hypex ncore - Page 371 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th April 2012, 05:03 PM   #3701
Koifarm is offline Koifarm  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juhleren View Post
My guess is that it does. And I therefore think it is plausible that a linear supply sounds different. For the price of two smps600s one can definitely build a really serious linear supply with money to spare...
I like to have for every ampchannel to have its own power supply.
Old 19th April 2012, 05:37 PM   #3702
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koifarm View Post
I like to have for every ampchannel to have its own power supply.
Exactly! /and with smps600s

But maybe a combination with a smps400 per ncore for their power stage and then some kind of home brewed Rcore based front end supply
/besides cheaper it might even be the best from the two worlds.
Old 19th April 2012, 08:40 PM   #3703
Koifarm is offline Koifarm  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

For the frontend i think you can still use a smps because i saw the hxr modules on the Ncore. As i said before with them there was no difference between linear and smps supply, when testing with the UCD.

But you can only tell when trying.

I can not wait to get my hands on a pair of Ncores to try it out. Two times they where sold out before i could order and i do not like to preorder. I have bad experience with preorder and prepayment. So i just wait.

Last edited by Koifarm; 19th April 2012 at 08:42 PM.
Old 20th April 2012, 06:11 AM   #3704
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juhleren View Post
It has been reported that a dedicated smps600 for each ncore sounds better than two ncores sharing one smps600 though some claim that it should not matter for technical reasons.
Who has claimed that, and where, and has it been more than just a subjective opinion? It is clearly stated in the specs that sharing a smps will limit the continuous power output of the amps, so there could be differences when playing extremely loud, but I can't see why there would be a difference at realistic listening levels.
Old 20th April 2012, 06:18 AM   #3705
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Now i only read about ncore with smps, why?.
Well, as you might have read, some people have tried linear supplies and have had problems.

To me it feels a bit silly to go for a class D amp, and then negate many of the benefits (efficiency, light weight, small size, high power capacity) by a massive, bulky, inefficient (and unregulated) linear supply because you don't like switchjing technology (and that is exactly what class D is).

Bruno designed the nc400 and smps600 to work together, and if you didn't think Bruno knows what he is doing, you probably wouldn't have gotten the nc400 in the first place.

But this is of course diyaudio, so I realize that for many people doing things differently and in an individual way is more important than doing it right...
Old 20th April 2012, 06:21 AM   #3706
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I can not wait to get my hands on a pair of Ncores to try it out. Two times they where sold out before i could order and i do not like to preorder. I have bad experience with preorder and prepayment. So i just wait.
I don't know for sure, but it appears that hypex only makes the nc400 in batches based on pre-orders, so that might never have them "in stock", to be ordered off the shelf. But that is pure speculation on my part.
Old 20th April 2012, 07:18 AM   #3707
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerSch View Post
Look to their website "Official release dates for the V8 and V12 are TBD but are anticipated to be 4th quarter of 2009." and it is still not on their website I presume it is a kind of Vapor ware...

I only found the web site after someone told me how good the sound was. Then again, comparing any PS to batteries is just unfair, they offer unmatchable qualities. And a high efficiency amp is where batteries can really be practical.
Old 20th April 2012, 07:21 AM   #3708
ds23man is offline ds23man  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I have bad experience with preorder and prepayment. So i just wait.
Is this remark made in general or is it related to previous dealings with Hypex????
Old 20th April 2012, 07:29 AM   #3709
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julf View Post
Well, as you might have read, some people have tried linear supplies and have had problems.

To me it feels a bit silly to go for a class D amp, and then negate many of the benefits (efficiency, light weight, small size, high power capacity) by a massive, bulky, inefficient (and unregulated) linear supply because you don't like switchjing technology (and that is exactly what class D is).

Bruno designed the nc400 and smps600 to work together, and if you didn't think Bruno knows what he is doing, you probably wouldn't have gotten the nc400 in the first place.

But this is of course diyaudio, so I realize that for many people doing things differently and in an individual way is more important than doing it right...
Well sometime in a couple of weeks we will do a competition between. SMPS and linear supply. My personal believe is that the linear is way better !
Old 20th April 2012, 07:35 AM   #3710
diyAudio Member

If my NCores and SMPS's are finally in my posession (it takes forever... almost 2 month after order and prepayment now and still waiting...) I will listen to it. I have a very good power amp to compare it to. If it doesn't convince me in this way, I will try it with decent linear supply to check for differences in sound.

Hide this!Advertise here!