Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Audiolab CDQ8200 CD/DAC/Pre Amp

This is, unfortunately not the Designer's best work from his ex.Chinese Bosses ...IIRC it was rushed to Production with a few flaws :-(

I would class AUDIOLAB as (upper) Mid-Fi and there are better DACs out there to show off amps like these with low distortion
I am sure there are better DACs out there but my question is which Hypex NC.version would match best with the Audio lab.

While I have no reason to suspect the system you are suggesting wouldn't be excellent, I am just curious to hear what made you pick that specific DAC/preamp, what others you have compared it to (and how), and how you have verified that it is OK driving the non-buffered nc500?

I bought the DAC and it sounds excellent connected straight to the unbuffered inputs of the NC500. Only problem is not enough gain and current. It sounds phenomenal together with my buffers, but I have no volume control that way. Unless I use digital on the media player app. But for DSD, only HQplayer can do volume control, and it involves passing the signal through an extra layer of filtering, which degrades the sound. So I'm thinking analog volume control might be best.

The preamp board has current capabilities close to my buffers, so should drive them nicely. I have a preamp board on its way. I'll be trying it soon. I'll be comparing it with my buffers.

hypex ncore

I think its 4.0 volts. My current power amp has a sensitivity of 1.5 volts and it goes loud when my volume control is set at -30db. The volume control goes from -80 to +3db

For example my buffers can sink and source up to 200ma with still only 0.0005 THD, and are capable up to 26 DBa gain. The LM4562 used on the stock buffer board, craps out at 60ma.

It takes 13.46v to drive the amps buffer less to full output. The stock buffer board is set for 14.6 db of gain if it's not bypassed. Sounds like you would need to go through the buffer with your preamp.

For example my buffers can sink and source up to 200ma with still only 0.0005 THD, and are capable up to 26 DBa gain. The LM4562 used on the stock buffer board, craps out at 60ma.

It takes 13.46v to drive the amps buffer less to full output. The stock buffer board is set for 14.6 db of gain if it's not bypassed. Sounds like you would need to go through the buffer with your preamp.
So what is the voltage required on the LM4562 buffer board to drive it to full volume

hypex ncore

So what is the voltage required on the LM4562 buffer board to drive it to full volume

You would have no problem with the LM4562 buffer. Together with the buffer, my other DAC with 4.6v output drove the amps louder than they ever needed to go.

The only problem with that is your going through the LM4562 based buffer. Not near as transparent as a straight copper PCB trace. :)

Last edited:
You would have no problem with the LM4562 buffer. Together with the buffer, my other DAC with 4.6v output drove the amps louder than they ever needed to go.

The only problem with that is your going through the LM4562 based buffer. Not near as transparent as a straight copper PCB trace. :)

Thanks but still not sure if I should go for NC400 or NC500 irrespective of cost.

hypex ncore

Thanks but still not sure if I should go for NC400 or NC500 irrespective of cost.

If you must use that preamp, it would be personal taste that would determine what's better. The NC400 does have a better buffer. If you don't like the sound, it's your DAC, and preamps fault with the NC400.

But keep in mind, with the NC500, you can always bypass the buffer down the road if you decide to get a beefier pre.

If you must use that preamp, it would be personal taste that would determine what's better. The NC400 does have a better buffer. If you don't like the sound, it's your DAC, and preamps fault with the NC400.

But keep in mind, with the NC500, you can always bypass the buffer down the road if you decide to get a beefier pre.

How would you describe the sound of NC400 vs NC500 with standard onboard buffers ie what are the pros and cons.

How would you describe the sound of NC400 vs NC500 with standard onboard buffers ie what are the pros and cons.

The NC400's have no sound signature of their own. They sound exactly like the source, only amplified. The LM4562's maybe slightly warmer. But definitely some coloration. It's been a while now since I've heard the stock buffer stage.

With the input buffer modded with the Burson discrete opamp, sound was definitely warmer and nicer. Much better than the LM4562 IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.