hypex ncore - Page 391 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2012, 05:13 PM   #3901
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghs View Post
Hallo Roger,

Which speakers do you use?

Jerry
I'm using 4* XTZ 99.38 MKii (Link: XTZ 99.38 MKII - XTZ | Sound in balance) as front and rear speakers and one XTZ 99.36 MKii (Link: 99.36 MKII Piano Black - XTZ | Sound in balance) as a center speaker.

No problem for the NCore's...
  Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2012, 06:12 PM   #3902
ro9397 is offline ro9397  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: No. Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by earflappin View Post
Yetis, I would refer you to look at Figure 2 on page 12 of the NC400 data sheet. The preferred connection is for NAMPON (and XLR pin 1) to be tied to chassis ground. On my NC400's I wired NAMPON directly to XLR pin 1 as I don't have mine in chassis yet and they worked flawlessly. Good luck.
earflappin,
Your posts helped me decide to order...many thanks. I ordered one SMPS600 per amp, three channels in pure analog Trinaural System.

My geographic area (N. Utah) has extremely little RFI issues, gated single-story-above-grade pure residential, no commercial nearby. Built 2007, dedicated circuit, dead quiet, two concrete boundaries in 3000cf dedicated symmetrical room.

I'm screwing Ncore to a chunk of wood and selecting chassis after I A-B longer IC/shorter speaker cable vs. the opposite.

Questions:

We have three cats not overly concerned with my audio gear, but I must temporarily cover the Ncore amp and PS. I plan to neatly secure cardboard around the wood platform and Ncore components. Comments about minimum clearance or holes/slits to vent heat?

Items related to heat: Remember there's three channels, not two. I listen to rock and large orchestra at live levels.

James Bongiorno Trinaural Processor in front of multi-channel analog preamp has 2nd order @ 80 Hz active high-pass crossover. Subwoofer system is five piece 1kW distributed array, 4th order @ 70 Hz. Main speakers: two stand mount monitors per channel in proprietary ambiance/mode cancelling array. True sensitivity about 88 dB. Main speaker load: minimum impedance @ 200 Hz, flat nominal >600 Hz. User selects main speaker impedance by wiring the two monitors either series or parallel: 16 Ohms nominal/10.8 Ohms minimum...or 4 Ohms nominal/2.7 Ohms minimum.

16 Ohms is difficult voltage but easy current and more musical distortion components. 4 Ohms is easy voltage but difficult current and less musical distortion components.

YBA 120W and Naksa 100W preferred 16 Ohms, Linn Majik Chakra 50W preferred 4 Ohms (as expected).

Which load do you predict Ncore will prefer? Tossup?

RFI:

I want to audition Ncore in other locations with worse RFI issues, such as San Francisco Bay Area with its Sutro Tower, etc. Any comments re. full metal shield in such venue? Purely for aesthetics I still consider a wood chassis (bamboo in particular), which lacks RFI shielding unless I add metal foil.
__________________
James
"Television is the poor man's whiskey." Russel Baker
  Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2012, 06:35 PM   #3903
ghs is offline ghs
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerSch View Post
I'm using 4* XTZ 99.38 MKii (Link: XTZ 99.38 MKII - XTZ | Sound in balance) as front and rear speakers and one XTZ 99.36 MKii (Link: 99.36 MKII Piano Black - XTZ | Sound in balance) as a center speaker.

No problem for the NCore's...
Roger,
Nice speakers, but maggies with 85db sensitivity aks for more.
Considering to bridge Ncore's.
Do you or anyone else have experience with that?

Jerry
  Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2012, 07:00 PM   #3904
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Portland. Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ro9397 View Post

Comments about minimum clearance or holes/slits to vent heat?

Which load do you predict Ncore will prefer? Tossup?
loose cardboard box cover won't care, but certainly will help keep the cats off. Perhaps a nice banana box top, they are quite nice. Or maybe cantaloupe.
heat is pretty minimal so just about anything will work.

the amp is rated and the graphs show very good performance at 2 ohms, much in keeping with the rest of the load range. Your load being above 2 ohms at minimum should perform well. This has the potentially useful direct coupling between the amp and each speaker instead of in series, making better use of the high damping factor.

Of course, this is DIY, so try both.

Alan
  Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2012, 07:23 PM   #3905
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Portland. Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghs View Post
Nice speakers, but maggies with 85db sensitivity aks for more.
Considering to bridge Ncore's.
Do you or anyone else have experience with that?
I don't think anyone has said they have run out of headroom with a single amp yet with any speaker. Different configurations such as bi amping and such have other factors that are being addressed than headroom.

Would love to have people try it with their difficult load speakers and report back. Seriously that's a lot of power, which holds up till it clips. I don't expect current clipping with almost any speaker. There are a few that have horrible load lines, but that's just criminal.

