hypex ncore - Page 413 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd May 2012, 12:36 AM   #4121
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post
Right, I forgot about that factor, but it is also true that if the room is increasing bass it is also raising Q.
In a corner it is 9 db. I would like to see which speakers and placement of them for the people who praise the NCORE .

And once again : I think the N Core is a very good amp but as all other Klass D amps the bass is not for me. I like tight bass nevertheless . 0,1 ohm at the output and it is ok.
Old 22nd May 2012, 01:32 AM   #4122
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erlend Sæterdal View Post
I like tight bass nevertheless . 0,1 ohm at the output and it is ok.
Do you mean that maximum Zout of the amp should be 0,1 Ohms for good bass? Or is this a different parameter? Thanks.
Old 22nd May 2012, 01:43 AM   #4123
diyAudio Member

Quote:
In a corner it is 9 db. I would like to see which speakers and placement of them for the people who praise the NCORE .

And once again : I think the N Core is a very good amp but as all other Klass D amps the bass is not for me. I like tight bass nevertheless . 0,1 ohm at the output and it is ok.
put a 0.1 ohm resistor on the output. Problem solved
Old 22nd May 2012, 06:30 AM   #4124
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I think the N Core is a very good amp but as all other Klass D amps the bass is not for me.
I love categorial absolutes like that. But I have to ask - as you have decided class D is not for you, and you knew from the start that nCore is a class D amp, why are you reading and participating in this thread?

Quote:
I like tight bass nevertheless . 0,1 ohm at the output and it is ok.
Right. In what parallel universe does increasing amp output impedance and decreasing damping factor make bass "tighter"? Maybe you should just try with longer speaker cables? 50 m might give you *really* tight bass....
Old 22nd May 2012, 06:51 AM   #4125
diyAudio Member

Right. In what parallel universe does increasing amp output impedance and decreasing damping factor make bass "tighter"? Maybe you should just try with longer speaker cables? 50 m might give you *really* tight bass....[/QUOTE]

Actually longer cable runs often improve low end articulation, so your advice might be better than it originally was intended to be
-It of course depends on the cable and the rest of the system for sure.
MIT mimics this effect by building in a bunch of filter slopes which individual sets of electrical parameters imitate different cable lengths´ articulation points...
Old 22nd May 2012, 07:06 AM   #4126
diyAudio Member

True - roomgain may flatten the response, but then a flat response is not something that will sound good. Most listeners prefer a response that is sloping downwards 10 dB or more from 20 to 20 kHz.

In my opinion, bass response should be flat anechoic from the speaker.
Old 22nd May 2012, 07:14 AM   #4127
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Lord View Post
It took me a while to count them, but your signature line has one pair too many of dipole woofers...

Question, do you bi- or quad-wire? I've always thought independent runs for each driver to be good for parallel drivers. Are all the woofers parallel, or do you run them series-parallel?

And now I wish to discuss the subject of bass, clearly a tender one for you. Isn't it time to increase the LF output of your system?

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, that's about three SQUARE METERS of diaphragm.

In America, such systems only appear in trucks. The logic of that, however, is a topic for our next appointment.

Hey...are you playing the 1812 Overture now? My house is shaking!

Ch-ch..e..e..rszz
I almost lost count of them woofers myself.

I run four woofers on each NC400, wired in parallell. The resulting impedance is roughly 2 ohms. Wiring is separate for each driver, call it quad-wiring of you want. I use 6mm2 wires, and they are less than a meter long, since the amp is placed inside the woofer H-baffles.

The famous 1812 on Telarc is a killer, even for my system. Being dipole, it simply can't reproduce those 6 Hz cannons. No way. It even struggles with 20 Hz. Yes, I have 3 sq meters of woofer, but subsonic bass with dipoles is almost impossible. That is the truth, sadly. But then the quality of the bass we can get with dipoles is unmatched.
Old 22nd May 2012, 08:04 AM   #4128
diyAudio Member

Do you use some large vented subs for below 20hz?
Old 22nd May 2012, 08:18 AM   #4129
diyAudio Member

No. I have flat response to 20 Hz, and that is good enough.

I did try to use closed box subs with dipoles, but it just didnt sound right. Dipoles and boxed speakers are very hard to integrate seamlessly, as they sound different and their behaviour in the room is very different.
Old 22nd May 2012, 08:32 AM   #4130
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juhleren View Post
Actually longer cable runs often improve low end articulation
I haven't noticed that happening - what would be causing it?

Hide this!Advertise here!