hypex ncore - Page 417 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th May 2012, 06:59 AM   #4161
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Lord View Post
I'd like to hear others' thoughts on cables for the ncores...
When it comes to cables, I'm not a believer..... so its plain 6 mm2 installation wire to the speakers. Signal cables are from the time I actually did believe, so they are teflon-insulated silver stuff. Balanced of course.....

Old 25th May 2012, 07:13 AM   #4162
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouroboros View Post
At the first glance I thought that was an illustration by Kay Nielsen. I don't know the work of John Bauer.
Bauer was a Swedish artist best known for his trolls, gnomes and fairies, and not much else
Old 25th May 2012, 07:21 AM   #4163
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StigErik View Post
When it comes to cables, I'm not a believer..... so its plain 6 mm2 installation wire to the speakers.
I agree - the thing with the nCores is that you want to make sure the cable has a low enough resistance and can carry enough current - you don't want to waste the capabilities of the nCore on the cable instead of the speaker.

As I am multiamping, I am using a 4 x 4mm from Van Damme.
Old 25th May 2012, 07:31 AM   #4164
diyAudio Member

Sam,
I've put in the two way ATCs on standard Sound Anchors stands before, they are very solid and sturdy. No need for the custom built ones. fill the bodies with sand if you must. But get the standard adjustable studio model, then you can fit it to your room in situ. Its a very nice sounding system. Even better I bet when powered by the Ncore. I was using Bryston 4B SST's on them.

coupling beneath the speaker and using spikes are good ideas, but that will get you 99% or more without committing yourself to one position.

wire? big and short. I, like Stig (or Julf), don't believe in wire, (isn't this the wireless age?) Even though I can sometimes hear a difference between different juju wires, I attribute it to mucking up something, at least for speakers. If a speaker/amp combination relys on a certain wire with non standard specifications to sound good, its broken.

Alan Garren
Old 25th May 2012, 09:04 AM   #4165
pos is offline pos  Europe
diyAudio Member

I received my amps ((4) nc400 and (2) smps600 for biamping) and am now thinking about enclosures.
I read someone here (was it Sam Lord?) saying that steel panels should be avoided, or at least cable runs should be isolated from them.

Cheap enclosuresd are typically made with aluminium fronts and steel panels:
Boitiers économiques - Audiophonics - Câbles, Amplificateurs et Accessoires DIY

Should these be avoided in favor of all-aluminium ones?

I would like the cheapest enclosure I can get as I don't care for design and it is meant to be stuck on the rear of a wooden box anyway (à la plate amp)
Old 25th May 2012, 03:30 PM   #4166
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pos View Post
I read someone here (was it Sam Lord?) saying that steel panels should be avoided, or at least cable runs should be isolated from them.
Can't remember anything about steel panels - curious about what the reason would be. OK, different metals have differing abilities to isolate magnetic fields, but to me it sounds like a bit of typical audiophile superstition.
Old 25th May 2012, 03:35 PM   #4167
diyAudio Member

isolate magnetic fields

What I remember from my time at the HTS (B.sc EE for non Dutch members) is that you need a ferro metal for that. Not sure why or how it would affect the sound quality of a N core amp??? I would guestimate it doesn't matter at all...

Last edited by Mark.Clappers; 25th May 2012 at 03:39 PM.
Old 25th May 2012, 03:43 PM   #4168
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark.Clappers View Post
What I remember from my time at the HTS (B.sc EE for non Dutch members) is that you need a ferro metal for that. Not sure why or how it would affect the sound quality of a N core amp??? I would guestimate it doesn't matter at all...
I agree - but my EE studies (Helsinki University of Technology) were 30 years ago, and my memory isn't what it never was. Anyway, pretty sure a box of mu-metal would be pretty expensive...
Old 25th May 2012, 04:24 PM   #4169
pos is offline pos  Europe
diyAudio Member

found it:
hypex ncore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Lord View Post
Your cases look good and are aluminum. If anyone uses steel cases they should keep the wires and all parts away from the steel. Better yet, don't get steel.
Old 25th May 2012, 04:37 PM   #4170
diyAudio Member

The general claim for using alu cases for audio equipment is due to that it is supposed to be non-magnetic and thereby shouldn´t add any induction to circuitry and cables inside and around it. Other good qualities are far better heat conduction than steel and good mechanical stability. The later is typically due to far greater plate thickness too.

Whether any of these apply for the ncore is of course a different matter.

The ncore amp that I have heard was in a thin steel case (if I got it correctly) and I did notice that the case got more than luke warm. So if ncores generally waste a lot of heat when idling heat conduction could be a practical concern...

That said, the amp was powered by a smps600 so that might very well have been the actual cause for the heat dissipation to the case.

Any other experiences with heat dissipation from ncore and/or smps600 out there?

Hide this!Advertise here!