I think that perhaps the maggies would clip before the amp would anyway. They don't play all that loud without clipping.

Do a measurement of your current amp with the max loudness, see what the actual peak level you are listening to is. Then you can judge the power level that you may want. You will need a true peak reading meter with hold, such as the Fluke 189, 289 or equivalent.

As the load is well within current specs we don't expect clipping there, so we would be comparing the voltage capabilities. The power supply is nominally +/-65V. If your peaks are over that you may want more power, remember you are trading off current drive for voltage drive when bridging amps.

All the systems I have tried my pair in have gotten to REALLY LOUD without any clipping being apparent. Louder than I would want to listen at, and I do like an occasional rock and roll experience. Room volume will be more of a factor than anything else.

Alan
  Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2012, 09:04 PM   #3906
Goophy is offline Goophy  Norway
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
I put mine up for sale this weekend.
Finally got my new speakers, and 80% of my music sounded like ****.

The flaws are revealed way too easy and it's impossible to avoid paying attention to hard compression, limiting and musical/studio flaws.

They sound awesome on extremely good recordings though.

Guess I can't make the compromise to clean up my music collection.
  Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2012, 09:38 PM   #3907
ghs is offline ghs
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Thanks for your thoughts.
It's not all about clipping, but how the amp controles the speaker.
More specific about the control on the lower bass. ICE amps/class D in comparison with class A/B seems to be good at it.
Magnepan itsself allways uses high current amps(1000 watts or more).
The low distorsion of Ncore is a plus.

Jerry
  Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2012, 06:38 AM   #3908
Julf is online now Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghs View Post
Magnepan itsself allways uses high current amps(1000 watts or more).
The nCore is a high current amp compared to most other amps I have seen. I don't think you need to worry about bridging unless you want to play at a stadium.
  Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2012, 07:00 AM   #3909
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Portland. Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghs View Post
Thanks for your thoughts.
It's not all about clipping, but how the amp controles the speaker.
More specific about the control on the lower bass. ICE amps/class D in comparison with class A/B seems to be good at it.
Magnepan itsself allways uses high current amps(1000 watts or more).
The low distorsion of Ncore is a plus.

Jerry
the Ncore is unlike any other amp I have heard or seen measurements on, when I talk about clipping, I am doing that because it doesn't loose control or change tonal texture before then. That is amazing. I have not heard that on any other amp. I have been in professional audio since 1980 in both broadcast and music industry support for the last 18 years or so. I have heard many great amps and many (untruthful) gorgeous amps. This is the most honest amp I have heard.

Right now I am using them on my alnico Tannoy HPD12s. not a truthful system, but very fun. I'll switch back to my "hirez" speakers when I put my room back together.

If you are using 1kW amps for maggies, I guessing that you are looking for voltage gain, so a measurement would be in order.

Alan
  Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2012, 07:31 AM   #3910
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltzingbear View Post
I don't think anyone has said they have run out of headroom with a single amp yet with any speaker. Different configurations such as bi amping and such have other factors that are being addressed than headroom.

Would love to have people try it with their difficult load speakers and report back. Seriously that's a lot of power, which holds up till it clips. I don't expect current clipping with almost any speaker. There are a few that have horrible load lines, but that's just criminal.

I think that perhaps the maggies would clip before the amp would anyway. They don't play all that loud without clipping.

Do a measurement of your current amp with the max loudness, see what the actual peak level you are listening to is. Then you can judge the power level that you may want. You will need a true peak reading meter with hold, such as the Fluke 189, 289 or equivalent.

As the load is well within current specs we don't expect clipping there, so we would be comparing the voltage capabilities. The power supply is nominally +/-65V. If your peaks are over that you may want more power, remember you are trading off current drive for voltage drive when bridging amps.

All the systems I have tried my pair in have gotten to REALLY LOUD without any clipping being apparent. Louder than I would want to listen at, and I do like an occasional rock and roll experience. Room volume will be more of a factor than anything else.

Alan
You play rock and Roll but have you not tried with some really dynamic material ? Like John Leif Saga Symfoni ?
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hypex problem, who can help Hansms Class D 9 18th August 2013 06:49 AM
Hypex steveww Class D 14 18th November 2010 01:44 PM
Question for those who have tried hypex smps with hypex modules avian Class D 12 3rd March 2009 09:30 AM
Hypex UcD 180AD + signal wires, Power Supply ST, Hypex Transformer TR100A c10h12n2 Swap Meet 7 7th July 2007 03:55 PM
FS: Hypex UcD 400/180AD, hypex toroid Archmage Swap Meet 4 14th November 2006 04:23 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 03:09 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2