hypex ncore - Page 463 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th June 2012, 06:52 PM   #4621
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matjans View Post
Strap 47k across the RCA input to provide DC path.

(rtfm! )
Indeed. Should have read the FM. My only defence is that that part was not in the first
revision of the data sheet
Old 29th June 2012, 08:14 AM   #4622
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julf View Post
Indeed. Should have read the FM. My only defence is that that part was not in the first
revision of the data sheet
We like to learn from other people's mistakes.
Old 29th June 2012, 09:07 AM   #4623
bhobba is offline bhobba  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys

I dodn't often post here but though you guys may be interested in a listening session I had with the Ncores.

An acquaintance out here in Aus where I am lent me some Ncores and a few hours ago popped them in my system with a NAD M51 as source and ML3 Reference as speakers. Here are some of my initial impressions.

Well how do they sound - clear, clean, pure and neutral - very neutral. *With the NAD 51 as source I heard the exact same setup with Mac 501's yesterday and know the sound of my NAKSA 100 very well. *First how do they compare to the Mac's - very well thank you very much. *Bass grip not quite as good - still pretty good mind you - but those Mac's have simply amazing bass grip. *They have a slightly harder sound with maybe a trace of glare - maybe - than the Mac's but the Mac's to me have a slighly tubey midrange and a slight veil - this doesn't have the veil - but have a slight hardness and etched character the Mac's lack and the midrange isn't quite as enjoyable. *The Mac's are better to listen to for long periods IMHO. *The Trafomatic totally clobers it for midrange divineness - but then again no amp I have heard touches it in that department - although the Arions come close. *It's not like the NAKSA which Hugh has voiced to sound really good for long periods - but is not the last word in neutrality - and is more the type of amp you go - ahh - that's nice when you hear it - this amp isn't. *Its more the type of amp you go - hmmm - exactly what character does it have and you have to listen to it for a while to lock onto it and notice a few things like the slight hardness etc. *How does it compare to the Arions? *I will see if I can do a direct comparison at some future date but most certainly a comparison with my aquantances that have heard the Arion's is on the cards. *My view is the Arions simply sound real - this amp sounds slighly hard, etched and contrived in comparison. *How does it compare to the NAD C4390DD - the NAD has greater slam but sort of sounds a bit thicker for want of a better word. *But overall fed with the NAD M51 I would say they are about equal - just slightly different.

I hope to, when I have someone to give me a hand, be able to rig it up through my QOL Completion stage so we can check it out against my Bybeed up PDX. *I will be taking it over to an acquaintance here in Aus, Rob's place, tomorrow for comparison against his Spectron on his Ambiance Ribbons.

I will also give it a go with my Playback Designs a bit later - it is extremely good with DSD having a very realistic natural sound.

Overall this is a very very good amp - up there with some of the better amps I have heard. *If you prefer a highly neutral and accurate sound and are not worried it may not be relaxing to listen to for long periods then it could be just your ticket.

Thanks
Bill
Old 29th June 2012, 09:09 AM   #4624
matjans is offline matjans  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to matjans
which is a vice in itself. Not too many suppliers do.

Anyway, any casework pictures to be shared? I'm still working towards getting a case machined, however other projects (mainly on my friends side) prohibit progress a bit.
Old 29th June 2012, 10:20 AM   #4625
matjans is offline matjans  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to matjans
*virtue (sic)
Old 29th June 2012, 11:48 AM   #4626
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Putzeys View Post
We like to learn from other people's mistakes.
In that case I am sure I can provide a lot opportunity to learn...
Old 29th June 2012, 01:48 PM   #4627
diyAudio Member

Thx Bill for the feedback.

Some background on why the NC400 sounds the way it does: it is always a dilemma whether an amp should be tuned for things like subjective bass control, sweet mids or not. One of the tricks a Mac does by design is to have a highish output impedance (because of the autoformer) which makes for a more liquid mid-range sound and then to add a subjective sense of bass control by allowing a slight THD rise in the top end. When things like those are really tastefully balanced, such an amp can really make life hard on a "straight wire" amp in a shootout. The signal actually comes out sounding nicer and more impressive than what went in. But on the other hand, I think that to make the greatest number of people happy, one can't afford to give an amp a sound of its own because the number of new fans is probably immediately offset by the number of people who don't like that particular tuning.

But it's tough to resist the occasional sonic touch-up. I can emulate the sound of pretty much any amp out there if I wanted. But so far I'm resisting. If ever I give in, it'll be obvious from the measurements and I hope someone calls me out on it...

Anyhow that's why I decided I actually wanted the NC400 to have this unvarnished, dead-pan delivery.
Old 29th June 2012, 02:33 PM   #4628
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Anyhow that's why I decided I actually wanted the NC400 to have this unvarnished, dead-pan delivery.
I'm very glad that you did...!!
Old 29th June 2012, 02:47 PM   #4629
jtwrace is offline jtwrace  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I can emulate the sound of pretty much any amp out there if I wanted.
I'm sure some of the tweakers or recording guys would love that. My Metric Halo LIO-8 has what they call "characters" for just this purpose. You want tube sound, select it and it really does sound like tubes. They have many different types too.

Quote:
I'm happy you did too but as noted above so many people would love that tool probably.
Old 29th June 2012, 02:53 PM   #4630
tony399 is offline tony399  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

This is my NCore build so far;
NCore top front.jpgNCore top rear close.jpgNCore top behind.jpgNCore bottom rear.jpg
It is temporarily rigged up as a power amplifier but will become an integrated.
The volume section will be a my own design pic controlled 32 step ‘balanced shunt attenuator’ with one relay per level (no combinations) as used in the preamp;
Preamp front high.jpgPreamp in rack powered.jpg
The stand alone preamp has buffer/gain stages based on TO99 op amps with my copy of Walt Jung’s Super Reg. The gain can be set with plug in resistors and is an equivalent design to the buffer front end of UCD, I was using it at 12db gain with four UCD180HG monos (with the on-board buffer stages by-passed) and at 0db gain more recently with the NCore. This buffer stage will not be necessary for the integrated NCore, Bruno has taken care of this.
As for sound quality the UCD180HGs perform exceptionally well bi-amping my KEF 205/2 speakers and were the best sounding amps I had heard in my set up until NCore..

Hide this!Advertise here!