hypex ncore - Page 414 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd May 2012, 08:38 AM   #4131
diyAudio Member

Well.... I've noticed the opposite so it might just be a matter of personal preference?
Old 22nd May 2012, 09:11 AM   #4132
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StigErik View Post
Well.... I've noticed the opposite so it might just be a matter of personal preference?
And the type and quality of the cable that is used.
- My guess is that it is most significant with inductive cables and probably less so with capacitive cables. (the later I generally avoid so have less experience with them)

The technical reasons fro why some cables improve low end performance with increased lengths is not a scientifically settled debate, so we are unfortunately left with more or less "qualified" guessing here.

My humble guess is that it could be a product of increased cable parameters such as L and C which together increase the power factor of the cable (C*L -if i remember correctly). This essentially means that the cable stores more energy which again likely relates to how this energy is released and thus influence the transmitted signal. More energy typically gives slower (or prolonged) release of the energy which could be one reason for why longer often cables sound quite different in balance from top to bottom although their theoretical roll off shouldn´t be audible below 20kHz.

Another thought is that there is a relation between the sheer length of the conductors in the cable and the progression of the electrical "wave fronts" (-the signal). A somewhat similar effect to that of larger rooms having better articulated lows than smaller rooms - The dimensions of the room condition the progression of acoustic wave fronts and room pressures where smaller dimensions (lengths between the boundaries of the room) means that the room effects are moved up in frequency.

Humble guessing and listening only, - no measurements - so please carry on if that is what you look for
Old 22nd May 2012, 09:51 AM   #4133
pos is offline pos  Europe
diyAudio Member

Just received my shipping info! (ordered the 15th of this month)
Can't wait
Old 22nd May 2012, 10:23 AM   #4134
diyAudio Member

Quote:
No. I have flat response to 20 Hz, and that is good enough.

I did try to use closed box subs with dipoles, but it just didnt sound right. Dipoles and boxed speakers are very hard to integrate seamlessly, as they sound different and their behaviour in the room is very different.

I also think 20hz is adequate and will probably build some dipole subs for my application as well. Need to search for images of your system, I have to see that.
Old 22nd May 2012, 10:30 AM   #4135
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pos View Post
Just received my shipping info! (ordered the 15th of this month)
Can't wait
Same here - ordered early-April
Old 22nd May 2012, 10:48 AM   #4136
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juhleren View Post
Humble guessing and listening only, - no measurements - so please carry on if that is what you look for
OK
Old 22nd May 2012, 02:06 PM   #4137
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immelman View Post
I also think 20hz is adequate and will probably build some dipole subs for my application as well. Need to search for images of your system, I have to see that.
My open baffle dipole with Beyma TPL-150

A couple here, with Ncore amps!
Its not a thing of beauty though....
Old 22nd May 2012, 03:51 PM   #4138
jtwrace is offline jtwrace  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erlend Sæterdal View Post
I would like to see which speakers and placement of them for the people who praise the NCORE .
It looks a bit better now as this was a year ago but you get the idea...raw no smoothing.
Attached Images
File Type: png Fully System_3-13-11.png (44.2 KB, 521 views)
Old 22nd May 2012, 07:52 PM   #4139
diyAudio Member

Quote:
My open baffle dipole with Beyma TPL-150

A couple here, with Ncore amps!
Its not a thing of beauty though....

No, very impressive! And with your comments, puts a stamp on the notion that to achieve ultra low OB bass in a home setting is nearly impossible. I didn't believe it before. Thanks.
Old 22nd May 2012, 09:43 PM   #4140
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immelman View Post
No, very impressive! And with your comments, puts a stamp on the notion that to achieve ultra low OB bass in a home setting is nearly impossible. I didn't believe it before. Thanks.
I have been experimenting with OB and OB bass recently.
Mid-high is definitely OB, 98 dB efficient with TPL150 tweeter.
At the end I just don't get fully in terms with OB bass (bandwidth is OK, miniDSP equalized); for the majority of music, especially small scale, it works great with all the benefits of OB sound, the room interface, and the lack of enclosure coloration.
But I also like larger scale (symphonic) music, and in that respect I too often miss that very last bit of weight; the feeling of "pressure" at bass attacks as can be experienced in the concert hall is just not quite there with the OB bass.
For me it works OK for 80%, but I want that last bit too; it looks like I will extend OB down as much as possible, but will try a low tuned bass reflex for the lowest two octaves, up to 80 Hz or so.

Hide this!Advertise here!