hypex ncore - Page 406 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th May 2012, 10:57 PM   #4051
diyAudio Member

Has anyone built a 5 channel version of the ncore? I was wondering how you would wire up the power supplies.
Old 18th May 2012, 09:04 AM   #4052
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curdaddy View Post
Has anyone built a 5 channel version of the ncore? I was wondering how you would wire up the power supplies.
Not 5 channels, but I have done 2 x 4 channels. Each pair of nc400's sharing one smps600 each, with a pretty straightforward T-split of the cabling.
Old 19th May 2012, 12:36 AM   #4053
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curdaddy View Post
Hi, I am building one right now, 5 x nCore with 5 x SMPS. I wire them individualy to a splitter and from there to a Softstart. I consider to use a second Softstart because of the 6 A limitation.
Old 19th May 2012, 03:12 AM   #4054
HFGuy is offline HFGuy  Canada
diyAudio Member

So what ever happened to the folks working on some nice custom cases for the ncore ?
Old 19th May 2012, 07:59 AM   #4055
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioschipper View Post
Hi, I am building one right now, 5 x nCore with 5 x SMPS. I wire them individualy to a splitter and from there to a Softstart. I consider to use a second Softstart because of the 6 A limitation.
I can see a softstart makes sense with a big toroidal transformer, but does it really do anything useful with a SMPS?
Old 19th May 2012, 08:16 AM   #4056
diyAudio Member

It might. The inrush current is fairy high when the mains side capacitors are charged. I have six SMPS600 powering up at the same time, and the lights in my room really go dim when I power it up.
Old 19th May 2012, 08:47 AM   #4057
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StigErik View Post
It might. The inrush current is fairy high when the mains side capacitors are charged. I have six SMPS600 powering up at the same time, and the lights in my room really go dim when I power it up.
What do you think of a second one?
Old 19th May 2012, 08:57 AM   #4058
niekos is offline niekos  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default Intermittent sound and shut down eventually

I have received my two sets of n-core 400 and smps 600 last week, and assembled them this week.
One of them is working pefectly, but the other one worked for just a brief moment. There was sound, but is was intermittent, every 1 sec it was interupted. After some time, there was a click of the smps and since it has been clicking so far (every 2 sec; no lights on nc 400). The SMPS disconnected and powerup just clikcs once, so seems ok.
So it seems it is in some sort of protection mode? DC I suppose?
How do I clear this error state?
I read some threads about not well calibrated dc in and out output and applying 3v to pin 1 and 2 (what does this do exaclty?).
Can anyone share the instructions how to calibrate the DC setting (if that would help to solve the problem)?
I already contacted hypex, but no response yet (it is weekend, so I guess it will be next week).
Can't wait before I have two working n-cores!

Any tips/suggestions what I can do? Thanks in advance!
Old 19th May 2012, 09:57 AM   #4059
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioschipper View Post
What do you think of a second one?
Two softstarts in series? Both will probably have the same turn-on delay, so the effect will be zip.
Old 19th May 2012, 10:08 AM   #4060
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StigErik View Post
Wouldn't a simple delay circuit that turns the SMPSs on in sequence be better? Not sure what happens with a SMPS when you limit the input current with a resistor....

Hide this!Advertise here!