Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st March 2012, 04:46 PM   #3221
robbbby is offline robbbby  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julf View Post
Well, 0.5V is only 0.06W into 4 ohm, and only goes to the woofer, as the mid and tweeter have a capacitor in the crossover that cuts off the DC.

And the - side of the battery was connected to ground?
Guess I need a ground to close the circuit.

Just did some more testing with everything connected and tried some music playback... When I stopped playback and measured the outputs it was 0.88VDC at idle.

EDIT - if I remove the xlr cable coming from dac to amp it drops back to 0.5VDC

Last edited by robbbby; 31st March 2012 at 04:54 PM.
Old 31st March 2012, 04:50 PM   #3222
diyAudio Member

Quote:
And the - side of the battery was connected to ground?
Just checked, the "ground" on the J1 connector is an output, does that mean the - of the battery just gets connected to the chassis for a "ground" in order for the standby to work?
Old 31st March 2012, 05:01 PM   #3223
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I know this won't help you right now, but I think it is good to remember that the nc400 is not a kit, nor a product for consumers. Hypex is in the business of making modules (components) for OEM's to integrate into their products. We are lucky that they have kindly provided a way for us ordinary hobbyists to buy the modules. But as any component, it is up to us, as "system integrators/manufacturers" (even if we only make on amplifier) to understand the data sheets and specifications of the components/modules provided by the module manufacturer. And calling the component "hysteric" and getting tired of it is about as helpful as kicking a bicycle and calling it stupid if you don't know how to fix a flat tyre.

So, aside from any technical advice, I really suggest taking the old but true quotation from "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" to heart: "Assemby of japanese bicycle requires great peace of mind".
Julf,

Excellent! That is good for us all to remember when things don't go as planned!
Old 31st March 2012, 05:03 PM   #3224
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbbby View Post
Just checked, the "ground" on the J1 connector is an output, does that mean the - of the battery just gets connected to the chassis for a "ground" in order for the standby to work?
Well, yes, the ground on J1 is marked as output, but it is really just ground. So that's where you connect the - of the battery. But which ground is your chassis connected to?
Old 31st March 2012, 05:05 PM   #3225
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Well, yes, the ground on J1 is marked as output, but it is really just ground. So that's where you connect the - of the battery. But which ground is your chassis connected to?
Only thing connecting to the chassis are xlr pin1 and copper jacketing of the ncore 4 pin cable.
Old 31st March 2012, 05:26 PM   #3226
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Only thing connecting to the chassis are xlr pin1 and copper jacketing of the ncore 4 pin cable.
OK, good! So yes, battery - goes to J1 ground on the SMPS.
Old 31st March 2012, 05:48 PM   #3227
diyAudio Member

Thanks Julf. I'll use that setup once I get everything sorted out with my amps. Thanks for all the help.
Old 31st March 2012, 07:07 PM   #3228
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Thanks Julf. I'll use that setup once I get everything sorted out with my amps. Thanks for all the help.
one of the things I noted in your photos was the painted/finished chassis.

Make sure the finish is removed under the mating surfaces of the ground connections, such as the metal post on the power supply and were the other connectors attach, if possible use a multimeter to measure the resistance and make sure it is low, this can be a hidden problem that can cause oddities that don't seem to make sense.

also connect the pin 1 on the xlr to the lug next to it on the connector, it is a point to connect with minimal length to the chassis to prevent rfi (not one of your current problems)

I use the nAMPon wire to mute the amp and it works quite nicely, remember this amp only takes approx 5 watts when sitting unused in idle.

Alan
Old 31st March 2012, 07:32 PM   #3229
diyAudio Member

Alan are you referring to the unused tab on the xlr connector to ground the metal body?

Also all paint/anodizing was removed to the bare aluminum for the 2 chassis connectors at the xlr. I didn't remove anything on the one metal leg of the power supply though, it looked totally isolated from the rest of the board.
Old 31st March 2012, 08:37 PM   #3230
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Alan are you referring to the unused tab on the xlr connector to ground the metal body?

correct

Also all paint/anodizing was removed to the bare aluminum for the 2 chassis connectors at the xlr. I didn't remove anything on the one metal leg of the power supply though, it looked totally isolated from the rest of the board.

nope, its the chassis ground connection for the psu

Hide this!Advertise here!