hypex ncore - Page 418 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th May 2012, 04:44 PM   #4171
jmbulg is offline jmbulg  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juhleren View Post
Any other experiences with heat dissipation from ncore and/or smps600 out there?
My ncores are at most lukewarm (mounted on a thick alu plate), whereas my Ucd400 in a small alu box get rather hot.
Old 25th May 2012, 04:50 PM   #4172
diyAudio Member

mine are SMPS and NC400 in a single enclosure made of medium thickness AL. PSU on all the time, no problem with heat dissipation. Ran over night with approx 2/3 power wideband signal (pseudo-random signal train) into 8 ohm load and the enclosure was slightly warm, output inductor was the hottest thing, but that not bad. Nothing too hot to touch and actually quite a bit less.

Most of the dissipation does appear to be from the SMPS.

Alan
Old 25th May 2012, 04:52 PM   #4173
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbulg View Post
My ncores are at most lukewarm (mounted on a thick alu plate), whereas my Ucd400 in a small alu box get rather hot.
Thanks, I guess that both are powered by similar SMPS type supplies?
Old 25th May 2012, 04:54 PM   #4174
diyAudio Member

Generally true, but all these effects can be minimised by a clever design. Personally I like aluminium better because its easier to work with than steel.
Old 25th May 2012, 04:56 PM   #4175
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltzingbear View Post
mine are SMPS and NC400 in a single enclosure made of medium thickness AL. PSU on all the time, no problem with heat dissipation. Ran over night with approx 2/3 power wideband signal (pseudo-random signal train) into 8 ohm load and the enclosure was slightly warm, output inductor was the hottest thing, but that not bad. Nothing too hot to touch and actually quite a bit less.

Most of the dissipation does appear to be from the SMPS.

Alan
Thanks Alan, the SMPS would also be my guess to cause most dissipation at idle.
Old 25th May 2012, 05:01 PM   #4176
jmbulg is offline jmbulg  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Thanks, I guess that both are powered by similar SMPS type supplies?
yes both with their dedicated hypex SMPS
Old 25th May 2012, 08:13 PM   #4177
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The general claim for using alu cases for audio equipment is due to that it is supposed to be non-magnetic and thereby shouldn´t add any induction to circuitry and cables inside and around it. Other good qualities are far better heat conduction than steel and good mechanical stability.
If you are concerned with inductive effects from the proximity of signal carrying conductors, whether wires or circuit board traces, to the case (and I know of one highly respected amp designer, Yves Bernard Andre of YBA, who is concerned about this) then aluminum is as bad as steel, due to the fact that induced emf in it will produce a magnetic field which will then influence your (again, not magnetic) conductors and thus, contaminate the signal.

Here's a demonstration which shows how aluminium can react to magnetism:
Magnet Brakes its own fall - YouTube
Old 25th May 2012, 08:30 PM   #4178
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Dawkins View Post
If you are concerned with inductive effects from the proximity of signal carrying conductors, whether wires or circuit board traces, to the case (and I know of one highly respected amp designer, Yves Bernard Andre of YBA, who is concerned about this) then aluminum is as bad as steel, due to the fact that induced emf in it will produce a magnetic field which will then influence your (again, not magnetic) conductors and thus, contaminate the signal.

Here's a demonstration which shows how aluminium can react to magnetism:
Magnet Brakes its own fall - YouTube
Great input Russel. It appears to be the same effect as when using alu VC former in drivers. They typically induce a lot of mechanical breaking reading as rather low Qms and thus works as a dynamic break to the coil movements.

I´m not sure that the impact will be entirely similar to that of steel, though.
But you are completely right the alu also does influence electrical signals.

Maybe brass is better -also tougher
I also wondered how a ceramic enclosure might work...
Old 25th May 2012, 09:24 PM   #4179
pos is offline pos  Europe
diyAudio Member

I just quickly plugged one module on a wooden board ans it is working fine, but I wonder if the temperature I get is normal: when idle the aluminium plate of the nc400 gets hot after some time. I can still keep my hand on it for as long as I want, but barely: it looks really hot for only 4W.
What is your experience?
Old 25th May 2012, 09:52 PM   #4180
ChrisPa is offline ChrisPa  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pos View Post
I just quickly plugged one module on a wooden board ans it is working fine, but I wonder if the temperature I get is normal: when idle the aluminium plate of the nc400 gets hot after some time. I can still keep my hand on it for as long as I want, but barely: it looks really hot for only 4W.
What is your experience?
buy a 4W low energy lightbulb, stick your hand on it, and compare - don't fuss about it

Hide this!Advertise here!