hypex ncore - Page 471 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd July 2012, 02:59 PM   #4701
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPa View Post
It would be an interesting comparison for you
The only advantages I see in SMPS's are their small volume and low weight (called "form factor" nowadays); that's why SMPS's are widely used, and it is for obvious reasons.
Apart from that the only fundamental difference is the frequency of operation.
Audio grade SMPS's operate at frequencies over 100 kHz, requiring some active circuitry (with the inherent dissipation); linear supplies operate at main frequencies and don't require active circuitry.This might make linear supplies more reliable long term, but high quality SMPS's should be OK in this regard too.
Please note I am speaking of unregulated supplies.
When you can expain why SMPS's are "better", I will certainly give them a try.
Until then I prefer linear supplies; they also prevent my preamp from moving from it's place when I turn my volume control...
Old 3rd July 2012, 03:02 PM   #4702
jtwrace is offline jtwrace  United States
diyAudio Member

I would love to see Hypex come out with some user adjustable SMPS's like the SMPS600.

Regulated and unregulated of course.

That would be sooo sweet!
Old 3rd July 2012, 05:21 PM   #4703
ChrisPa is offline ChrisPa  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieter t View Post
The only advantages I see in SMPS's are their small volume and low weight (called "form factor" nowadays); that's why SMPS's are widely used, and it is for obvious reasons.
Apart from that the only fundamental difference is the frequency of operation.
Audio grade SMPS's operate at frequencies over 100 kHz, requiring some active circuitry (with the inherent dissipation); linear supplies operate at main frequencies and don't require active circuitry.This might make linear supplies more reliable long term, but high quality SMPS's should be OK in this regard too.
Please note I am speaking of unregulated supplies.
When you can expain why SMPS's are "better", I will certainly give them a try.
Until then I prefer linear supplies; they also prevent my preamp from moving from it's place when I turn my volume control...
I don't think I need to explain anything.

Quote:
Sven,

I'd love to see you do a comparison with a linear supply in stead of the SMPS.
With linear supply I mean a really good one, which IMO is a low DCR power supply transformer and not a huge bank of capacitance (2 x 20 mF high quality low ESR caps should do).
Maybe your "twitchy" sound has to do with SMPS HF issues, and this comparison might get some more insight in the behaviour of different power supplies.
I can't get rid off the feeling that a "form factor" SMPS is not the best solution for an audiophile amplifier.
Earlier in the thread you asked/suggested that someone do an SMPS600/linear supply comparison, so I wondered what your observations were when you'd done the comparison
Old 3rd July 2012, 05:32 PM   #4704

Quote:
I don't think I need to explain anything.

Earlier in the thread you asked/suggested that someone do an SMPS600/linear supply comparison, so I wondered what your observations were when you'd done the comparison
Chris,
I did not compare power supplies; a serious comparison by one of the members is not to be expected I am afraid.
There might be (read well: might be) HF issues with SMPS's that had influence on sound (making it twitchy), that's why I asked if there had been a comparison with a linear supply, just to make sure if the sound was power supply related.
Old 3rd July 2012, 06:14 PM   #4705
diyAudio Member

It is somewhat remarkable that some of the people who've by now accepted the idea of a switching circuit actually processing the audio signal feel queasy about another one doing raw DC duty.
Old 3rd July 2012, 06:15 PM   #4706
jtwrace is offline jtwrace  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Putzeys View Post
It is somewhat remarkable that some of the people who've by now accepted the idea of a switching circuit actually processing the audio signal feel queasy about another one doing raw DC duty.
As noted above:

I would love to see Hypex come out with some user adjustable SMPS's like the SMPS600.

Regulated and unregulated of course.

That would be sooo sweet!

This would be for any component!
Old 3rd July 2012, 06:38 PM   #4707
ChrisPa is offline ChrisPa  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Chris,
I did not compare power supplies; a serious comparison by one of the members is not to be expected I am afraid.
Who would/should do a serious comparison & how would it be done?
And why are you afraid of it?

Quote:
There might be (read well: might be) HF issues with SMPS's that had influence on sound (making it twitchy), that's why I asked if there had been a comparison with a linear supply, just to make sure if the sound was power supply related.
I'd therefore have thought this was an ideal opportunity for you to determine for yourself
Old 3rd July 2012, 06:45 PM   #4708

Quote:
Who would/should do a serious comparison & how would it be done?
Well, maybe one of the members/NC400 owners might also be interested in a comparison and take the effort.
Old 3rd July 2012, 06:47 PM   #4709

Quote:
And why are you afraid of it?
Sorry, I am not afraid of a comparison, just curious.
It seems English is your native language but reading it properly a problem?
Old 3rd July 2012, 06:51 PM   #4710

Quote:
I'd therefore have thought this was an ideal opportunity for you to determine for yourself
I don't own Ncores myself, and when I had them I don't think a proper construction would give problems with twitchy or whatever sound.
I'd be more interested in regulated vs unregulated power supplies as current demand of class D and class A/B amplifiers depends on signal.

Hide this!Advertise here!