hypex ncore - Page 322 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2012, 03:58 PM   #3211
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbbby View Post
Alright shorted pins 1 & 2 on the xlr connector without the input from the dac connected and i'm getting greater than 0.5VDC still.
Hmm. While 0.5V isn't catastrophically high, it is still definitely higher than I would have expected. I guess it would be good to wait for the hypex guys to chime in, unless you can measure the output with an oscilloscope.
  Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2012, 04:00 PM   #3212
robbbby is offline robbbby  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Is this normal? What kind of measurements are other guys with ncores getting? I thought I had maybe done something wrong but these are measurements with absolutely nothing connected except the 120VAC power supply. No speaker load and no dac input.
  Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2012, 04:01 PM   #3213
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Well it is possible to buy a lot of amplifier modules with no problems. My solution in this funny case could be to use XLR if RCA do not work.
  Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2012, 04:05 PM   #3214
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbbby View Post
Is this normal? What kind of measurements are other guys with ncores getting? I thought I had maybe done something wrong but these are measurements with absolutely nothing connected except the 120VAC power supply. No speaker load and no dac input.
Well, the hypex specs have a maximum of 0.05V, but I assume that is with load (speaker connected). Unfortunately I can't measure my own ones right now, but I remember it was definitely less than what you are seeing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2012, 04:06 PM   #3215
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erlend Sæterdal View Post
My solution in this funny case could be to use XLR if RCA do not work.
Well, that is the better solution anyway.
  Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2012, 04:14 PM   #3216
robbbby is offline robbbby  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julf View Post
Well, the hypex specs have a maximum of 0.05V, but I assume that is with load (speaker connected). Unfortunately I can't measure my own ones right now, but I remember it was definitely less than what you are seeing.
Do you know if there is something else that could possibly be causing this? It seems strange that both pairs of my ncore/smps have that high of a reading, seems as if I have done something wrong or something is bad on my end for both of them to do that.
  Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2012, 04:19 PM   #3217
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbbby View Post
It seems strange that both pairs of my ncore/smps have that high of a reading, seems as if I have done something wrong or something is bad on my end for both of them to do that.
I agree - especially if it still stays that high even with the speakers connected. But the amps work OK?
  Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2012, 04:21 PM   #3218
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erlend Sæterdal View Post
Well it is possible to buy a lot of amplifier modules with no problems.
Erlend,

I can understand your frustration. All I am saying is that it probably won't help in solving the problem.
  Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2012, 04:29 PM   #3219
robbbby is offline robbbby  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julf View Post
I agree - especially if it still stays that high even with the speakers connected. But the amps work OK?
Yes speakers connected and disconnected same dc output. And the amp does work but it still worries me about that high of a DC voltage, don't want to weld my drivers, plus the loud noises when shutting down regardless of what gets turned off first isn't too nice either.
I also just tested the standby connecting pin1 of j1 to the + side of a 9VDC battery and nothing happened.
  Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2012, 04:43 PM   #3220
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbbby View Post
the amp does work but it still worries me about that high of a DC voltage, don't want to weld my drivers.
Well, 0.5V is only 0.06W into 4 ohm, and only goes to the woofer, as the mid and tweeter have a capacitor in the crossover that cuts off the DC.

Quote:
I also just tested the standby connecting pin1 of j1 to the + side of a 9VDC battery and nothing happened.
And the - side of the battery was connected to ground?
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hypex problem, who can help Hansms Class D 9 18th August 2013 06:49 AM
Hypex steveww Class D 14 18th November 2010 01:44 PM
Question for those who have tried hypex smps with hypex modules avian Class D 12 3rd March 2009 09:30 AM
Hypex UcD 180AD + signal wires, Power Supply ST, Hypex Transformer TR100A c10h12n2 Swap Meet 7 7th July 2007 03:55 PM
FS: Hypex UcD 400/180AD, hypex toroid Archmage Swap Meet 4 14th November 2006 04:23 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 12:42 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2