Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2012, 07:22 PM   #4011
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by pieter t View Post
Mmmm I am Dutch and we like pudding too
Wouldn't be surprised when Bruno, who is half Dutch () likes pudding too.
But only the Brits call any dessert a pudding
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2012, 07:29 PM   #4012
Account disabled at member's request
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrows View Post
It would be very interesting if someone who has the capability could measure the SMPS 600 under realistic load conditions, and then do the same for a well built linear supply. I would love to see how the SMPS 600 tracks varying load needs, and what its noise spectrum looks like under a real world load, and then be able to compare that with a linear supply under the same conditions.
Pretty odd that the same issue is under discussion at the Wire Amp thread, where after a good bench test of AP2's SMPS the guys there seem to condemn linear power supplies because these impair sound quality because of amp output voltage sag under transient loads. The fact that normal efficiency domestic loudspeakers suffer quite a bit more from dynamic compression than a well designed amplifier is not relevant anymore apparently
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2012, 08:15 PM   #4013
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julf View Post
But only the Brits call any dessert a pudding
If it measures like a pudding it must be a pudding - and you therefore have to like it, unless you are crazy and have developed a use of your taste buds and have the strange thing called a taste.
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2012, 08:17 PM   #4014
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by pieter t View Post
Pretty odd that the same issue is under discussion at the Wire Amp thread, where after a good bench test of AP2's SMPS the guys there seem to condemn linear power supplies because these impair sound quality because of amp output voltage sag under transient loads. The fact that normal efficiency domestic loudspeakers suffer quite a bit more from dynamic compression than a well designed amplifier is not relevant anymore apparently
When was that ever relevant?
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2012, 08:29 PM   #4015
ro9397 is offline ro9397  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: No. Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simtu View Post
Are you sure?? I ordered mine end March for wk 18 delivery. I have now been put back twice without an explanation. Still hoping for a delivery this week but still no news. Wouldn't mind so much if Hypex didnt take a 100% upfront payment.
This is a classic "chicken-egg" affair.

Hypex' current business/marketing plan is very simple. Hypex fill confirmed, fully prepaid orders.

The sole alternative is to predict with unknown and unknowable accuracy "anticipated" or "expected" orders. In the latter case, every amp manufactures with investor money and said amp may or may not find an end user home.

In either case above, it is impossible to manufacture amps at the exact rate equal to end user purchase rate. Hypex either has back orders to fill or amps sitting on a shelf only eating up floor space and investor money, which space and time must reflect in end user price paid.

Did you want to pay about $1500/pair and wait, or $2000 per pair with no wait. I'll take the former.

Which do you think is a better business plan for all concerned?

Most or all of us would like life different than it is.

The world's most desired products are not readily available to purchase new, at least not at consistent known prices. Ferrari, hand made instruments take up to many years (one classical guitar maker has a 12 year lead time). That's life.
__________________
James
"Television is the poor man's whiskey." Russel Baker

Last edited by ro9397; 16th May 2012 at 08:31 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2012, 08:37 PM   #4016
Account disabled at member's request
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juhleren View Post
When was that ever relevant?
As long as you are aware of issues on dynamic compression, but when you're not you should not bother
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2012, 08:39 PM   #4017
ro9397 is offline ro9397  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: No. Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by pieter t View Post
Pretty odd that the same issue is under discussion at the Wire Amp thread, where after a good bench test of AP2's SMPS the guys there seem to condemn linear power supplies because these impair sound quality because of amp output voltage sag under transient loads. The fact that normal efficiency domestic loudspeakers suffer quite a bit more from dynamic compression than a well designed amplifier is not relevant anymore apparently

Good point. Reminds me of the sheer lunacy of conversations about "fast" vs. "slow" woofers when bass timing is about 10,000 x more dependent on modal effects, as long as all the bass systems being compared are properly tuned. Similar to: 8" woofer "faster" than a 12" woofer...which is like suggesting a thinner low-E string on a guitar would be "quicker" and hence "better". Insanity almost?

But back to your point. What is approximate minimum speaker sensitivity to avoid audible thermal compression?
__________________
James
"Television is the poor man's whiskey." Russel Baker
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2012, 09:12 PM   #4018
Account disabled at member's request
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ro9397 View Post
But back to your point. What is approximate minimum speaker sensitivity to avoid audible thermal compression?
Compression is a complex phenomenon; difficult to illustrate with numbers (even our hearing system has built in "protection" to compress sound when necessary).
At the other thread someone came up with a modern 98 dB efficient 18 inch woofer which specifies only 1.8 dB compression at its 800 watt maximum power level (seems not too easy to measure anyway IMO).
More realistic (lower efficiency; smaller) domestic systems will have higher rates of dynamic compression, and a good quality amplifier will not be the limiting factor in this regard IMO.
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2012, 10:08 PM   #4019
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyv View Post
With bi-amping you could have a NC400 dedicated to the bass driver.
From my experience getting rid of the external crossover does wonders for true-ribbon Maggies.

I would think this is the best way to use two NC400 with true-ribbon Maggies, instead of bridging the two-amps and then going through a cross-over.
From today I know that 1 NC400 + SMPS600 per channel on 3.6R (modified passive X-over) works perfectly! I think the Maggies will blow up before the NCores will clip... (but I am not sure on this ) Either way, for me it's loud enough. Even when you consider you can listen quite loud for a long time without any "listening fatigue" with those ams.

Perhaps it sounds a bit boring, but this amp is amazingly good. (and I have heard a lot of amps) Before hearing them I thought of some comparison tests with my Marantz SM-11S1 (which is not a bad amp), but after listening to them for 5 hours now, I don't want to go back....

P.S. After reading some "horror stories" I was a bit afraid to get into trouble with those amps, but I have to say that they worked perfectly from the first time I have powered them up. I am using balanced cabling to my (AudioNote DAC4.1X) DAC.

Last edited by Mark Verhoeven; 16th May 2012 at 10:11 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2012, 10:20 PM   #4020
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by pieter t View Post
Compression is a complex phenomenon; difficult to illustrate with numbers (even our hearing system has built in "protection" to compress sound when necessary).
At the other thread someone came up with a modern 98 dB efficient 18 inch woofer which specifies only 1.8 dB compression at its 800 watt maximum power level (seems not too easy to measure anyway IMO).
More realistic (lower efficiency; smaller) domestic systems will have higher rates of dynamic compression, and a good quality amplifier will not be the limiting factor in this regard IMO.
The Question is whether that means that one necessarily masks the other.

As you say compression is a very complex phenomenon
- Maybe exactly that thought should be taken into consideration.

Compression of speakers and compression of amps are probably such different creatures that they shouldn´t be compared without any proper consideration

cheers,
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hypex problem, who can help Hansms Class D 9 18th August 2013 06:49 AM
Hypex steveww Class D 14 18th November 2010 01:44 PM
Question for those who have tried hypex smps with hypex modules avian Class D 12 3rd March 2009 09:30 AM
Hypex UcD 180AD + signal wires, Power Supply ST, Hypex Transformer TR100A c10h12n2 Swap Meet 7 7th July 2007 03:55 PM
FS: Hypex UcD 400/180AD, hypex toroid Archmage Swap Meet 4 14th November 2006 04:23 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 06:58 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2