digital versus my Metrum Octave and phono versus Emmeline Nighthawk F-117 with adjustable gain settings.
2) You are very critical of Pass First Watt amplifiers, as I understand because they don't have enough power. But I wonder if the DIY First Watt B1 buffer preamp is something that might be worth looking into in your opinion. Or should I rather wait for your new preamp/dac project? Will this be OEM only or also for DIY?
3) Did you actually try and measure the Metrum Octave? Given that they use different kind of chips I don't know if the technical problems of NOS that you indicated are as pronounced as with the old chips
4) I am still looking for a case for the ncores and find the cases you used for demo purposes (like the ones pictured by Marja & Henk at 6moons) very cute. Any chance you might tell us were we can get them from?

All the best and looking forward to your answers (and the ncores of course)
Old 15th July 2012, 03:15 PM   #4814
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

As Bruno is probably out somewhere enjoying the sunshine after some very rainy days (I am just back from a wet weekend in Assen). let me take a first cut...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnenwender View Post
Do you recommend passive preamps?
I seem to remember Bruno isn't very fond of passive preamps. I know I am concerned with them - unless you get the impedances right, they can lead to nonlinear volume control behaviour and other oddities.

Quote:
3) Did you actually try and measure the Metrum Octave? Given that they use different kind of chips I don't know if the technical problems of NOS that you indicated are as pronounced as with the old chips
I guess the main issue with non-oversampling DACs is that you either use a steep brickwall filter (with all associated problems), or don't filter and hope your amplifier and speaker can deal with the hight frequency components that are generated by the conversion process. No chipset can alter those basic premises.
Old 16th July 2012, 11:48 AM   #4815
tony399 is offline tony399  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

A quote from Bruno when I asked the same question;

'The NC400 input stage should be quite happy with a passive attenuator (that was why I did the discrete input stage).'

This was for an integrated design, driving interconnect cables with passive attenuators may not be so good.
Old 16th July 2012, 11:57 AM   #4816
diyAudio Member

Thanks Julf and tony, let's see if Bruno himself wants to chip in to clarify matters...
Old 16th July 2012, 12:52 PM   #4817
diyAudio Member

Default Implementation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony399 View Post
A quote from Bruno when I asked the same question;

'The NC400 input stage should be quite happy with a passive attenuator (that was why I did the discrete input stage).'

This was for an integrated design, driving interconnect cables with passive attenuators may not be so good.
Would be key using any passive. The best approach would likely be to put the attenuators in the nCore amp, with very short leads going to the modules, this way the impedance at the output of the attenuators should not be an issue. Additionally, using series attenuators (constant input impedance) should allow one to retain a relatively high input impedance to the amp, with good resistors there is really no downside to series attenuators. One would wonder if an attenuatior directly adjacent to an nCore module could be an antenna for picking up RF though... Mr Putzeys might have some advice on that account. Additionally, anytime one is using a passive, low output impedance of the source (and high current capabilities) will be desired, of course Mr Putzeys has stated his preference that all source components would be better off if they offered low output impedance anyway...
Old 17th July 2012, 04:12 PM   #4818
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrows View Post
Would be key using any passive. The best approach would likely be to put the attenuators in the nCore amp, with very short leads going to the modules, this way the impedance at the output of the attenuators should not be an issue. Additionally, using series attenuators (constant input impedance) should allow one to retain a relatively high input impedance to the amp, with good resistors there is really no downside to series attenuators. One would wonder if an attenuatior directly adjacent to an nCore module could be an antenna for picking up RF though... Mr Putzeys might have some advice on that account. Additionally, anytime one is using a passive, low output impedance of the source (and high current capabilities) will be desired, of course Mr Putzeys has stated his preference that all source components would be better off if they offered low output impedance anyway...

Well, there are transformer and autoformer based attenuators that might not have as much of an issue driving the ICs. I'd not want to put the attenuator too close to the module, 6" or so of lead length would seem to be optimal, and without connectors will not do much in terms of FR variation. The enclosure might need to be deepened in many cases for stepped attenuators... since they'll be 4 decks (balanced) or dual mono (2 decks per) with the caveat of needing to turn two knobs.
Old 17th July 2012, 04:35 PM   #4819
OllBoll is offline OllBoll  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Digital software based attenuation for the win =)

Good enough and very much the most simple solution
Old 17th July 2012, 04:59 PM   #4820
diyAudio Member

Default Agreed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OllBoll View Post
Digital software based attenuation for the win =)

Good enough and very much the most simple solution

For me as well... Actually, better than any transformer or resistor base attenuator technically. I use digital attenuation in the ESS chip, it operates at 48 bits, so there is no data loss even if one has 32 bit material (and considering an actual audio system will not be better than 19-20 bits of actual resolution anyway), and ESS claims that any quantisation noise is -170 dB or lower, so I hardly think that could be an issue.
I know there are "purists" who still think a digital volume control has "issues", but I cannot hear any. For me the biggest "issue" is getting a good match between DAC output stage and amp input stage-with the input impedance and the gain of the nCore, a good match is easy for me. Going amp direct beat out my Ayre K5-xeMP easily.

Hide this!Advertise here!