hypex ncore - Page 433 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th June 2012, 11:42 AM   #4321
Simtu is offline Simtu  England
diyAudio Member

Finally finished build, tidied up wiring and sat down to do more listening;

Source is an Arcam Solo Neo (bought before upgrade itis set in) and speakers are PMC fb1s. Home made RCAs to XLRs using Gotham GAC3 cable. I originally decided to build the ncores because I needed a more powerful amp to drive the PMCs. I had around 1k to spend and decided that these would be way better than any ready built consumer power amp at that price point. And they are!!

Theres probably not much point in my going into lots of detail about the improvements to SQ given the limiting factor of my front end. Everybody else has already been through the thesaurus and used up all the adjectives but these amps really are good. I always thought that my speakers had more to give and my god they do. Transmission line designs are said to have a transparent midrange given the control afforded the driver by the mass of air inside the tube.

Suffice to say, bass is now tight and controlled, mids are sooo detailed and clear, highs are crisp and with no harshness. Soundstage is wide and deep (listening to Sonny Rollins - Saxophone Collosus as I type, sounds absolutely amazing)

Next upgrade will be separate preamp/DAC (thinking Benchmark HDR???), using 24/48khz Toslink output of CD/Fm/DAB/IPOD from the Arcam. Any news of Hypex modules? Any other suggestions would appreciated.

Only concern with Ncores is about heat. Asked about this a couple of weeks back - only one reply. Even on standby, these units get hot - far more so than the class AB Arcam. Are they safe to leave switched on?? All my gear goes inside a cabinet to keep out of sight of the nippers (and wife) and I havent dared to close the door in case they overheat. Am I being overly cautious or is there nothing to worry about??

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0677[1].jpg (773.1 KB, 593 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0675[1].jpg (781.5 KB, 537 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0676[1].jpg (789.9 KB, 493 views)
Old 5th June 2012, 12:00 PM   #4322
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mr_push_pull
old building (no earthing except in the kitchen and bathroom): laptop (not in the kitched or bathroom) connected to TV (laptop ground earthed due to TV cable) and me touching USB cable and DAC chassis (uses SMPS) at the same time. not nice.
Old 5th June 2012, 12:48 PM   #4323
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mr_push_pull
@Simtu,

nice, clean build.
one thing I'd do differently is drop the double output wires, I'm sure you'd gain more by closely twisting 2 wires together than adopting the latest audiophile wiring fashion.
Old 5th June 2012, 01:31 PM   #4324
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simtu View Post
Only concern with Ncores is about heat. Asked about this a couple of weeks back - only one reply. Even on standby, these units get hot - far more so than the class AB Arcam. Are they safe to leave switched on?? All my gear goes inside a cabinet to keep out of sight of the nippers (and wife) and I havent dared to close the door in case they overheat. Am I being overly cautious or is there nothing to worry about??

Thanks
IMO this is something to consider.
Heat is the enemy of some parts, electrolytic capacitors especially.
When checking the NC400 and SMPS600 datasheets total dissipation at idle should be some 10 watts (one amp), and it seems to get hotter.
More passive cooling than normally required for class D amps might be required?
Maybe Bruno can comment.
Old 5th June 2012, 01:48 PM   #4325
jtwrace is offline jtwrace  United States
diyAudio Member

He mentioned it here: hypex ncore

and here hypex ncore and more places if you look hard enough. Bottome line, Bruno doesn't seemed concerned otherwise he would make it more of a point in the data sheet on online. I think so at least. :-)

Last edited by jtwrace; 5th June 2012 at 02:04 PM.
Old 5th June 2012, 02:12 PM   #4326

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwrace View Post
He mentioned it here: hypex ncore

and here hypex ncore and more places if you look hard enough. Bottome line, Bruno doesn't seemed concerned otherwise he would make it more of a point in the data sheet on online. I think so at least. :-)
I know, but user reports indicate that there is more dissipation than the datasheets suggest.
Maybe some parts (output coils) get hot?
Old 5th June 2012, 02:19 PM   #4327
jtwrace is offline jtwrace  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieter t View Post
I know, but user reports indicate that there is more dissipation than the datasheets suggest.
Maybe some parts (output coils) get hot?
Strange. I thought my units are actually cooler then I thought they would be. I could certainly do a temp rise test as I've done on my Class A amps but really don't think it's needed here.

How long does it take for your amp to heat up?

Maybe Bruno will chime in.
Old 5th June 2012, 03:13 PM   #4328
diyAudio Member

The output inductor definitely gets pretty warm, I think mine were around 150F but I'd need to measure again. The heat sinks on the SMPS600 are the only things on mine that get very warm but I can't measure them accurately with an IR temp gauge since they are not black and that is what the IR device is calibrated to. Now were did I put that themocouple probe???
Old 5th June 2012, 03:32 PM   #4329

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgalusha View Post
....The heat sinks on the SMPS600 are the only things on mine that get very warm but I can't measure them accurately with an IR temp gauge since they are not black and that is what the IR device is calibrated to. Now were did I put that themocouple probe???
There are electrolytics on the SMPS600 "covered" by the heatsinks; does not seem good for life expectancy, even if the caps are 105 degrees types.
Old 5th June 2012, 03:44 PM   #4330
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieter t View Post
There are electrolytics on the SMPS600 "covered" by the heatsinks; does not seem good for life expectancy, even if the caps are 105 degrees types.
I tend to agree and have decided my chassis are getting some ventilation holes.

On the upside, the caps are below the heat sink and hot air rises, provided of course there is somewhere for it to go...

Hide this!Advertise here!