Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd June 2011, 02:56 PM   #201
sek is offline sek  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Putzeys View Post
After I get a TV.
Postpone that as long as possible!
Old 23rd June 2011, 03:21 PM   #202
AP2 is online now AP2  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phase_accurate View Post

haha.. nice, but there are many other reasons to laugh... ;-)
Old 23rd June 2011, 06:29 PM   #203
diyAudio Member

Default Stopping the integrator during clipping....

..identical headaches in self oscillating designs and clocked as well...
The struggle with the integrator during clipping catches us all.

@ Bruno:
Figure 5 of your patent shows three embodyments of the integrator.
5A, zenering the cap: Obviously the most traditional solution, but not fortunate regarding distortion. Your excellent distortion values indicate that this is just a theoretic option, but not your real solution...
5B, shorting the cap: I guess - even if done not by a hard short but resistive, this solution might be not always act perfectly calm.
5C, disconnecting the integrator from the input:
That's temptating ! Do you need any kind of a parallel signal path?
Or do you fully rely on the information of the deviation detection circuit and simply reconnect the integrator again as soon as the deviation detection circuit 'thinks' that the output would now/soon go back below clipping? ....starting to love this idea....

BTW:
Instead of clamping the cap with zeners like in figure 5A, is there a reason
not to clamp the output of the integrator stage towards GND or against reference levels? In this configuration the low output impedance of the OP-Amp circuit theoretically keeps diode related distortions low until the voltage really comes close to the clamping voltage.
(Or if possible: Simply adjusting the OP amp supply, so that the integrator cannot run to far away).
Old 23rd June 2011, 07:03 PM   #204
diyAudio Member

If the clip detector and a switch are fast enough, one could reset the integrator's memory once a PWM cycle close to clipping, with varying duty of integrate-reset actions (one-cycle modulator style) killing the (1/2piLC) ripple whenever it happens.
Old 23rd June 2011, 09:20 PM   #205
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkfenriz View Post
If the clip detector and a switch are fast enough, one could reset the integrator's memory once a PWM cycle close to clipping, with varying duty of integrate-reset actions (one-cycle modulator style) killing the (1/2piLC) ripple whenever it happens.
I guess your proposal relates to the version 5B, right?
Old 23rd June 2011, 09:40 PM   #206
diyAudio Member

yes
Old 24th June 2011, 06:47 AM   #207
diyAudio Member

You'll all understand I'm not going to disclose details so if I respond (very!) selectively to discussions about the guts of the amp as relates to the patent drawings that's entirely intentional.

CH: Clamping the output of an op amp amounts to shorting it. You could diode clamp the high z node of a folded cascode op amp but then they would make it distort quite heavily again.
Old 24th June 2011, 06:55 AM   #208
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Or if possible: Simply adjusting the OP amp supply, so that the integrator cannot run to far away
What would be the difference between this and the diode clipper - apart from the fact that the diode clipper doesn't saturate "internally" (and would therefore behaves better) ?

IMO at least the diode-clipper and the reset with the switch are not actually novel since they have been used in noise-shapers before. Maybe the fact that these are used in a non delta-sigma style modulator is novel enoght - who knows ?

Regards

Charles
Old 24th June 2011, 10:59 AM   #209
diyAudio Member

Quote:
You'll all understand I'm not going to disclose details so if I respond (very!) selectively to discussions about the guts of the amp as relates to the patent drawings that's entirely intentional.
...to bad that we are touching confidential know how which you are making your living of...
But I definitely love the clear way of your answer - already noticed similar upright comments on commercial reality from you earlier in this thread.

Quote:
CH: Clamping the output of an op amp amounts to shorting it.
Obviously yes. But most types are designed to handle not just clamping, but even a fully shorted output for unlimited time. The chip designer has spend some love to this feature (at least he copied the building block... ) - wouldn't it be a pity if nobody wants to use it?
Old 24th June 2011, 11:19 AM   #210
diyAudio Member

Quote:
What would be the difference between this and the diode clipper - apart from the fact that the diode clipper doesn't saturate "internally" (and would therefore behaves better) ?
The zener clipper in the feedback is adding the worst amount of distortion, because in this configuration already few micro amps in the diode do massively influence the output. Means if you use two 4V7 zeners in the feedback, it will dominate the over all distortions already at 2V may be even earlier. If the zeners are placed from output to ground the distortions remain low until the diode current reaches the mA range and really starts to clamp.
The saturating limitation by the supply also is by far more 'sharp' than the zener feedback, and it is for free. In fact the clipping recovery of modern OP amps is fast enough for usual integrators in class D amps.

Quote:
IMO at least the diode-clipper and the reset with the switch are not actually4novel since they have been used in noise-shapers before. Maybe the fact that these are used in a non delta-sigma style modulator is novel enoght - who knows ?

Regards

Charles
Well, patent laws and interpretation do not fit into my simple brain.
Without a lawyer and a powerful company I would not even start to file a single patent.
If you have time and money - feel free to fight Bruno's patent. It is filed, but not granted by now.

For me at least the idea around figure 5C is new and really nice!

Last edited by ChocoHolic; 24th June 2011 at 11:27 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!