hypex ncore - Page 449 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th June 2012, 09:01 AM   #4481
diyAudio Member

The SMPS400 is indeed a competent substitute for the SMPS600 if you're not planning to drive heavy loads and if you don't mind the extra idle losses. One tweaky detail is the use of chokes (on the 600) instead of ferrite beads which yields a small but measurable improvement of the distortion spectrum (high order harmonics are reduced from below -120dB to unmeasurable). The methods used to reduce CM noise on the SMPS400 and 600 are also different but they are equally good.

Last edited by Bruno Putzeys; 18th June 2012 at 09:07 AM.
Old 18th June 2012, 09:27 AM   #4482
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Putzeys View Post
The SMPS400 is indeed a competent substitute for the SMPS600 if you're not planning to drive heavy loads and if you don't mind the extra idle losses. One tweaky detail is the use of chokes (on the 600) instead of ferrite beads which yields a small but measurable improvement of the distortion spectrum (high order harmonics are reduced from below -120dB to unmeasurable). The methods used to reduce CM noise on the SMPS400 and 600 are also different but they are equally good.
Thanks again for the informative reply.

It does seem that the safe route (audio-wise) is to go for the smps600 though the price difference between the two supplies is quite stark.

chokes over ferrite does ring an interesting bell, though I guess that the price difference probably has more to do with the production numbers and economies of scale :-)

cheers,
Old 18th June 2012, 09:52 AM   #4483
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juhleren View Post
Thanks again for the informative reply.

It does seem that the safe route (audio-wise) is to go for the smps600 though the price difference between the two supplies is quite stark.

chokes over ferrite does ring an interesting bell, though I guess that the price difference probably has more to do with the production numbers and economies of scale :-)

cheers,
Old 18th June 2012, 05:18 PM   #4484
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianmac View Post
Perhaps some of those giving feedback of a heat issue may have fallen short on allowing adequate airflow through the case?
I have mine in alu boxes with no venting holes, and I've been using them since december 2011 with no problems at all. But then my ambient temperature never goes above 22 degrees Celcius. Both the NC400 and SMPS600 is mounted on the bottom alu plate. There is not much ariflow under the box either. In my opinion, this is nothing to worry about.
Old 18th June 2012, 09:46 PM   #4485
Ianmac is offline Ianmac  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pos View Post
That is what I intent to do. Could you please post pictures?
This link should take you to a picture of my UCD build
Hypex ClassD amplifiers

You will see two 3mm sections of the base plate have been milled at the Front panel and Rear panel. this is mirrored on the top plate so when used vertically there is free airflow.
The side panels have also a 2mm milled cut on their top so if the amp is used horizontally air will vent along their length.
If anyone has an issue with a ready built case it may be worthwhile trying a few washers as distance pieces on the screws holding /between panels to allow some airflow before resorting to metal bashing.

If you want detailed pictures of my NCore drop me your email via PM and I'll send them on.

Last edited by Ianmac; 18th June 2012 at 09:48 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 19th June 2012, 03:24 AM   #4486
diyAudio Member

Quote:
...my UCD build... ...You will see two 3mm sections of the base plate have been milled at the Front panel and Rear panel. this is mirrored on the top plate so when used vertically there is free airflow.
The side panels have also a 2mm milled cut on their top so if the amp is used horizontally air will vent along their length.
Nice work. You might twist the primaries and secondaries, though that looks like a PITA. Good job removing the anodizing near the screw holes. I think I would like to have similar slots but would bevel the cut sides so that inclement liquids would dribble away... Cheers
Old 19th June 2012, 06:55 AM   #4487
Ianmac is offline Ianmac  Scotland
diyAudio Member

The wiring was tidied up after testing and mains filters from the schaffner range fitted after some listening.
I have fitted the same to my NCore.

Whisky is now so expensive I dont spill it so didnt need to bevel
Cheers
Old 20th June 2012, 12:42 AM   #4488
diyAudio Member

Does anyone know what is the current requirement of the +/– 15V supplies?
Old 20th June 2012, 01:56 AM   #4489
diyAudio Member

I didn't put that very clearly. Does anyone know how much current the Ncore draws on its +/– 15V inputs? That's better.
Old 20th June 2012, 06:55 AM   #4490
pos is offline pos  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
You will see two 3mm sections of the base plate have been milled at the Front panel and Rear panel. this is mirrored on the top plate so when used vertically there is free airflow.
If anyone has an issue with a ready built case it may be worthwhile trying a few washers as distance pieces on the screws holding /between panels to allow some airflow before resorting to metal bashing.
Very nice design!
I like the idea of the washers, this is also what Chris Adams did:
NC400 Cooling

Hide this!Advertise here!