hypex ncore - Page 266 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th February 2012, 09:35 PM   #2651
diyAudio Member

OK, I'll bite. Why do you guys call these switches "vandal". I see no reference to that in the data sheet.

Yes, they include the resistor in the switch, so you can use a higher voltage with an external resistor if desired.

Cheers

Alan Garren
Old 26th February 2012, 09:41 PM   #2652
diyAudio Member

Thanks Alan. These switches are designed to resist tampering for applications such as vending machines and the like. Most of them come with o-rings to make them water resistant and so on...

Bob
Old 26th February 2012, 10:37 PM   #2653
dan1502 is offline dan1502  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I have seen the light pipes on farnell etc but they all seem to be mounted to a pcb (with an LED on it). What I want to do is fit a flat faced light pipe/LED or LED flush with the outer edge of a 10mm panel using the best and simplest method. I would power it off the aux/ctrl circuit of the SMPS600. I was going to use a vandal switch on the front (and might still do so) but am now thinking it is probably unnecessary and too big for the design.
Old 27th February 2012, 06:13 AM   #2654
Corpius is offline Corpius  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan1502 View Post
Can anyone offer any advice/help with fitting light pipes and LEDs? I want a 3mm (or 5mm) flush (flat) indicator on a front panel of probably 10mm thickness so need to work out what to buy and how to fit it. I will also need to know how to fit the LED and what resistor to buy (I can probably work out the resistance).
I use a circuit with a single LED which only lights up when both smps600 are powered. I use a optocoupler to achieve this but it is possible to use a transistor as well.

I`ll post the circuit as soon as get to a normal computer.
Old 27th February 2012, 06:39 AM   #2655
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steidl Guitars View Post
Thanks Alan. These switches are designed to resist tampering for applications such as vending machines and the like. Most of them come with o-rings to make them water resistant and so on...

Bob
Thanks, I thought maybe they were about to sack Rome.
Old 27th February 2012, 06:52 AM   #2656
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mr_push_pull
Quote:
I have seen the light pipes on farnell etc but they all seem to be mounted to a pcb (with an LED on it). What I want to do is fit a flat faced light pipe/LED or LED flush with the outer edge of a 10mm panel using the best and simplest method. I would power it off the aux/ctrl circuit of the SMPS600. I was going to use a vandal switch on the front (and might still do so) but am now thinking it is probably unnecessary and too big for the design.
then use a flat top LED fitted flush to front panel. the hole may need to be wider at back on the panel so the LED top reaches the surface of the panel.
Old 27th February 2012, 07:03 AM   #2657
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_push_pull View Post
then use a flat top LED fitted flush to front panel. the hole may need to be wider at back on the panel so the LED top reaches the surface of the panel.
In which case do you glue it in place and just solder a resistor to the positive side then shrink wrap it?
Old 27th February 2012, 07:04 AM   #2658
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpius View Post
I use a circuit with a single LED which only lights up when both smps600 are powered. I use a optocoupler to achieve this but it is possible to use a transistor as well.

I`ll post the circuit as soon as get to a normal computer.
I am making monoblocks so just need it to indicate when the SMPS is switched on.
Old 27th February 2012, 07:08 AM   #2659
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mr_push_pull
Quote:
In which case do you glue it in place and just solder a resistor to the positive side then shrink wrap it?
why not.
Old 27th February 2012, 07:29 AM   #2660
diyAudio Member

It seems this is more compicated than I thought as they seem to operate at much lower voltages than the 21V aux output unless someone can point me in the direction of a suitable 3mm flush mount clear blue LED.

(I think I might now understand this better having found an equation but help would still be appreciated)

Last edited by dan1502; 27th February 2012 at 07:54 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!