hypex ncore - Page 366 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th April 2012, 04:32 PM   #3651
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbbby View Post
Hey guys, ever since I fixed my DC problem and have been spending more time listening i've noticed another problem (probably not ncore related). It seems like I have a lot of static noise on my tweeters. It is fairly audible and changes depending how much volume I have set on the pre
The fact that it depends on the volume on the preamp makes it pretty likely it's not a ncore issue. So do you actually have a preamp between your DAC and the ncores, or is it a DAC with built-in preamp. How much do you usually have to turn up the volume for normal listening? Is the "static" really white noise (hiss), or more like good old-fashioned radio static (so more spiking/sparking than pure white noise)?
Old 14th April 2012, 04:40 PM   #3652
robbbby is offline robbbby  Canada
diyAudio Member

No preamp here. Dac has built in volume control if you choose to use it, or can be bypassed to use a regular pre.

It's what you describe as white noise, very consistent sound, not random and spikey.
Old 14th April 2012, 04:52 PM   #3653
diyAudio Member

Quote:
No preamp here. Dac has built in volume control if you choose to use it, or can be bypassed to use a regular pre.
Seems it has a combination of digital and analog volume control. Are you bypassing the analog control or not? What level is your "normal" listening volume? Do you still get the hiss if you mute the DAC?
Old 14th April 2012, 05:04 PM   #3654
diyAudio Member

that dac has 3 control options, bypass for when you have a real pre to control volume, then is has either analog or digital attenuation. I've tried both and get the same.
What do you mean by "mute" the dac?
Old 14th April 2012, 05:09 PM   #3655
diyAudio Member

Quote:
What do you mean by "mute" the dac?
Seems one of the programmable buttons can be assigned to be a "mute" button.

I am also interested in how much you have to turn up the volume for "normal" listening levels.
Old 14th April 2012, 05:17 PM   #3656
diyAudio Member

Ah, ok. Just programmed a button to mute. Static still there when muted, but music still plays very faintly through the tweeter when muted.
Not sure how the volume display on the dac relates to true full scale dB, but usually just normal on the couch listening is around -46. Obviously that varies depending on the recording but I would say that is about average.
Old 14th April 2012, 05:31 PM   #3657
avr300 is offline avr300  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Pretty easy to rule out the NC's. Switch off your DAC - and power up the NC.

Still white noise ?
Old 14th April 2012, 05:42 PM   #3658
diyAudio Member

No. I was never blaming the ncores, knew it had nothing to do with them, was just posting to get some advice.
Old 14th April 2012, 05:43 PM   #3659
diyAudio Member

[QUOTE=robbbby;2985113]Ah, ok. Just programmed a button to mute. Static still there when muted, but music still plays very faintly through the tweeter when muted.[QUOTE]

Hmm. Either the mute is badly designed, or designed that way on purpose.

Quote:
Not sure how the volume display on the dac relates to true full scale dB, but usually just normal on the couch listening is around -46. Obviously that varies depending on the recording but I would say that is about average.
OK, a possible issue is that the nc400 is fairly sensitive (or has a fair bit of gain, depending on how you want to look at it). Great in that works even with weak, unbalanced consumer grade signals, but a proper balanced XLR stage is much "hotter", so you are actually giving away a fair bit of signal-to-noise ratio by having the volume turned down that low. If your normal listening level is somewhere around 75 dB, your "full volume" would be 121 dB.... I assume you haven't ever tried playing at full volume?

Sounds you could easily lower the gain by 10 dB (lowering the HF hiss by the same amount) and instead turn up the volume by 10 dB., but that involves the R141 surgery that I right now can't recommend to anyone... :/
Old 14th April 2012, 05:44 PM   #3660
diyAudio Member

Quote:
No. I was never blaming the ncores, knew it had nothing to do with them, was just posting to get some advice.
I don't think anyone was thinking you were blaming the ncores, but it is still good practice to rule them out as a source of the noise.

Hide this!Advertise here!