hypex ncore - Page 38 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd September 2011, 01:37 AM   #371
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyv View Post
If someone comes up with a DSP implementation, I sure would like to try that.
It doesn't need to be a single individual coming up with a DSP implementation - how about a team effort? Seeing there are so many blocks in the overall design if interested people divided them up amongst themselves, then a digital solution could gradually come together. Kind of 'open source' DSP.

Here's an article which could help set the ball rolling:

Which filters are noisier analog or digital? part 2

Anyone who knows how to use LTSpice can now play with digital filters using Kendall's delay-line model. Who's up for it?
Old 2nd September 2011, 02:24 AM   #372
diyAudio Member

Default Let's not hijack the thread

Let's not hijack the thread which is about NCore.

The team work to implement various Linkwitz design in DSP is already on-going here: MiniDSP as Linkwitz Orion ASP

And general Hypex DSP discussion is here: Hypex UcD AS2.100

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post
It doesn't need to be a single individual coming up with a DSP implementation - how about a team effort? Seeing there are so many blocks in the overall design if interested people divided them up amongst themselves, then a digital solution could gradually come together. Kind of 'open source' DSP.

Here's an article which could help set the ball rolling:

Which filters are noisier analog or digital? part 2

Anyone who knows how to use LTSpice can now play with digital filters using Kendall's delay-line model. Who's up for it?
Old 2nd September 2011, 02:37 AM   #373
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Yeah I will start a new thread in the Digital Line section to see if there's any interest in open source DSP. The MiniDSP is entirely proprietary in my understanding so not really relevant.

<edit> New thread here: Open Source DSP XOs

Last edited by abraxalito; 2nd September 2011 at 02:47 AM.
Old 2nd September 2011, 08:17 AM   #374
Tymen is offline Tymen  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default Linkwitz Orion with NCore amps

Quote:
Originally Posted by plutten View Post
just like tymen (that i totally agree with about dsp vs. asp) i am about to build
a linkwitz speaker, the speaker i planing to build is the pheonix.

this is were ncore comes in, i need 6 or maybe 8 channels to drive the loudspeakers.
Hi Plutten,
just like you I'm waiting for the new long throw Seas woofers and ASP circuit boards to be available at the end of September.

Hopefully the DIY NCore amps will be ready within a few months. Any dates yet?

The Orion-NCore combo has the potential to be a really nice neutral, reference system.
If I can afford 6 to 8 channels of NC400 that is
... still way too early to start an Orion/NCore group buy
Old 2nd September 2011, 09:29 AM   #375
plutten is offline plutten  Sweden
diyAudio Member

yes its to early start a group buy, but my question still remain

is ncore as bright as the abletec.

maybe Bruno can give me an answer on this question
when a designer says that his product is neutral it doesnt say me anything
every designer that i can think of says that there product is neutral and true to the
source, but they dont sound the same!

so what it comes down to is comparison between different amp, loudspeaker and so on.
Old 2nd September 2011, 10:36 AM   #376
diyAudio Member

Plutten: I will be able to try the Ayre (from Mats) against the abletec's here in due time. Here the abletec's are not flat at all, I have at least a 5m depthcontrast if the recording allows for it. I can on the other hand agree that they can be a bit lean in the bassregion even if they have a very good dynamic drive.

I'm quoting Stig-Erik as I think that he might as well had writen about the Abletec's, and I'm also wondering if the ncore would be described as "lean/clean" or "powerfull" in the bassregion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StigErik View Post
I also have UcD180HG with HxR and SMPS180. It's simply the best amp I've ever heard. Its just clean, clean, clean. No smearing or artificial "warmth", just pure hifi. At least thats what I hear. But it doesnt forgive errors other places in the audio chain.

If the new Ncore stuff is even more pure sounding, then I just GOT TO have it when it arrives!!!
Old 4th September 2011, 10:04 AM   #377
diyAudio Member

When an amplifier strongly under/overemphasizes certain frequency ranges, it suggests that distortion isn't sufficiently independent of frequency. It could also point toward EMC problems or subtle flaws in the small signal path. For instance, you could have the choice between either building the modulator differentially or single-ended with a diff amp in front. You'd have to do tests like drive a lot of current through the ground plane to spot the difference (which is what the power stage does anyway) but measured as a black box the added distortion would not be so obvious. It takes serious fanaticism to keep an eye on all such supposedly negligible effects which in sum can amount to quite some otherwise unexplicable colouration. The trouble is that they're hard to discover by trial and error. You have to see them coming before they happen.
Old 4th September 2011, 06:57 PM   #378
tiki is offline tiki  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hello,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Putzeys View Post
... You have to see them coming before they happen.
really in temporal order? That seems to be tricky, indeed.
I believe, I know what you mean.
Old 5th September 2011, 06:45 PM   #379
tengizk is offline tengizk  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Bruno. Are there any special condsiderations on using UcD/NCore for driving electrostatic panels? Especially the ones with the absolute value of impedance dropping below 1 ohm at higher frequences?
Old 6th September 2011, 02:32 PM   #380
diyAudio Member

@tiki I see your point: you see a problem coming, you solve it and then it fails to come, falsifying your predictive ability
This is the usual problem with prophesies of doom which go away when action is taken. One shining example is the Y2K bug. This is now held up just about everywhere as an example of a spurious prediction of doom. Excuse me? It is the prime example of a prediction duly heeded. Thousands of programmers have sifted through billions of lines of code to change 2-digit year fields to 4-digit and to look for time difference calculations with a wraparound problem. The whole effort started years before 2000 and has worked splendidly. Sorry for the OT, but it's an old hobby horse of mine.

@Tengizk
Electrostats work fine. The only time you get into trouble is when you clip. The culprit is the step-up transformer. Usually the waveform isn't symmetrical so one side clips before the other. Chopping off positive peaks causes negative net DC and vice versa. This happens with any amp. The only thing that makes the problem more severe with UcD and Ncore is the low output impedance which makes the amp insist on driving that DC voltage into an inductance (which has near zero DC resistance). The transformer goes into saturation straight away and the amp protects.
Other amps can have the same problem but most will simply give in gracefully. It's the downside to trying to make output impedance as low as possible.

Hide this!Advertise here!