hypex ncore - Page 467 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th June 2012, 07:26 PM   #4661
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53mudg35 View Post
The reason I ask is that in the NC400 Figure 2: Preferred Connection diagram it appears that both the xlr 1 pin and the cable shielding are to be grounded to the chassis. Would theses chassis be appropriate.
Welcome aboard! That diagram applies to any enclosure made of metal (or any material that conducts electricity), so your choices should be OK
Old 30th June 2012, 10:00 PM   #4662
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Snickers-is
I would recommend you to put some metal behind the wooden front and rear panels to increase the shielding properties.
Old 30th June 2012, 10:31 PM   #4663
diyAudio Member

Chassis shielding is possibly a detriment, imo. Aluminum reacts with magnetic fields.
Old 1st July 2012, 02:29 AM   #4664
cab is offline cab
diyAudio Member

Especially when it is hat shaped and placed on one's head....
Old 1st July 2012, 03:33 AM   #4665
diyAudio Member

I believe the wood pieces are the sides of the chassis, nothing would be attached to the wood. I have been reading to try and gain a general electronics understanding so I wont kill myself or burn down the house. it is my understanding that copper & aluminum provide electrostatic shielding whereas steel and Mu Metal provide both electrostatic & magnetic shielding.
Old 1st July 2012, 06:45 AM   #4666
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53mudg35 View Post
I believe the wood pieces are the sides of the chassis, nothing would be attached to the wood. I have been reading to try and gain a general electronics understanding so I wont kill myself or burn down the house. it is my understanding that copper & aluminum provide electrostatic shielding whereas steel and Mu Metal provide both electrostatic & magnetic shielding.
Roughly true. The question is are you going to need it? A lot of people have been running their nCores on a tabletop without an enclosure and have had no issues with interference. Will you have other electronics stacked close to your amp(s)?
Old 1st July 2012, 06:53 AM   #4667
diyAudio Member

Bruno says most of the EMI is carried on the cabling anyway. A shield is therefore probably most effective in shielding the amp from EMI radiation, but likely impacts the amp's operation to some extent, probably small.
Old 1st July 2012, 05:35 PM   #4668
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Snickers-is
Aluminium will act as a magnetic shield for AC magnetic currents. It will do nothing to DC magnetic currents. A ferrite will reduce the EMI from leaking via the speaker cable. Some equipment is sensitive to EMI at certain frequencies, and the EMI from a class D amp is both pretty broad band and quite load dependent.
Old 1st July 2012, 06:11 PM   #4669
diyAudio Member

For shielding to be effective it's got to be really close to the source. Chassis make lousy shields because anything you might be trying to shield against has already coupled into the wiring inside the chassis. If you want to use the chassis as a shield you need to have feed-through filters on every piece of wire. But that's something you'd only do if there was a problem to begin with... The NC400 is pretty quiet so I'd just pick the chassis on aesthetical grounds.

@juhleren if I follow your reasoning you're proposing that placing a large inductance across the speaker somehow affects the signal in a good way? Before discounting the resistor hypothesis it's worth an experiment to add a small resistance in series with the amp and hear what it does.
Old 1st July 2012, 06:22 PM   #4670
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snickers-is View Post
It will do nothing to DC magnetic currents.
DC magnetic currents? And in what way will a static magnetic field influence *anything* apart from a compass needle? (OK, it might pre-bias some transformers, but is that really a factor to consider?)

Quote:
A ferrite will reduce the EMI from leaking via the speaker cable.
A ferrite on a speaker cable is a really bad idea.

Quote:
the EMI from a class D amp is both pretty broad band and quite load dependent.
Have you measured the EMI from a nCore?

Hide this!Advertise here!