Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Sure! What I hear is a fact for me :)

So you do acknowledge the distinction between a subjective opinion and a recognized and/or verified fact.

See, you need to sort out the perspective in your statements...

"you do acknowledge the distinction between a subjective opinion" - to this absolutely YES

For ME "and/or verified fact" it's the same - for someone else or a group, this might be something else.

"A and B sound different to me" - again - this I can judge myself and feel most often secure with my analysis.

"I verified that A and B actually sound different" - this I leave for the "group" or some external party to judge.

My verification is my hearing - nothing else. Maybe you need to measure the"cabinet" to feel secure.

But yes - I do measure things sometimes but thats for guidance - ear has final saying.

//

Last edited:

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
There is a perceived fact and there is a clinical fact. Sometime these match, sometimes they don't. One might think that an amplifier which measures a lot of zeros should sound wonderful but its not always the case. So what do you want to do - tell yourself that the many zero amp must wonderful and keep on listening to it even if you don't like it or seek other solutions?

Ive seen the line illusion perviously to this occasion.

NAD new Master series amplifiers use Ncore modules, based on NC400.
M22 Stereo Power Amplifier - NAD Electronics

However, they have tweaked them to deliver more power.

We have our own nCore module developed in close co-operation with Hypex. It is based on the 400 not the 1200, but this is not a qualitative difference it only affects power output. We can do this because we will build and sell a lot of units. The 1200 was developed primarily for the pro market where huge power is required.

In the Hypex 400 module continuous power is 200W @8 and 400W @4. In our implementation it is 250W @ 8/4 controlled by Erik Edvardsen’s precision clipper circuit. The benefit of this approach is the ability to offer much more short term or dynamic power where we have 350W @8 and 600W @4. This makes the power in actual use seem greater than the spec – in typical NAD tradition!

NAD Masters Series M22 - Hypex nCore for the rest of us | Digital Audio Review by John Darko

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Before we connected my nCore 400 to a pair of MBL, for pure security, and I haven't done it myself, I mesured DC on the terminals...

2,1V

Confirming by connection a cheaper speaker there is indeed a plop.

What gives? Is this even possible with the checks that seem to go on at startup...

//

OEM spec for NC400 power output is not "continuous" but rather "one third duty cycle;" also spec depends on power supply current per NC400 (ditto minimum safe load impedance also depends on power supply current).

I have never seen any independent verified test spec for NC400 "continuous" and would be curious to know the spec, just for curiosity (with PS current stated per NC400....Mike Galusha at Audio Circle might have posted continuous power). In all my use of NC400 I never heard one clip in domestic use.

Bruno states, and I tend to agree, that 1/3rd duty cycle is more useful for domestic audio vs. continuous rating. I asked for comment on this subject from a friend with whom I do business who is successful speaker designer for domestic, pro sound, and MI (music instrument). He clearly and specifically stated 1/3rd duty cycle is fail for pro sound spec, where continuous spec is required and 1/3rd duty cycle would tend to overheat and fail the application's minimum required power needs. IIRC he did not comment on 1/3rd duty cycle for domestic application, but he did specifically state pro sound application requires continuous rating spec. I inferred, possibly incorrectly, that 1/3rd duty cycle might be OK for domestic application, and might even be more useful vs. continuous rating.

I saw and heard two Bridged NC400/SMPS1200 with shorted outputs for about 30 seconds, with absolutely no damage not even a blown fuse! Possibly the most bomb proof amp extant! Anxious to hear of any other personal experience seeing two amps shorted outputs without damage, each amp making 1200W @ 2 Ohm, safe to 1 Ohm (don't try that at home!)

Every single listener/buyer requires only his own two ears and pocket book to decide what product is worth buying and which ones to ignore. Anyone relying on another person's opinion or "facts" to purchase something is fail. Once upon a time were "facts" like the sun revolves around the earth, for which IIRC Copernicus was jailed for "denying." (This is why it is always pure fail to label someone with whom one disagrees as a "denier;" one could eventually attach "health and well being" to any "belief system" one desires to elevate above some other belief system...some governments now debate whether to jail deniers of global warming.)

Last edited:
Before we connected my nCore 400 to a pair of MBL, for pure security, and I haven't done it myself, I mesured DC on the terminals...

2,1V

Confirming by connection a cheaper speaker there is indeed a plop.

Doesn't sound right! I agree with ChrisPa - check if shorting the input changes anything. I also suggest measuring that the nc400 gets all the power supply voltages OK.

I inferred, possibly incorrectly, that 1/3rd duty cycle might be OK for domestic application, and might even be more useful vs. continuous rating.

Continuous rating really doesn't matter in a domestic application. How often do you keep playing at full blast four hours? If you are running a dance club or a heavy metal concert, then yes, but in your home you (or at least I) don't.

Once upon a time were "facts" like the sun revolves around the earth, for which IIRC Copernicus was jailed for "denying." (This is why it is always pure fail to label someone with whom one disagrees as a "denier;" one could eventually attach "health and well being" to any "belief system" one desires to elevate above some other belief system...some governments now debate whether to jail deniers of global warming.)
I don't think Copernicus was ever jailed. Anyway, people had known that the earth rotated around the sun since at least since the Greeks, but that knowledge was unfortunately suppressed in the Dark Ages through religious/political "I know what I see" dogma.

What Copernicus and Galileo brought with them was not just a heliocentric astronomical model, but much more importantly the beginnings of the scientific model - where theories are formulated based on verified, empirical facts, and continuously verified objectively.

See also the Galileo Gambit.

This will be my first own build. Does this layout for the rear panel look ok for a Ncore stereo amp or should I change something regards to avoiding crossing cables etc.?

I'm planning to use the 1NGXA388N Modushop case (330 mm w and 80 mm h):
modushop.biz

Attachments

• Ncore stereo amp.jpg
    Ncore stereo amp.jpg
    320 KB · Views: 336
So you want both speakons and separate speaker terminals? If so, I would maybe place them as close to each other as possible to minimize cable runs - but I don't think it is a major concern.
Yes. I prefer speakon but I want both in case.

Does the placement of XLR or anything else matter in regards to avoiding crossing cables on the inside? I've mainly thought about the cables on the outside when drawing this.

If anyone has a recommendation for an easy solution (without hum/noise) for a trigger, I'm all ears. Planning to use with Hypex DLCP. The reason why I have two triggers is on order to daisy chain with another amp with trigger. That means less trigger outputs from the DLCP.

Status
Not open for further replies.