hypex ncore - Page 422 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th May 2012, 04:00 PM   #4211
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simtu View Post
Sound quality through my PMC speakers is superb by the way, and a clear upgrade from the Arcam - not suprising really! When I have done some more listening, I will post a more in depth review.
I look forward to that, I too have PMC's but have yet to take the ncore plunge...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simtu View Post
On a separate note, can anyone suggest a good DIY dac/preamp to go with the ncore? I understand there may be a Hypex unit in the pipeline. If so does anyone have anymore info?
I would recommend the AMB audio Gamma 2 DAC. If you're good at soldering you can build one yourself if you get/have got all the right tools. It's extremely sensitive to the PSU used so a bit of trial and error might be in order. You'll need to pair it with some kind of pre-amp for the best results. Sound quality - it's almost as good as if not on a par with my Primare SP32 (£3-4K of DAC/Processor). Once I've got round to making a proper PSU, I think it may well sound better. All subjective of course but my opinions are shared with 2 other unbiased individuals
Old 29th May 2012, 12:53 AM   #4212
diyAudio Member

Brought them to life this morning - nice - yes I know the signal cable could be shortened but while I'm still experimenting, I've left the length on the cables just in case I change configuration. Unlikely though as they sound great and run cool.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 29th May 2012, 04:33 AM   #4213
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajst2duk View Post
Brought them to life this morning - nice - yes I know the signal cable could be shortened but while I'm still experimenting, I've left the length on the cables just in case I change configuration. Unlikely though as they sound great and run cool.
is this case from ebay? i think i have the same ones, nice and tight fit with these cases
Old 29th May 2012, 06:44 AM   #4214
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufokillerz View Post
is this case from ebay? i think i have the same ones, nice and tight fit with these cases
Yep it is - its a very tight fit but seems to operate well and stay ok heat wise. The speaker terminals are the correct spacing for Eichmann cable pods if anyone was interested, I will be changing mine when I get the motivation.
Old 29th May 2012, 12:32 PM   #4215
diyAudio Member

Hi ajst2duk:
Please, could you post some more pics, especially from the back of the units?
Thanks in advance!

Rad

P.S.: BTW, your amps look nice! ;-)
Old 29th May 2012, 04:49 PM   #4216
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurDK View Post
Thanks for your input Kjartan :-)

Some years ago I build some LC Audio 2.3 dual mono Class D amps, which had an unbelievable control in the bottom, but sounded a little bit harsh in the upper mids. But still I liked them.

Later I build a NewClassD amp, with the high end discrete opamps in the input stage. That one sounded much better, and I think I would have kept it, if it wasnt for a not too well designed crossover in my ScanSpeak based speakers.

After that I had a Bewitch 6550 tube amp, which sounded good but had too little power to drive my speakers.

Right now I use a Musical Fidelity A3 for the side systems (1", 6 1/2" and 10" SS), and a Hypex 4.0 for the bottom (12" SS).

It sounds quite good, but I suppose youre allways on the hunt for something better ;-)

The Hypex substituted another plateamp, and gave a substantial better control.

Thanks
Arthur.
Arthur, I have a MF A3 right now, which I like, but I am thinking of either an ncore, ucd400, or LC audio 2.3SE. Any advice?
Old 29th May 2012, 06:49 PM   #4217
diyAudio Member

Quote:
What is this red thingy on your power cord (I presume this is the power cord) ?
Old 29th May 2012, 08:11 PM   #4218
niekos is offline niekos  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I guess it is an IEC plug like this one on ebay: Oyaide C-079 IEC-Buchse C 079 Oyaide C-079 IEC-Buchse Netz Kaltgetäte Buchse C 079 / Original Oyaide | eBay
Old 30th May 2012, 12:01 AM   #4219
yetis is offline yetis  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
On the power supply, why is the yellow bit wrapped in yellow paper? Did it come this way? Mine isn't wrapped. Is this a 2.0 upgrade?
Old 30th May 2012, 06:51 AM   #4220
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetis View Post
On the power supply, why is the yellow bit wrapped in yellow paper? Did it come this way? Mine isn't wrapped. Is this a 2.0 upgrade?
That is right. It's an upgrade. Mine has it too so I asked Hypex. It is extra isolation.

Hide this!Advertise here!